The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Last Goodbye Before I head to the Sandbox! Could I get one last piece of advice?

Forums General Melanoma Community Last Goodbye Before I head to the Sandbox! Could I get one last piece of advice?

Participant

I had my last derm appt this week. The derms say I am good to go. They removed the moles on my back with are harder to monitor and measured moles that need to be watched. Thankfully, a derm will be on base every three months, so if anything comes up, I can ask him. Dream come true if you want to ask me. I was very hesitant about asking my fellow jarheads to examine my back!

With that said, I would love to have your advice on one last issue. When it comes to watching for "change"….What characterists do you use to determine whether or not a mole is ready to be taken off? Two of the four suspicious lesions are already pretty dark, but have not changed for quite some time, therefore, we have left them. So, with that said, when it comes to change in color, that might not help. But do melanomas tend to grow? Or change shape? I know the ABCD's of moles, but that does not really help because all my moles are weird. And, how long is the "in situ" process. I am hoping to catch more moles in this stage, rather than stage 1. But is that even possible.

Thank you all for your help during this hard time in my life. I will have my wife give you updates. In fact, she would be more than happy to give updates. She said my attitude completely changed when I started talking to you all! Jared.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

The research doctor at my institution who does "mole mapping" clinical studies (so is constantly monitoring atypical moles) describes change as ASYMMETRICAL.  Symmetrical change is ok, but when only part of the lesion changes then that is a red flag. 

Good luck!

Janner

jaredmiller16
            Participant

Could not thank you enough! Great info. Asked my derm the same questions and I knew you would come back with something a lot more useful! You're amazing. Thank you for all you have done for this board.

jaredmiller16
              Participant

Could not thank you enough! Great info. Asked my derm the same questions and I knew you would come back with something a lot more useful! You're amazing. Thank you for all you have done for this board.

jaredmiller16
                Participant

Janner
                Participant

The research doctor at my institution who does "mole mapping" clinical studies (so is constantly monitoring atypical moles) describes change as ASYMMETRICAL.  Symmetrical change is ok, but when only part of the lesion changes then that is a red flag. 

Good luck!

Janner

Janner
                  Participant

Good luck!

Janner

TracyLee
                    Participant

Jared,

Semper Fi!

Prayers for your safety in Afghanistan, and when you return. 

Thank you for your service, I personally know how hard it is to be away during the holidays (or any day) from your kids and family.

TracyLee Stage IV

jaredmiller16
                        Participant

Thank you. There have been several tears this week. My kids are small, so it gets hard, especially for my wife. Thanks for your support. My wife is keeping a close eye on you. When we say we're going to pray for someone, we really do, and we prayed for you at dinner.  Oorah.

jaredmiller16
                          Participant

Thank you. There have been several tears this week. My kids are small, so it gets hard, especially for my wife. Thanks for your support. My wife is keeping a close eye on you. When we say we're going to pray for someone, we really do, and we prayed for you at dinner.  Oorah.

jaredmiller16
                            Participant

TracyLee
                            Participant

Jared,

Semper Fi!

Thank you for your service, I personally know how hard it is to be away during the holidays (or any day) from your kids and family.

TracyLee Stage IV

TracyLee
                              Participant

Jared,

Semper Fi!

TracyLee Stage IV

lhaley
                                Participant

Be safe! 

Linda

lhaley
                                  Participant

Be safe! 

Linda

lhaley
                                    Participant

Be safe! 

Linda

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics