The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Latest results

Forums General Melanoma Community Latest results

Participant

So LDH went up more and now platelets were elevated. I think high end of range is 450,000 and mine was 488,000. I looked on this forum and everything is low platelet counts…anyone know anything about elevated platelet counts?

Josh

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Spl25
        Participant

I can't see how elevated platelets (in and of itself) would be a bad thing.  I've had elevated platelets a couple of times, which my doctor said was insignificant. 

Spl25
          Participant

I can't see how elevated platelets (in and of itself) would be a bad thing.  I've had elevated platelets a couple of times, which my doctor said was insignificant. 

Spl25
            Participant

jbronicki
              Participant

Hey Josh,

I keep coming back to Mat's response that LDH is a marker for inflammation.  I looked up platelets and they are very connected to the Immune Response and the Immune Response is very closely related to the Inflammatory Response.  I'm not sure what this all means (I need to read the literature further) but it could just be your bodies response during treatment.  I'm not sure it's necessarily a bad thing, your body is fighting and any time your body fights there is inflammation, etc.  So this may be a reactive condition rather than indicative of disease, etc. 

Again, I'm leaning on my biochemistry/immunology days from college and not a doctor, but I'm going to look into this further.  I think Mat was correct that LDH alone, is only indicative of secondary inflammation.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ah/2012/384685/

http://www.bloodjournal.org/content/123/18/2759?sso-checked=true

Hope MDA was ok and let us know if you need anything at all!

Cheers,

Jackie

JoshF
                  Participant

Thank you Jackie for doing some research! You've always been so kind to me. I'm hoping this isn't all that horrible. You just read about how elevated LDH isn't a good indicator. It sticks in my head. 

Josh

JoshF
                    Participant

Thank you Jackie for doing some research! You've always been so kind to me. I'm hoping this isn't all that horrible. You just read about how elevated LDH isn't a good indicator. It sticks in my head. 

Josh

JoshF
                      Participant

Josh

jbronicki
                      Participant

Hey Josh,

I keep coming back to Mat's response that LDH is a marker for inflammation.  I looked up platelets and they are very connected to the Immune Response and the Immune Response is very closely related to the Inflammatory Response.  I'm not sure what this all means (I need to read the literature further) but it could just be your bodies response during treatment.  I'm not sure it's necessarily a bad thing, your body is fighting and any time your body fights there is inflammation, etc.  So this may be a reactive condition rather than indicative of disease, etc. 

Again, I'm leaning on my biochemistry/immunology days from college and not a doctor, but I'm going to look into this further.  I think Mat was correct that LDH alone, is only indicative of secondary inflammation.

Cheers,

Jackie

jbronicki
                        Participant

Hey Josh,

Cheers,

Jackie

Bubbles
                          Participant

Hey Joshie,

Just like an increased LDH, increased platelet counts can be caused by many things….including trauma, major surgery, inflammation, auto-immune disorders…..and one may also presume….INDUCED immune "disorders"!!!  Keep in mind that tissue necrosis….like dying, dried up, DEAD, melanoma tumors!!!!…can increase LDH!!!  Not trying to be too much of a Polly Anna…but just say'n!!!  Fingers and toes crossed for you!  Love, c

JoshF
                              Participant

Thanks Celeste…I always appreciate your optimism and uplifting attitude. I need to kill some of these bastards off for sure!!!

love,

Joshie

JoshF
                                Participant

Thanks Celeste…I always appreciate your optimism and uplifting attitude. I need to kill some of these bastards off for sure!!!

love,

Joshie

JoshF
                                  Participant

love,

Joshie

Bubbles
                                  Participant

Hey Joshie,

Just like an increased LDH, increased platelet counts can be caused by many things….including trauma, major surgery, inflammation, auto-immune disorders…..and one may also presume….INDUCED immune "disorders"!!!  Keep in mind that tissue necrosis….like dying, dried up, DEAD, melanoma tumors!!!!…can increase LDH!!!  Not trying to be too much of a Polly Anna…but just say'n!!!  Fingers and toes crossed for you!  Love, c

Bubbles
                                    Participant

Hey Joshie,

jvictoria
                                      Participant

Just prior to my second dosage of IPI/Keytruda my LDH ws 565 U/L. I've had a low grade fever for 3 weeks now.

Hukill
                                          Participant

I had fever for 6 weeks aroung that same time, took motrin until it stopped.

Hukill
                                            Participant

jvictoria
                                              Participant

Thanks… I hope it stops soon.

jvictoria
                                                Participant

jvictoria
                                                  Participant

Hukill
                                                    Participant

jvictoria
                                                    Participant

Just prior to my second dosage of IPI/Keytruda my LDH ws 565 U/L. I've had a low grade fever for 3 weeks now.

jvictoria
                                                      Participant

Kim K
                                                        Participant

Cancer patients are at greater risks for clots.  Increased platelet counts may put you at higher risk, just be careful.  I had a pulmonary embolus after my VATS with very minimal tumor burden.  You may want to make sure those numbers aren't getting alarming with your doc.  Just throwing that curve for something to chew on.  Would hate to lose this damned fight from a stupid clot.

I know I was pissed off when I was in the middle of my attack, hell I couldn't breathe.  How dare I not be given the time to fight this bastard of a disease only to be taken out at the knees by a clot.  Ever since then, when I have surgery ex. ACL reconstruction, I get put on blood thinners for a short time after.  I am allergic to aspirin so that is out.

Keep up the fight, we have your back.

Kim K
                                                          Participant

Cancer patients are at greater risks for clots.  Increased platelet counts may put you at higher risk, just be careful.  I had a pulmonary embolus after my VATS with very minimal tumor burden.  You may want to make sure those numbers aren't getting alarming with your doc.  Just throwing that curve for something to chew on.  Would hate to lose this damned fight from a stupid clot.

I know I was pissed off when I was in the middle of my attack, hell I couldn't breathe.  How dare I not be given the time to fight this bastard of a disease only to be taken out at the knees by a clot.  Ever since then, when I have surgery ex. ACL reconstruction, I get put on blood thinners for a short time after.  I am allergic to aspirin so that is out.

Kim K
                                                            Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics