The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Latest FNA results

Forums General Melanoma Community Latest FNA results

Participant

A few weeks ago I had a fine needle biopsy on my arm – melanoma. Went and spoke to Dr. White in Charlotte. Another PET before surgery and sure enough 2 more spots lit up.  One was the thyroid which was diagnosed 4 years ago as Hashimoto's disease but it had doubled in size in the last few months. The other was a node behind the collar bone that had shown up on previous scans but was determined to be not showing change. This time it was showing change.  

A few weeks ago I had a fine needle biopsy on my arm – melanoma. Went and spoke to Dr. White in Charlotte. Another PET before surgery and sure enough 2 more spots lit up.  One was the thyroid which was diagnosed 4 years ago as Hashimoto's disease but it had doubled in size in the last few months. The other was a node behind the collar bone that had shown up on previous scans but was determined to be not showing change. This time it was showing change.  

Thyroid remains fine but the node is mel.  Waiting to hear what the tumor board has to say.  So now I'm a little over 4 years at stage IV. Almost made 1 year NED. Will take the night off and show my emotions and tomorrow will put back my positive attitude and find out what's next. 

I have to give credit to the radiologist in Charlotte. It took him 70 min to painstakingly work around the collarbone and veins that were in the way but he perservered and was able to get a large enough sample. 

Linda

Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Replies
        Kevin from Atlanta
        Participant

I am so sorry to hear that. I sent an e-mail.

Kevin from Atlanta
          Participant

I am so sorry to hear that. I sent an e-mail.

ValinMtl
            Participant

Thinking of you Linda during this very tough time, in my prayers and thoughts.  Val

ValinMtl
              Participant

Thinking of you Linda during this very tough time, in my prayers and thoughts.  Val

jag
                Participant

Linda, I am sorry to hear this news.  The good thing is, it sounds like you and your team are right on top of it. 

Best

John 

jag
                  Participant

Linda, I am sorry to hear this news.  The good thing is, it sounds like you and your team are right on top of it. 

Best

John 

lovingwifedeb
                    Participant

Dear Linda,

I know you have recently moved and I have been wondering about you now that you are closer to family? I am very sorry about this latest setback for you… the more people who respond to my posts the more I am slowly getting to know each of you. It's like adopting an extended family… Take care of yourself and absorb all the love your family and friends can give you.

Deb, caretaker

lovingwife to Bob, stage 3c

lovingwifedeb
                      Participant

Dear Linda,

I know you have recently moved and I have been wondering about you now that you are closer to family? I am very sorry about this latest setback for you… the more people who respond to my posts the more I am slowly getting to know each of you. It's like adopting an extended family… Take care of yourself and absorb all the love your family and friends can give you.

Deb, caretaker

lovingwife to Bob, stage 3c

lovingwifedeb
                        Participant

Linda,

Thanks for your response the other day unfortunately I deleteded your email and lost your address, so this was the only place I knew how to reach you.

You had asked me if Bob had decided on his future? He was looking for a doctor to treat him for the long haul, someone who would help him no matter what his decision would be. Lots of calls asking who was the best in our area and one name always popped up so that interview with that particular doctor/onocologist happened this week. Bob feels pretty comfortable with him as far as doctors go. This doctor also runs the cancer vaccine trial but Bob has decided NOT to go that way. He has also decided NOT to do the Interferon.

We have spent lots of hours reading about this disease and feel we are doing what is best for his body for now. Bob is stage 3c. His tumor was self contained although large (almost 3 inches) no other lymph nodes were involved and his surgeon removed all surrounding upper and lower. He is finally healing from that after two surgeries. He is finally feeling better and wants to get his body in better shape and his health in better control. He primary melanoma was never found. Bob and his doctor feel it just "may" be possible Bob's body, his own defense system took care of destroying the primary but some of the melanoma cells escaped and the tumor developed in his leg/groin. We are also taking the chance that some cells didn't escape later and set up housekeeping and won't be found later in a year or two…

Unless Bob is in stage 4 his options for treatment aren't as varied as seen on this discussion board and refuses to ravage his body and makes things worse by destroying his defenses. This is his choice and as his wife I support him. This does not mean he will not be monitored. Every 3 months he will have scans or be thoroughly checked out by his doctor through tests.

I will keep writing and living with the "monster under the bed".

Thank you for asking, and I will be thinking about you. Please send me another email, I promise not to delete again…

Deb,

lovingwife to Bob

lovingwifedeb
                          Participant

Linda,

Thanks for your response the other day unfortunately I deleteded your email and lost your address, so this was the only place I knew how to reach you.

You had asked me if Bob had decided on his future? He was looking for a doctor to treat him for the long haul, someone who would help him no matter what his decision would be. Lots of calls asking who was the best in our area and one name always popped up so that interview with that particular doctor/onocologist happened this week. Bob feels pretty comfortable with him as far as doctors go. This doctor also runs the cancer vaccine trial but Bob has decided NOT to go that way. He has also decided NOT to do the Interferon.

We have spent lots of hours reading about this disease and feel we are doing what is best for his body for now. Bob is stage 3c. His tumor was self contained although large (almost 3 inches) no other lymph nodes were involved and his surgeon removed all surrounding upper and lower. He is finally healing from that after two surgeries. He is finally feeling better and wants to get his body in better shape and his health in better control. He primary melanoma was never found. Bob and his doctor feel it just "may" be possible Bob's body, his own defense system took care of destroying the primary but some of the melanoma cells escaped and the tumor developed in his leg/groin. We are also taking the chance that some cells didn't escape later and set up housekeeping and won't be found later in a year or two…

Unless Bob is in stage 4 his options for treatment aren't as varied as seen on this discussion board and refuses to ravage his body and makes things worse by destroying his defenses. This is his choice and as his wife I support him. This does not mean he will not be monitored. Every 3 months he will have scans or be thoroughly checked out by his doctor through tests.

I will keep writing and living with the "monster under the bed".

Thank you for asking, and I will be thinking about you. Please send me another email, I promise not to delete again…

Deb,

lovingwife to Bob

dian in spokane
                            Participant

Linda,

I missed this post last week! it was my 'shot day' so I must have just..somehow not seen it. I'm sorry to hear you've got another spot when you've been doing so well lately.

I'll keep you in my thoughts. You are like me, the energizer bunny when it comes to this shit, I have faith you'll knock this out of the park this time too.

good luck!

dian

dian in spokane
                              Participant

Linda,

I missed this post last week! it was my 'shot day' so I must have just..somehow not seen it. I'm sorry to hear you've got another spot when you've been doing so well lately.

I'll keep you in my thoughts. You are like me, the energizer bunny when it comes to this shit, I have faith you'll knock this out of the park this time too.

good luck!

dian

debbieVA
                                Participant

CRAP!  You know I'd like to use another word to describe my feelings….OK…regroup…Bad news lymph node….good news Thyroid is clear!  Linda you have been through so much…this friggin' roller coaster ride we are on….So if I say…lymph node better than major organ….I know it doesn't really help….but pray to God it's manageable.  

For those of you who haven't met Linda, she is a very sweet and gentle lady. ….. and brave.  I'm bumping you up on my prayer list….

Love and hugs…

Debbie Stage 4 NED

debbieVA
                                  Participant

CRAP!  You know I'd like to use another word to describe my feelings….OK…regroup…Bad news lymph node….good news Thyroid is clear!  Linda you have been through so much…this friggin' roller coaster ride we are on….So if I say…lymph node better than major organ….I know it doesn't really help….but pray to God it's manageable.  

For those of you who haven't met Linda, she is a very sweet and gentle lady. ….. and brave.  I'm bumping you up on my prayer list….

Love and hugs…

Debbie Stage 4 NED

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics