The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

LDH Level – Advice please

Forums General Melanoma Community LDH Level – Advice please

Participant
      Hello,

This is my first post here as when Googling LDH I found this website.

I;ve not yet really been diagnosed with anything as I don’t feel these are related myself but Ill mention them anyway:

– Fibromyalgia
      – Disc degeneration at the L5/S1. > Degenerative Disc Disease
      – L5/S1 , L4/5 , L3/4 Circumferential disc protrusion abutting the exiting roots.
      – Multilevel mild facet degenerative changes.
      – Mild hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum at L3/4.
      – Mild periarticular oedema of the postero-inferior aspect of left sacroiliac joint.
      – Mild subchondral oedema at the posteroinferior aspect of the left sacroiliac joint could be suggestive of early sacroiliitis.
      – Focal high signal medial aspect of the distal shaft of femora likely normal marrow variation
      – Mild bilateral trochanteric bursitis noted
      – Mild bilateral iliotibial band friction

Below is my LDH levels with dates…is this anything to be concerned about. I do have a yearly CT scan as 2-3 years ago they notices some nodules in my lungs. next one is 21st Jan 2019. The last couple they have said no changes. But I am curious as to why my LDH went up that high and seems to be going back down as I have not had any major injury’s or anything.

The nodules were:

3mm sub-pleural nodule in the right middle lobe
      3mm calcified granuloma in the right upper lobe
      2mm peri fissural nodule on the right

15-Apr-19 – 456 iu/L [135.0 – 360.0]

17-Jul-19 – 620 iu/L [135.0 – 360.0]

09-Oct-19 – 522 iu/L [135.0 – 360.0]

05-Dec-19 – 378 iu/L [135.0 – 360.0]

Canany offer and suggestions or advice on this please.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        tedtell1
        Participant
          Hi;
          I guess no one has answered your questions as it may be difficult. Are you asking about LDH levels? Are you suffering from all those conditions you mentioned? Have you been diagnosed with melanoma? I see that you are being monitored for lung nodules. My understanding is that many people can have lung nodules show up without any active disease and even have them as a result of past illnesses.
          I guess the other question is; why are they monitoring your LDH levels? Sorry I can’t really answer your question, but hope you are feeling okay and that your January scan goes well.
          Ted
            ktheed
            Participant
              Yes I have been told I have all of the following above in my post.

I was hoping to get a bit more information on the nodules though as well as LDH as I noticed my LDH was high and these nodules too…both were making me worry about the big C as my nan passed with Barrett’s in her esophagus. Im due my yearly scan on 21st Jan for the nodules, hoping they have stayed the same. I just came across this site when using Google to try and find out a bit more info on them so thought I would ask here as I noticed there was a few other posts about LDH and nodules so didn’t want to hijack another person thread and created my own.

Thank you for your reply 🙂

Bubbles
            Participant
              This is a melanoma site – so if you are looking for information about other disease processes it is unlikely that you will find what you are looking for here. However, generally speaking – LDH (the measure of an enzyme – lactate dehydrogenase) is not a very specific lab value. It is elevated when there is tissue damage. That damage could be due to a wide range of things – from an extreme exercise work out to a heart attack, chronic tissue damage from things like anemia, infections and yes – various types of cancer. If whatever is causing the tissue damage resolves then the level goes down.

Hope that helps. c

fedupnurse67
              Participant
                LDH levels show tissue damage, and is an indicator that something maybe wrong when it starts to go up. I was diagnosed with melanoma in 2000, left groin lymph node removed, 1 year of interferon. NED for 19 years. LDH was checked every year. This past March had an elevated LDH, repeat LDH in July. Was even higher. Because of this I was sent for a CT scan, which showed some enlarged lymph nodes in peri-aortic cavity. CT scan biopsy in August showed my melanoma had reoccurred.
                LDH is used primarily for melanoma, and keeping an eye on it.
                  fedupnurse67
                  Participant
                    Possibly going back down because your bodies immune system kicked in and took care of whatever was causing the LDH level to go up. People with melanoma get immunotherapy, to kick start your immune system into fighting. (that’s a very basic description of immunotherapy, it is more complicated for sure)
                    ktheed
                    Participant
                      Thank you Donna, When receiving a copy of my bloods this was something that was highlighted as being at an Abnormal level so I wanted to try and find out a bit more about it and when googling it I came across this website and see there was a few posts about it so guessed this community may know a bit about it. Thank you for your reply.
                Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics