The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Kidney Stones?

Forums General Melanoma Community Kidney Stones?

Participant

Hi again. I just posted about dry heaves, and I wanted to post separately about husband's OTHER odd issue – pain with urination. Apparently there is blood in his urine – (yes, his med team is aware, but does not seem super concerned about this). 

We are in the proceses of getting him a referal to Urology, but apparently it is a process. (SO frustrating!) 

An 'unremarkable' finding in scans from November and again in February show a polypoloid lesion in his kidney – but it was unchanged from Nov to Feb, so they think it could be a kidney stone. 

He is drinking LOTS of water (but always has). He has terrible difficulty peeing lately – not a lot of output, and VERY painful when trying. He feels as if he cannot drink enough water. He had labs done yesterdday and everthing was normal. They did give him IV hydration just in case. And afterward, he still could not pee.

He was prescribed pyridium to help alleviate some of the discomfort, but that is a very temporary fix, and only barely takes the edge off anyway. 

My question is has anyone had anything like this? If it was kidney stones, what did they do? Any (quick) home remedies work for anyone? 

Thank you so much,

Diane

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Rocco
        Participant

My husband has had 3 separate episodes of kidney stones…very painful each time.  Two of the three required immediate ER visits to first detect and then treat with strong pain meds (morphine drip at the ER and then went home with Oxicodone to take as needed).  Each time CT/MRI scans showed them too small to do anything but drink tons of water and try to pass them while taking pain meds.  They gave him FloMax medication to try and pee even more.  No home remedies for this.  He did NOT have any trouble peeing during any of the episodes….that would be a red flag for me.  I hope your husband and his medical team figure this out soon.   Hang in there Diane!

dmarie
            Participant

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately we learned the cause yesterday (after CT scans / oncologist follow up). Cancer has advanced, and now there is a mass in his bladder. The lesion they identified in November did not change in the February scan, so "unremarkable". But by this scan (May), it had tripled in size. Dr. is recommending palliative radiation. (Very bad news yesterday…)

Rocco
              Participant

Diane –  I am so very sorry to hear this.  Sending you and your husband prayers from NH this evening.

cjm22
              Participant

Hi Diane, just wanted to say I'm sorry you and your husband are going through this. I'm just so sorry. I hope things improve with the radiation.

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics