The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

keytruda to Opdivo

Forums General Melanoma Community keytruda to Opdivo

Participant

After a recent change of insurance companies in November, my infusions of Keytruda are no longer being covered. My Dr is switching me to Opdivo, which I've been told is very similar to Keytruda. I'm not thrilled about the change, partly because I'll be having infusions more frequently and I'm trying to maintain my job as a 3rd grade teacher.  Has anyone else experienced this transition?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        MovingOn
        Participant

2 things:

1. Opdivo has submitted for an every 4 week infusion. Keytruda has counter submitted. So there is a race for how infrequently you can get immunotherapy with the same effectiveness.

2. Keytruda (Merck) has a program where they cover all insured patient costs beyond $25. They reimburse whatever amount is charged to the patient (not paid by insurance) beyond $25/infusion.

i also believe that Opdivo and Keytruda are the same but if one is working for you then I would like to help you stay on that one.

jennunicorn
          Participant

They are both anti-PD1 drugs made by different companies, so yes basically the same drug, it is using the same immune pathway either way. Opdivo is every 2 weeks whereas Keytruda is every 3 weeks, so I totally understand the frustration in having to go more often. I did it for a year, sucked, but do-able. Insurance companies sure love to make our lives more complicated than it needs to be sometimes. 

ed williams
            Participant

Hi ajpeterson, just to add to what movingon gave you above is a link to the application by BMS that is to ruled on by March but things have been moving pretty quick in Immunotherapy approvals lately so it may come in earlier!!! Also, according to the courts who ruled on a patent infringement case, where Merck had to pay BMS some where around 650 million plus 6 or 7% royalities on all Pembro sales until 2026, Merck copied BMS drug Nivo, which they bought from a Japanesse company Ono. https://news.bms.com/press-release/corporatefinancial-news/us-food-and-drug-administration-accepts-bristol-myers-squibbs-

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics