The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Keytruda side effects

Forums General Melanoma Community Keytruda side effects

Participant

Does anybody else on keytruda have terrible mech back and shoulder muscle pain? Thanks

anne-Louise 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jubes
        Participant

That's neck! I am on a bus!

Jubes
          Participant

Jubes
            Participant

Julie in SoCal
                Participant

I've only had one dose of Pembro and for the whole week after it I had pain in my lower back knees and shoulders.  I figured this was all od the places where I have arthritis.  Now 2 weeks out, I feel fine and am looking forward to one more good week!

shalom 

julie

Julie in SoCal
                  Participant

I've only had one dose of Pembro and for the whole week after it I had pain in my lower back knees and shoulders.  I figured this was all od the places where I have arthritis.  Now 2 weeks out, I feel fine and am looking forward to one more good week!

shalom 

julie

Julie in SoCal
                    Participant

shalom 

julie

Twhite00000
                      Participant
                        Stage 4 lung met. I am 4 months post lung surgery which was a major fail no tumor removal due to an inoperable number of small nodules a complete left lung removal would have been the only option. They biopsied a wedge with multiple nodules and they all were melanoma. I opted to try keytrudra and the last scan after three months of treatments shows the tumor that was left in me at surgery to be stable at less than 2cm. I had just gotten back to “normal” felt great actually then just before 4th treatment I started getting neck and shoulder pain. I am on a low dose of prednisone to reduce inflamation but the pain has persisted for three weeks now and has gotten much worse. Did you find a remedy?
                        Twhite00000
                        Participant
                          Stage 4 lung met. I am 4 months post lung surgery which was a major fail no tumor removal due to an inoperable number of small nodules a complete left lung removal would have been the only option. They biopsied a wedge with multiple nodules and they all were melanoma. I opted to try keytrudra and the last scan after three months of treatments shows the tumor that was left in me at surgery to be stable at less than 2cm. I had just gotten back to “normal” felt great actually then just before 4th treatment I started getting neck and shoulder pain. I am on a low dose of prednisone to reduce inflamation but the pain has persisted for three weeks now and has gotten much worse. Did you find a remedy?
                          Twhite00000
                          Participant
                          arthurjedi007
                          Participant

Not caused by the keytruda nope. Now that pesky 12 cm by 10cm tumor in my shoulder can be a pain but it's much better again since the radiation while staying on keytruda. I haven't needed any pain meds in at least 6 weeks I think.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                            Participant

Not caused by the keytruda nope. Now that pesky 12 cm by 10cm tumor in my shoulder can be a pain but it's much better again since the radiation while staying on keytruda. I haven't needed any pain meds in at least 6 weeks I think.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                              Participant

Artie

Jubes
                                Participant

Thanks. I have never had this type of pain before. I can't turn over in bed or put the seatbelt on in the car and it is gradually spreading from my shoulder blade now up to my neck and down my back. I feel 100 years old. I have it getting worse for two months. I remember celeste posting something that my own doctors Kefford snd Carlino published regarding side effects of some patients on keytruda after 12 months and 14 months on it but I can't find it. I have scans at the end of April  so I will post anything interesting regarding whether this is keytruda side effects, disease progression or something different. 

Anne-Louise 

Jubes
                                  Participant

Thanks. I have never had this type of pain before. I can't turn over in bed or put the seatbelt on in the car and it is gradually spreading from my shoulder blade now up to my neck and down my back. I feel 100 years old. I have it getting worse for two months. I remember celeste posting something that my own doctors Kefford snd Carlino published regarding side effects of some patients on keytruda after 12 months and 14 months on it but I can't find it. I have scans at the end of April  so I will post anything interesting regarding whether this is keytruda side effects, disease progression or something different. 

Anne-Louise 

Ames K
                                      Participant

I have had the same thing, so I hope that makes you feel better. Many times I have thought the disease had spread there snd it hadn't. Even when I was on tafinlar. I've now had 3 infusions of keytruda and still my shoulders, upper arms and neck hurt bAdly. One of my shoulders is actually frozen, I can barely move it. Hope that helps! Amy

Ames K
                                        Participant

I have had the same thing, so I hope that makes you feel better. Many times I have thought the disease had spread there snd it hadn't. Even when I was on tafinlar. I've now had 3 infusions of keytruda and still my shoulders, upper arms and neck hurt bAdly. One of my shoulders is actually frozen, I can barely move it. Hope that helps! Amy

Ames K
                                          Participant

Jubes
                                            Participant

Yep. Helps a lot! Thanks 

Jubes
                                              Participant

Yep. Helps a lot! Thanks 

Jubes
                                                Participant

Yep. Helps a lot! Thanks 

AnitaLoree
                                                  Participant

Jubes: Interesting and curious about this. My husband on Keytruda since 9/14 with increasing weakness, instability and pain in left quad tendons, knee attachments.  Med history different tho'.  Was probably dropped immediately post op (10/13, is 6-6 tall, lean, and ICU aid staff was usually short, initially one person) and likely suffered a stressful extreme weighted flexion to L knee, also developed large bursa to L elbow. After we got him home and stabilized, he began PT on left leg and was making good progress strengthening, balance, little pain, etc.  When he started Keytruda 11 mo later that knee went down hill.  My theory is that he went into Keytruda with some tenosynovitis still present and his now jacked up immune system has T cells also attacking the quad tendons besides (hopefully) his residual cervical spine melanoma.  So he started out with a possible L knee T cell target but you and your other posters had no concurrent muscle/tendon strains/inflammation so maybe my theory doesn't hold.  What we are doing about it:  because L knee is so limiting his activity we are going back to (Kaiser) orthopedist and requesting physiologist work up to inc impedance testing.  Also, because MRIs showing no change in tumor take up, apparently stable, we may consider stopping Keytruda after 12 mo.  However, would really llike to find Plan B treatment 1st. 

His only other SEs on Keytruda have been itchy rash (successfully using oatmeal lotion that a tho'tful member posted), fatigue 2-3 days after infusion, and a recent spike in TSH-watching.

Very sorry about the pain, understand how much it slows you down.  Husband does not take comm'l NSAIDs but i give him an anti inflammatory diet, keeping as alkaline as possible and herbal supplements with anti inflammatory effect.

Best wishes with your challenges.  A.L.

AnitaLoree
                                                    Participant

Jubes: Interesting and curious about this. My husband on Keytruda since 9/14 with increasing weakness, instability and pain in left quad tendons, knee attachments.  Med history different tho'.  Was probably dropped immediately post op (10/13, is 6-6 tall, lean, and ICU aid staff was usually short, initially one person) and likely suffered a stressful extreme weighted flexion to L knee, also developed large bursa to L elbow. After we got him home and stabilized, he began PT on left leg and was making good progress strengthening, balance, little pain, etc.  When he started Keytruda 11 mo later that knee went down hill.  My theory is that he went into Keytruda with some tenosynovitis still present and his now jacked up immune system has T cells also attacking the quad tendons besides (hopefully) his residual cervical spine melanoma.  So he started out with a possible L knee T cell target but you and your other posters had no concurrent muscle/tendon strains/inflammation so maybe my theory doesn't hold.  What we are doing about it:  because L knee is so limiting his activity we are going back to (Kaiser) orthopedist and requesting physiologist work up to inc impedance testing.  Also, because MRIs showing no change in tumor take up, apparently stable, we may consider stopping Keytruda after 12 mo.  However, would really llike to find Plan B treatment 1st. 

His only other SEs on Keytruda have been itchy rash (successfully using oatmeal lotion that a tho'tful member posted), fatigue 2-3 days after infusion, and a recent spike in TSH-watching.

Very sorry about the pain, understand how much it slows you down.  Husband does not take comm'l NSAIDs but i give him an anti inflammatory diet, keeping as alkaline as possible and herbal supplements with anti inflammatory effect.

AnitaLoree
                                                      Participant

sweetaugust
                                                        Participant

AnitaLoree – I love hearing that the oatmeal lotion worked for your husband.  That makes me so happy to hear.  I truly tried so many things to get rid of those rashes…and was so relieved when the colloidal oatmeal lotion finally took that itching and pain away.  And I think it's wonderful all that you are doing to try and keep him so healthy.

All my best, Laurie

sweetaugust
                                                          Participant

AnitaLoree – I love hearing that the oatmeal lotion worked for your husband.  That makes me so happy to hear.  I truly tried so many things to get rid of those rashes…and was so relieved when the colloidal oatmeal lotion finally took that itching and pain away.  And I think it's wonderful all that you are doing to try and keep him so healthy.

All my best, Laurie

Mat
                                                            Participant

Laurie, I meant to post a few weeks ago that I'm also using the oatmeal lotion (Nature's Way?) per your recommendation.  While not a total fix (not that you said it would be), it definitely helps a lot.  Much less greasy after application.  My onc's office has recommended Eucerin.  That stuff is gross.  Thanks again!

Mat
                                                              Participant

Laurie, I meant to post a few weeks ago that I'm also using the oatmeal lotion (Nature's Way?) per your recommendation.  While not a total fix (not that you said it would be), it definitely helps a lot.  Much less greasy after application.  My onc's office has recommended Eucerin.  That stuff is gross.  Thanks again!

sweetaugust
                                                                Participant

So glad it has helped Mat!  It's by Nature's Gate.  I also bought some Tea Tree 100% pure essential oil and mixed that in when I was applying the lotion.  Maybe that will help make it the total fix.  πŸ™‚  The Tea Tree doesn't make you greasy….but it is stinky.  But perhaps the stink is worth the itch relieve.  πŸ™‚   Laurie

sweetaugust
                                                                  Participant

So glad it has helped Mat!  It's by Nature's Gate.  I also bought some Tea Tree 100% pure essential oil and mixed that in when I was applying the lotion.  Maybe that will help make it the total fix.  πŸ™‚  The Tea Tree doesn't make you greasy….but it is stinky.  But perhaps the stink is worth the itch relieve.  πŸ™‚   Laurie

sweetaugust
                                                                    Participant

Mat
                                                                      Participant

sweetaugust
                                                                        Participant

All my best, Laurie

Jubes
                                                                        Participant

Anne-Louise 

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics