The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Keytruda side effects… my body has gone crazy!

Forums General Melanoma Community Keytruda side effects… my body has gone crazy!

Participant

Hi all!

I was on Keytruda for 20 months. It worked quite well for me, including a stoppage of any new brain mets! In July, i began having pancreatic issues, and we stopped/paused infusions. My brain scan as of 4 weeks ago, is clear, so it seems as though the immune response continues. WHEW! Although my pancreatitis cleared up, and the enzyme levels have gone back down, I'm now finding myself with joint/muscle pain, and the ever so annoying sinusitis. I've had a stuffy nose since early August, and I snore like a grizzly bear, even when wearing a breathe right strip! Thus far, the joint pain has been "contollable" with over the counter NSAIDS. There are days though, when the pain is too high for normal daily function. We're blood testing for Lupus and rheumatoid issues. Tests showing inflammation came back as out of range high, but not crazy high. 

My questions…… Has anyone had these same kinds of issues? As for treatment of them… did discontinuing immuno infusions do the trick? Were you able to "spot treat" body areas (ex. knee or nose), or did you have to rely upon systemic steroids? I'm not a fan of how the dex makes me feel, and I am concerned about systemically slowing the immune response, because I absolutely fear the return of brain mets. However… something has got to give.

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        stevecathy
        Participant
          Hi there Niki, I have no advice for for this post . I’m sorry for that , I just wanted to say WOW!!!! I read your bio, you sure have been through it !!! Very inspired by your story. My husband has been onamed this journey since July of 15 and this week had seizure and found 7 brain mets . Doing radiation now and hope to start keytruda soon. Sorry I just wanted to respond to say thanks for sharing your story!! Best wishes and continue to fight!!
          stevecathy
          Participant
            Hi there Niki, I have no advice for for this post . I’m sorry for that , I just wanted to say WOW!!!! I read your bio, you sure have been through it !!! Very inspired by your story. My husband has been onamed this journey since July of 15 and this week had seizure and found 7 brain mets . Doing radiation now and hope to start keytruda soon. Sorry I just wanted to respond to say thanks for sharing your story!! Best wishes and continue to fight!!
              cancersnewnormal
              Participant

Hi Cathy! Tell your hubs to hang tough! Targeted brain radiation can clobber those mets, and the sooner he can get on Keytruda, the better.  It's a little terrifying that we stumble across brain lesions because of a seizure. Waiting for brain MRI results every few weeks can be crushing, because there seem to be little to no symptoms that those little creepers are lingering in your head! Well… until you have a seizure from the edema… yeeks!

keepthefaith11
                Participant
                  Yep. We had no idea anything was going on in the brain until my dad had a seizure back in July. 2 months later and after radiation he had another seizure. Scan is showing stable disease so possibly coming from edema. Honestly, as of now, the worst part of this whole mess are the fear of seizures. He started immunotherapy 10 days ago and now I am scared to death that the tumors will become inflamed from a reaction of immunotherapy and he’ll have another seizure. Just one horrible side effects from brain Mets. His seizures are tremendously severe and leaves him unable to speak 4 days afterwards. It has been almost three weeks since the last seizure and he still has a hard time with the language.

Annie

keepthefaith11
                  Participant
                    Yep. We had no idea anything was going on in the brain until my dad had a seizure back in July. 2 months later and after radiation he had another seizure. Scan is showing stable disease so possibly coming from edema. Honestly, as of now, the worst part of this whole mess are the fear of seizures. He started immunotherapy 10 days ago and now I am scared to death that the tumors will become inflamed from a reaction of immunotherapy and he’ll have another seizure. Just one horrible side effects from brain Mets. His seizures are tremendously severe and leaves him unable to speak 4 days afterwards. It has been almost three weeks since the last seizure and he still has a hard time with the language.

Annie

cancersnewnormal
                    Participant

Annie,

That sounds completely terrifying! Probably even more so for those of you witnessing it, than your dad. I had no idea when I had my first two seizures, but my husband and son remember them with perfect horrible clarity. The really crazy thing, is that my 3rd (and final to this point… knock on wood) seizure was only a partial, I was fully aware of what was going on, and remarkable calm, although frustrated at my inability to speak as the left side of my face was out of my control. I wonder if the severity of response depends upon the region of the brain affected. This is why it is difficult to not be on edge MRI to MRI. My initial seizure was the catalyst to my metastatic diagnosis. There was a 1.2 cm lesion in the left frontal lobe, surrounded by 4 cm of edema. It was enough to drop me to the floor, and followed by grand mal #2 at the ER. Oddly enough, 2 years later, the partial seizure was something I figured was eventually coming. We had been watching several gamma treated lesions for 4 months. Only ONE of them, in the right parietal, was continueously spewing more and more edema each MRI. With only very very minor neurological effects, and not at all a fan of how my body reacts to steriods, I was in hopeful "watch and wait" mode for it to go away. I was at 11 cm of edema with midline shift of the brain, 2 weeks before I lost control of the left side of my face. I ended up asking to have consult with my neurosurgeon to just take the little bugger out of my head. Edema went away rapidly, and there hasn't been a problem since. The unpredictability both frightens me and piques my curiosity of the "why and how". I've had 39 brain lesions total, covering every general location of the brain. Yet, I've only endured the few seizures. 

I hope that your family will soon be able to celebrate watching your dad's brain tumors melt away along with those nasty scary seizures. Any potential swelling coming from the immunotherapy would be a seriously mixed blessing for all of you. "Yay… it's working!" but "Wow… more swelling". Stable is good news. Perhaps all it will take is for one little culprit to disappear from the disabilitating area, and your dad will bounce back as if his brain is completely normal. I'm sure he must be frustrated with each occurrance. However, I often think that it seems more emotionally difficult to be on the "outside" watching as a caregiver than to be the patient. Hang in there! Best wishes for that immunotherapy to make quick work of destroying his spare brain bits!

cancersnewnormal
                      Participant

Annie,

That sounds completely terrifying! Probably even more so for those of you witnessing it, than your dad. I had no idea when I had my first two seizures, but my husband and son remember them with perfect horrible clarity. The really crazy thing, is that my 3rd (and final to this point… knock on wood) seizure was only a partial, I was fully aware of what was going on, and remarkable calm, although frustrated at my inability to speak as the left side of my face was out of my control. I wonder if the severity of response depends upon the region of the brain affected. This is why it is difficult to not be on edge MRI to MRI. My initial seizure was the catalyst to my metastatic diagnosis. There was a 1.2 cm lesion in the left frontal lobe, surrounded by 4 cm of edema. It was enough to drop me to the floor, and followed by grand mal #2 at the ER. Oddly enough, 2 years later, the partial seizure was something I figured was eventually coming. We had been watching several gamma treated lesions for 4 months. Only ONE of them, in the right parietal, was continueously spewing more and more edema each MRI. With only very very minor neurological effects, and not at all a fan of how my body reacts to steriods, I was in hopeful "watch and wait" mode for it to go away. I was at 11 cm of edema with midline shift of the brain, 2 weeks before I lost control of the left side of my face. I ended up asking to have consult with my neurosurgeon to just take the little bugger out of my head. Edema went away rapidly, and there hasn't been a problem since. The unpredictability both frightens me and piques my curiosity of the "why and how". I've had 39 brain lesions total, covering every general location of the brain. Yet, I've only endured the few seizures. 

I hope that your family will soon be able to celebrate watching your dad's brain tumors melt away along with those nasty scary seizures. Any potential swelling coming from the immunotherapy would be a seriously mixed blessing for all of you. "Yay… it's working!" but "Wow… more swelling". Stable is good news. Perhaps all it will take is for one little culprit to disappear from the disabilitating area, and your dad will bounce back as if his brain is completely normal. I'm sure he must be frustrated with each occurrance. However, I often think that it seems more emotionally difficult to be on the "outside" watching as a caregiver than to be the patient. Hang in there! Best wishes for that immunotherapy to make quick work of destroying his spare brain bits!

cancersnewnormal
                        Participant

Annie,

keepthefaith11
                          Participant
                            Niki, thank you for your encouraging response! We are keeping hopes up that the immunotherapy will go in there and do its job. I am not getting the full story on what they see on the scans since I am halfway across the world from where my parents are. But there was mention of Edema, which I am sure caused this latest seizure episode. There was no swelling noted on the scan though. Could the edema be from the radiation he received? He also spiked a fever right after the latest seizure and it didn’t go away until after 6 days. I am wondering if the activity causing the seizures and the fever was the reaction of radiation doing something in his brain.

I am so happy to hear that you have had such success with radiation and immunotherapy. If you don’t mind me asking a couple of questions. Once you got on Immunotherapy were some of the lesions still growing and that is why they kept doing the gamma knife? Or did new ones pop up even during the treatment? Did you see lesions completely melt away from Immunoterapy? And how soon before they started seeing it working in the brain? Sorry about all the questions but it is so helpful to ask someone who has gone through what we are going through.

I am assuming the tumor causing his seizures are in the left frontal lobe. I believe that is where the speech center is. They said he has a total of 13 lesions ranging from 2 millimeters to 13 millimeters. Did you have any speech issues after your seizures? Right now he sounds very sluggish and I am thinking it could be from the higher dose of anti-seizure medication he has been put on. It pretty much sounds like he is semi drugged at this point. I am hoping with time his body will get more adjusted to the medication dosage and he won’t be so tired. Before this last seizure he was doing fantastic! He was pretty much back to normal after having some serious issues with speech after his first seizure. Just such a pity this had to happen. At this point I feel we can deal with the brain lesions but the seizures are what really brings great fear and what is stopping him from enjoying his life.

Annie

keepthefaith11
                            Participant
                              Niki, thank you for your encouraging response! We are keeping hopes up that the immunotherapy will go in there and do its job. I am not getting the full story on what they see on the scans since I am halfway across the world from where my parents are. But there was mention of Edema, which I am sure caused this latest seizure episode. There was no swelling noted on the scan though. Could the edema be from the radiation he received? He also spiked a fever right after the latest seizure and it didn’t go away until after 6 days. I am wondering if the activity causing the seizures and the fever was the reaction of radiation doing something in his brain.

I am so happy to hear that you have had such success with radiation and immunotherapy. If you don’t mind me asking a couple of questions. Once you got on Immunotherapy were some of the lesions still growing and that is why they kept doing the gamma knife? Or did new ones pop up even during the treatment? Did you see lesions completely melt away from Immunoterapy? And how soon before they started seeing it working in the brain? Sorry about all the questions but it is so helpful to ask someone who has gone through what we are going through.

I am assuming the tumor causing his seizures are in the left frontal lobe. I believe that is where the speech center is. They said he has a total of 13 lesions ranging from 2 millimeters to 13 millimeters. Did you have any speech issues after your seizures? Right now he sounds very sluggish and I am thinking it could be from the higher dose of anti-seizure medication he has been put on. It pretty much sounds like he is semi drugged at this point. I am hoping with time his body will get more adjusted to the medication dosage and he won’t be so tired. Before this last seizure he was doing fantastic! He was pretty much back to normal after having some serious issues with speech after his first seizure. Just such a pity this had to happen. At this point I feel we can deal with the brain lesions but the seizures are what really brings great fear and what is stopping him from enjoying his life.

Annie

cancersnewnormal
                              Participant

Brain lesions are scary. Nobody likes to hear of anything growing in the "control center". Even wee little ones can cause big problems. Thankfully, those problems usually appear much worse than the threat of the little bugger in the head.

I've only had 2 gamma treatments since going on Pembro. One, was a week after the first infusion. Clearly, not having had enough time for it to start doing it's job. The other, wasn't until 15 months later. The Pembro definitely worked for my particular brain lesions. No question. I had 2 rounds of gamma in 2013 (initial diagnosis in April of that year), then the new lesions began cropping up MUCH faster, leading to an additional 7 rounds during 2014… 6 of them prior to the start of Pembro, then the one a week after the first infusion. My last round wasn't until early February of this year. Oddly enough, that last lesion treated was traced back to August of 2015 on the scans, but was so small and oddly shaped (not as rounded… more elongated), that it was masking itself as a blood vessel. Sneaky little hide and seek champ! That one is still on my MRI's, not growing, but shrinking as sloooooooooowly as it seemed to grow. The rest of my brain is clean and clear. We were thrilled when the MRI reports went from 4 pages down to 3… then 2… now finally all can be covered on a single page! HA!

We're not sure how that last little bugger found its way "around" the Keytruda. It sure struggled with it, yet somehow, seemed to find a way to grow… albeit VERY VERY slowly. I often wonder if it was always there, just mistaken as that blood vessel, or hiding between image slices. I did have live cells left behind after my second craniotomy in April 2015. This little lesion isn't too far from the area where those cells were left behind. We're quite hopeful and with each passing clean MRI… more comfortable… that Pembro and that final gamma round will have cleared any micrometastasis. That said, now that I've been off Pembro for almost 3 months, my scan anxiety levels are pretty high every 9 weeks. 

Needless to say, I was THRILLED when Pembro received FDA approval. The rampant brain metastasis kept me from being cleared for trials. I'm quite fortunate to have responded as completely as I did. And I'm SUUUUUPER fortunate to have been surrounded by so many brilliant doctors, who agreed to be as aggressive as I was pushing to be!

Question regarding your dad……… I'm assuming they have him on steroids as well as anti-seizure meds… yes? It may seem simplistic, and something the docs have likely already checked, but each time I was on dexamethazone (Decadron)… I developed a diabetic response. My nurses told me that this is not that unusual, but nothing was said until I finally questioned WHY I was having the issue. They looked at me as though this was something that everyone just automatically knows! Anything I would eat, would cause a fever spike. I learned that there is sugar in just about eeeeeeeverything we put into our faces. 

You're probably correct that his body will adjust to the anti-seiure med levels and he will have less fatigue. I went through the same thing. Although, a melanoma friend of mine ended up changing from Keppra to another med which he has less trouble with. Also…. steriods can make a person feel loopy. When I was first on steroids and new to the Keppra, I walked around feeling as if I had a STRONG buzz on. Like I had downed a bottle of wine all on my own. One would think that might be a fun feeling. HA! It's not so fun when it doesn't wear off and allow you a sense of control and being "with it" at your will. 

cancersnewnormal
                                Participant

Brain lesions are scary. Nobody likes to hear of anything growing in the "control center". Even wee little ones can cause big problems. Thankfully, those problems usually appear much worse than the threat of the little bugger in the head.

I've only had 2 gamma treatments since going on Pembro. One, was a week after the first infusion. Clearly, not having had enough time for it to start doing it's job. The other, wasn't until 15 months later. The Pembro definitely worked for my particular brain lesions. No question. I had 2 rounds of gamma in 2013 (initial diagnosis in April of that year), then the new lesions began cropping up MUCH faster, leading to an additional 7 rounds during 2014… 6 of them prior to the start of Pembro, then the one a week after the first infusion. My last round wasn't until early February of this year. Oddly enough, that last lesion treated was traced back to August of 2015 on the scans, but was so small and oddly shaped (not as rounded… more elongated), that it was masking itself as a blood vessel. Sneaky little hide and seek champ! That one is still on my MRI's, not growing, but shrinking as sloooooooooowly as it seemed to grow. The rest of my brain is clean and clear. We were thrilled when the MRI reports went from 4 pages down to 3… then 2… now finally all can be covered on a single page! HA!

We're not sure how that last little bugger found its way "around" the Keytruda. It sure struggled with it, yet somehow, seemed to find a way to grow… albeit VERY VERY slowly. I often wonder if it was always there, just mistaken as that blood vessel, or hiding between image slices. I did have live cells left behind after my second craniotomy in April 2015. This little lesion isn't too far from the area where those cells were left behind. We're quite hopeful and with each passing clean MRI… more comfortable… that Pembro and that final gamma round will have cleared any micrometastasis. That said, now that I've been off Pembro for almost 3 months, my scan anxiety levels are pretty high every 9 weeks. 

Needless to say, I was THRILLED when Pembro received FDA approval. The rampant brain metastasis kept me from being cleared for trials. I'm quite fortunate to have responded as completely as I did. And I'm SUUUUUPER fortunate to have been surrounded by so many brilliant doctors, who agreed to be as aggressive as I was pushing to be!

Question regarding your dad……… I'm assuming they have him on steroids as well as anti-seizure meds… yes? It may seem simplistic, and something the docs have likely already checked, but each time I was on dexamethazone (Decadron)… I developed a diabetic response. My nurses told me that this is not that unusual, but nothing was said until I finally questioned WHY I was having the issue. They looked at me as though this was something that everyone just automatically knows! Anything I would eat, would cause a fever spike. I learned that there is sugar in just about eeeeeeeverything we put into our faces. 

You're probably correct that his body will adjust to the anti-seiure med levels and he will have less fatigue. I went through the same thing. Although, a melanoma friend of mine ended up changing from Keppra to another med which he has less trouble with. Also…. steriods can make a person feel loopy. When I was first on steroids and new to the Keppra, I walked around feeling as if I had a STRONG buzz on. Like I had downed a bottle of wine all on my own. One would think that might be a fun feeling. HA! It's not so fun when it doesn't wear off and allow you a sense of control and being "with it" at your will. 

cancersnewnormal
                                  Participant

keepthefaith11
                                    Participant
                                      I am just blown away to hear about the incredible success you have had with immunotherapy! You bring hope to everyone with brain lesions. My father ended up having whole brain radiation in July. He is in Europe and they felt with 13 lesions, some of which were very small, the whole brain route would be the way to go. We did get a couple of other opinions, and it seems to be common practice with this many lesions in Europe. I wish we could have had him here in America as I am sure gamma would have been an option for him. But it was not feasible at that time, and he could not have traveled either. The doctors did say that they would do SRS in case something new popped up or if one of the existing lesions started growing. The last scan was stable with no new activity. But they are keeping SRS in their back pocket. He is doing his second immunotherapy infusion on Wednesday. Hoping with all my heart he will be a responder.

Yes, he is on steroids and two different kinds of anti-seizure meds. I think this steroid dose is 6 milligrams. I am not sure what the second seizure medication is but he did really well on it before, although he was on a lower dosage before this latest seizure. It does sound like he has been drinking a couple of glasses of wine. Someone mentioned that you should have your blood level checked to see if the anti-seizure medication keeps at a therapeutic level. I am wondering if the levels went too low because he might have stopped absorbing it properly, and that is why he had a breakthrough seizure.

My parents have spent 8 months out of the year with us here in America for the past seven years. It is breaking my heart that they cannot make it over this year. Still hoping that possibly in January we can get him over here and signed up at Moffitt. But for now, the plan is in place. Just hoping he won’t have any severe side effects from the immunotherapy. When did your side effects start happening?

keepthefaith11
                                      Participant
                                        I am just blown away to hear about the incredible success you have had with immunotherapy! You bring hope to everyone with brain lesions. My father ended up having whole brain radiation in July. He is in Europe and they felt with 13 lesions, some of which were very small, the whole brain route would be the way to go. We did get a couple of other opinions, and it seems to be common practice with this many lesions in Europe. I wish we could have had him here in America as I am sure gamma would have been an option for him. But it was not feasible at that time, and he could not have traveled either. The doctors did say that they would do SRS in case something new popped up or if one of the existing lesions started growing. The last scan was stable with no new activity. But they are keeping SRS in their back pocket. He is doing his second immunotherapy infusion on Wednesday. Hoping with all my heart he will be a responder.

Yes, he is on steroids and two different kinds of anti-seizure meds. I think this steroid dose is 6 milligrams. I am not sure what the second seizure medication is but he did really well on it before, although he was on a lower dosage before this latest seizure. It does sound like he has been drinking a couple of glasses of wine. Someone mentioned that you should have your blood level checked to see if the anti-seizure medication keeps at a therapeutic level. I am wondering if the levels went too low because he might have stopped absorbing it properly, and that is why he had a breakthrough seizure.

My parents have spent 8 months out of the year with us here in America for the past seven years. It is breaking my heart that they cannot make it over this year. Still hoping that possibly in January we can get him over here and signed up at Moffitt. But for now, the plan is in place. Just hoping he won’t have any severe side effects from the immunotherapy. When did your side effects start happening?

keepthefaith11
                                        Participant

cancersnewnormal
                                          Participant

Whole Brain Radiation can also cause some neurological deficit. Hopefully with the passage of time, IF that is the case, he will be able to work through some recovery. It is good news that his follow up scans were stable! it takes many months for treated brain lesions to dissipate, and some of them may never go away, but will remain inactive.

I have a friend who had a brain lesion surgically removed, and then the resection area gamma radiated. They never put him on anti-seizure meds, until he had a seizure nearly 7 months later. His brain MRI post seizure showed that he had no new lesions. The brain is a bizarre place. This is the same gentleman who had to switch from Keppra to a different anti-seizure med due to the side effects (dizziness, lethargy, etc). 72 years old, a former oncological surgeon… he had metastasis to liver and brain. He had 2 years of Pembro, and is now 6 months off treatment, and doing exceptionally well. His story is quite different than mine, but with the same favorable outcome. There is so much hope out there with these new treatment options.  : )

Have I already asked you what his tumor load is, other than the mets in the brain?

From what I have read, most adverse side effects will happen within the first few months. HOWEVER, with more and more people on the drug outside of trial patients now, we seem to be hearing differently. There are more stories like mine cropping up, where there is a cumulative build up effect. I went through the full treatment (4 rounds) of Ipi first, with no issues at all… well… there was the loss of my thyroid function, but a regular pill handles that. My 72 year old buddy made it through 2 rounds of Ipi and had such horrible cholitis, he stopped treatment and moved onto Pembro. Ipi did little for me. Stablizied one very small tumor in my left lung, but one in the right lung continued to grow, and the brain kept cropping up lesions. Pembro worked really well, and I was fairly side effect free until my 29th infusion (20 months). I had some fatigue a day or two after the infusions, and there was always managable irritable bowel issues. The joint pain and pancreatitis didn't set in until much later. My 72 year old buddy… no real issues with Pembro. Some irratable bowels, and a bit of fatigue, but overall, the two of us were out enjoying life. He was golfing and swimming. I was still working and riding my bicycle regularly. I almost felt as though we weren't "suffering" like most cancer patients do. Never lost hair, no weight loss, no gaunt look. My worst issues were prior to getting on Pembro. 

I'll keep thinking positive vibes for your dad to bounce back enough to get him and your mom over here to the States, where they can enjoy a larger support network with you.

cancersnewnormal
                                            Participant

Whole Brain Radiation can also cause some neurological deficit. Hopefully with the passage of time, IF that is the case, he will be able to work through some recovery. It is good news that his follow up scans were stable! it takes many months for treated brain lesions to dissipate, and some of them may never go away, but will remain inactive.

I have a friend who had a brain lesion surgically removed, and then the resection area gamma radiated. They never put him on anti-seizure meds, until he had a seizure nearly 7 months later. His brain MRI post seizure showed that he had no new lesions. The brain is a bizarre place. This is the same gentleman who had to switch from Keppra to a different anti-seizure med due to the side effects (dizziness, lethargy, etc). 72 years old, a former oncological surgeon… he had metastasis to liver and brain. He had 2 years of Pembro, and is now 6 months off treatment, and doing exceptionally well. His story is quite different than mine, but with the same favorable outcome. There is so much hope out there with these new treatment options.  : )

Have I already asked you what his tumor load is, other than the mets in the brain?

From what I have read, most adverse side effects will happen within the first few months. HOWEVER, with more and more people on the drug outside of trial patients now, we seem to be hearing differently. There are more stories like mine cropping up, where there is a cumulative build up effect. I went through the full treatment (4 rounds) of Ipi first, with no issues at all… well… there was the loss of my thyroid function, but a regular pill handles that. My 72 year old buddy made it through 2 rounds of Ipi and had such horrible cholitis, he stopped treatment and moved onto Pembro. Ipi did little for me. Stablizied one very small tumor in my left lung, but one in the right lung continued to grow, and the brain kept cropping up lesions. Pembro worked really well, and I was fairly side effect free until my 29th infusion (20 months). I had some fatigue a day or two after the infusions, and there was always managable irritable bowel issues. The joint pain and pancreatitis didn't set in until much later. My 72 year old buddy… no real issues with Pembro. Some irratable bowels, and a bit of fatigue, but overall, the two of us were out enjoying life. He was golfing and swimming. I was still working and riding my bicycle regularly. I almost felt as though we weren't "suffering" like most cancer patients do. Never lost hair, no weight loss, no gaunt look. My worst issues were prior to getting on Pembro. 

I'll keep thinking positive vibes for your dad to bounce back enough to get him and your mom over here to the States, where they can enjoy a larger support network with you.

cancersnewnormal
                                              Participant

keepthefaith11
                                                Participant
                                                  Thank you Niki, your responses mean a lot. Latest full body scan (excluding brain) showed no other areas affected. They did mention a lymph node in the abdomen but were not concerned about it at this point. Their exact words were that “the scan was 99% good.”

I do have concerns about the whole brain radiation affecting the brain. But it seems at this point that the loss of speech he is experiencing is from the actual seizures. Since before this seizure he was doing really well, acting pretty much normal. I have been thinking about your comment about feeling like you have had a bottle of wine. Tonight when I spoke with him he does sound just like that. I could tell he was speaking better tonight though. Not just saying random sentences, but actually getting into a conversation with me. He knows when he messes up, so there’s nothing wrong with the actual thinking process. He is also starting to walk outside and is doing crosswords again. I am hoping he can get over this hurdle and get back to somewhat normal so we can tackle the real issue, the brain lesions.

Encouraging to hear about your 72 year old friend and his responses! It gives me great hope that he might actually make it through this. The doctors seem encouraged that’s the disease is not systematic.

My dad could handle 2 Ipi infusions back in March before developing elevated liver enzymes. Not sure if those two treatments helped at all keep the disease away from other organs. The doctor did mention this could be possible. That it just didn’t keep the brain lesions from popping up, but kept disease away from other parts of the body. And if it did not work, at least it is good to hear that if you fail one treatment you can respond to another.

Thank you for thinking positive vibes, and your responses are invaluable to me. You dive me hope, and your support makes me feel like we are not alone in this.

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                                  Participant
                                                    Thank you Niki, your responses mean a lot. Latest full body scan (excluding brain) showed no other areas affected. They did mention a lymph node in the abdomen but were not concerned about it at this point. Their exact words were that “the scan was 99% good.”

I do have concerns about the whole brain radiation affecting the brain. But it seems at this point that the loss of speech he is experiencing is from the actual seizures. Since before this seizure he was doing really well, acting pretty much normal. I have been thinking about your comment about feeling like you have had a bottle of wine. Tonight when I spoke with him he does sound just like that. I could tell he was speaking better tonight though. Not just saying random sentences, but actually getting into a conversation with me. He knows when he messes up, so there’s nothing wrong with the actual thinking process. He is also starting to walk outside and is doing crosswords again. I am hoping he can get over this hurdle and get back to somewhat normal so we can tackle the real issue, the brain lesions.

Encouraging to hear about your 72 year old friend and his responses! It gives me great hope that he might actually make it through this. The doctors seem encouraged that’s the disease is not systematic.

My dad could handle 2 Ipi infusions back in March before developing elevated liver enzymes. Not sure if those two treatments helped at all keep the disease away from other organs. The doctor did mention this could be possible. That it just didn’t keep the brain lesions from popping up, but kept disease away from other parts of the body. And if it did not work, at least it is good to hear that if you fail one treatment you can respond to another.

Thank you for thinking positive vibes, and your responses are invaluable to me. You dive me hope, and your support makes me feel like we are not alone in this.

Annie

cancersnewnormal
                                                    Participant

Very encouraging that his tumor load is pretty much zero (in the body), and that he's doing crosswords and getting outside! Walking no less! That requires neurological balance… which is not terribly easy when your head feels in the fog! It sounds like his side effects may be related in part to the seizure, but also in part by the effect of the drugs they gave him to control the seizures and possible edema. 

On a related note, Jimmy Carter celebrated his 92nd birthday at a baseball game… kissing his wife over the "kiss cam". HA! Pembro cleared him too. One of the guys from our cycling club inquired about my oncologist when his 90 year old mom was diagnosed with melanoma brain mets. The docs here in my local town told her to go home and get her things in order. She was wheelchair bound until they got her on immunotherapy and a round of brain radiation. She enjoyed two more years of life… OUT of the wheelchair, until she passed from other causes. There is always hope.  : ) Even for those who aren't helped by Pembro… others continue to succeed on even newer research coming out. 

keepthefaith11
                                                      Participant
                                                        Thank you Niki! Yet another post from you which has lifted my spirits! He sounded even better today. Much more speech fluency. I am really hoping for great success for him with immunotherapy. He says the biggest issue is that there is some pressure in the head. I remember him complaining about this after the first seizure a few months back as well. After a while it seemed to easy up and disappear. He is scheduled for his second infusion of Opdivo tomorrow if blood work looks okay. Have you heard of them checking your blood level for the anti-seizure medication? My friend who is a doctor and prescribes anti-seizure medication frequently said that she likes to check once a month to make sure the body is absorbing it properly. I think at this point, he is scared of additional seizures. Which is totally understandable of course.
                                                        cancersnewnormal
                                                        Participant

Glad to hear he is sounding better and better! I've never heard of having blood levels checked for the anti-seizure med levels. It sounds like a very good idea, particularly given the fact that we have to have blood labs done (CBC, CMP… etc) prior to every immunotherapy infusion anyway. I might inquire with my doc about that at my next visit. They currently have me on 1000 mg twice per day. At one point, I was at 500 twice per day, until I had some odd lip tingling. Personally, I'd like to drop the dose back down. I'm also wondering if this is a "for the rest of my life" thing, even when the brain begins to show a track record of "no new lesions". I'm not a fan of pills and their effect on other bodily organs/function… but then… I'm not a fan of risking a seizure while driving my car… soooooooo….

Thanks for the info on the blood lab possibility. I am definitely going to inquire about it. I know the irritated bowels that come as a side effect of some immunotherapies will affect the absorption and/or conversion of T4 to T3 (thyroid hormones). It makes sense that people might have some issues absorbing Keppra too… or any medication… vitamins… food… for that matter!

keepthefaith11
                                                          Participant
                                                            I think my dad is on 500 milligrams twice a day. Before the second seizure he was on 250 milligrams twice a day. Not sure why they Captain solo after him having that first seizure. He had his second infusion this past Wednesday. Then on Thursday he started feeling very dizzy, off balance. This continued up until today, Sunday. Today he has not had any dizziness so I guess it could have been immunotherapy related? Did you ever have side effects before? I am wondering if this means that he will have these issues after each infusion, or if it can vary between the infusions.
                                                            keepthefaith11
                                                            Participant
                                                              I think my dad is on 500 milligrams twice a day. Before the second seizure he was on 250 milligrams twice a day. Not sure why they Captain solo after him having that first seizure. He had his second infusion this past Wednesday. Then on Thursday he started feeling very dizzy, off balance. This continued up until today, Sunday. Today he has not had any dizziness so I guess it could have been immunotherapy related? Did you ever have side effects before? I am wondering if this means that he will have these issues after each infusion, or if it can vary between the infusions.
                                                              keepthefaith11
                                                              Participant
                                                                cancersnewnormal
                                                                Participant

Glad to hear he is sounding better and better! I've never heard of having blood levels checked for the anti-seizure med levels. It sounds like a very good idea, particularly given the fact that we have to have blood labs done (CBC, CMP… etc) prior to every immunotherapy infusion anyway. I might inquire with my doc about that at my next visit. They currently have me on 1000 mg twice per day. At one point, I was at 500 twice per day, until I had some odd lip tingling. Personally, I'd like to drop the dose back down. I'm also wondering if this is a "for the rest of my life" thing, even when the brain begins to show a track record of "no new lesions". I'm not a fan of pills and their effect on other bodily organs/function… but then… I'm not a fan of risking a seizure while driving my car… soooooooo….

Thanks for the info on the blood lab possibility. I am definitely going to inquire about it. I know the irritated bowels that come as a side effect of some immunotherapies will affect the absorption and/or conversion of T4 to T3 (thyroid hormones). It makes sense that people might have some issues absorbing Keppra too… or any medication… vitamins… food… for that matter!

cancersnewnormal
                                                                  Participant

keepthefaith11
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      Thank you Niki! Yet another post from you which has lifted my spirits! He sounded even better today. Much more speech fluency. I am really hoping for great success for him with immunotherapy. He says the biggest issue is that there is some pressure in the head. I remember him complaining about this after the first seizure a few months back as well. After a while it seemed to easy up and disappear. He is scheduled for his second infusion of Opdivo tomorrow if blood work looks okay. Have you heard of them checking your blood level for the anti-seizure medication? My friend who is a doctor and prescribes anti-seizure medication frequently said that she likes to check once a month to make sure the body is absorbing it properly. I think at this point, he is scared of additional seizures. Which is totally understandable of course.
                                                                      keepthefaith11
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        cancersnewnormal
                                                                        Participant

Very encouraging that his tumor load is pretty much zero (in the body), and that he's doing crosswords and getting outside! Walking no less! That requires neurological balance… which is not terribly easy when your head feels in the fog! It sounds like his side effects may be related in part to the seizure, but also in part by the effect of the drugs they gave him to control the seizures and possible edema. 

On a related note, Jimmy Carter celebrated his 92nd birthday at a baseball game… kissing his wife over the "kiss cam". HA! Pembro cleared him too. One of the guys from our cycling club inquired about my oncologist when his 90 year old mom was diagnosed with melanoma brain mets. The docs here in my local town told her to go home and get her things in order. She was wheelchair bound until they got her on immunotherapy and a round of brain radiation. She enjoyed two more years of life… OUT of the wheelchair, until she passed from other causes. There is always hope.  : ) Even for those who aren't helped by Pembro… others continue to succeed on even newer research coming out. 

cancersnewnormal
                                                                          Participant

keepthefaith11
                                                                            Participant

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                                                              Participant

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                                                                Participant

Annie

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                  Participant

Hi Cathy! Tell your hubs to hang tough! Targeted brain radiation can clobber those mets, and the sooner he can get on Keytruda, the better.  It's a little terrifying that we stumble across brain lesions because of a seizure. Waiting for brain MRI results every few weeks can be crushing, because there seem to be little to no symptoms that those little creepers are lingering in your head! Well… until you have a seizure from the edema… yeeks!

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                    Participant

stevecathy
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                      khubes
                                                                                      Participant

Hi there, so sorry that you're experiencing so many not so fun side effects!  Crazy enough, my husband is experiencing nearly identical side effects right now.  He has been on Keytruda since July 2015 and it has also been working very well for him – no new brain mets, all of the current brain mets are shrinking or remain stable (he's down to 6 from 9 in the beginning of treatment), and he has one residual body met that continues to shrink.  A large adrenal tumor disappeared as well as a lung met.  Woo! 

Anyways, back to the not so fun stuff – he also has been suffering from a bad case of sinusitis since early August.  He's on a course of antibiotics now, which is finally helping.  His right knee has been swollen for about three weeks now (no fracture, met, or sprain).  He hadn't received treatment for 6 weeks until yesterday….and now his left ankle is starting to swell.  We've met with a rheumatoid specialist who told us that in a normal case they'd recommend a short course of prednisone to reduce the swelling, but because our oncologist doesn't want to mix immunotherapy and steroids, we are left with NSAIDS, compression, icing, and elevation…unless the swelling gets really bad.  At that point, prednisone will be the next action we take.

I don't really have any advice to give, but just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone with these side effects!  Wishing you the best.  ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Katie 

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                          Participant

Thanks Katie!

I went on a round of antibiotics for the nose in August, but to no avail. It did make me feel better that I could rule out bacterial infection though. So, for now, I'm just diligently flushing my nose clean, to avoid any future bacterial issue from happening. If it's swollen nasal tissue, I don't want to leave any trapped fluids in there that will eventually infect. Yuck!

Funny thing… my right knee is also the one that has gone whack! My oncologist has put in for a referral to Rheum, we're just awaiting insurance approval. Thankfully, one of my best bicycling buddies has his own Physical Therapy office… sooooooo… compression wrap and edema massage are gratis! ๐Ÿ˜‰  With your hubs and I following the same side effect patterns, I'll keep an eye on my left ankle next. HA!

Has he had any patches of vitiligo? I'm a pasty white woman to begin with, so seeing the even whiter areas is tough, but they're there. 

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                            Participant

Thanks Katie!

I went on a round of antibiotics for the nose in August, but to no avail. It did make me feel better that I could rule out bacterial infection though. So, for now, I'm just diligently flushing my nose clean, to avoid any future bacterial issue from happening. If it's swollen nasal tissue, I don't want to leave any trapped fluids in there that will eventually infect. Yuck!

Funny thing… my right knee is also the one that has gone whack! My oncologist has put in for a referral to Rheum, we're just awaiting insurance approval. Thankfully, one of my best bicycling buddies has his own Physical Therapy office… sooooooo… compression wrap and edema massage are gratis! ๐Ÿ˜‰  With your hubs and I following the same side effect patterns, I'll keep an eye on my left ankle next. HA!

Has he had any patches of vitiligo? I'm a pasty white woman to begin with, so seeing the even whiter areas is tough, but they're there. 

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                              Participant

Thanks Katie!

khubes
                                                                                              Participant

Hi there, so sorry that you're experiencing so many not so fun side effects!  Crazy enough, my husband is experiencing nearly identical side effects right now.  He has been on Keytruda since July 2015 and it has also been working very well for him – no new brain mets, all of the current brain mets are shrinking or remain stable (he's down to 6 from 9 in the beginning of treatment), and he has one residual body met that continues to shrink.  A large adrenal tumor disappeared as well as a lung met.  Woo! 

Anyways, back to the not so fun stuff – he also has been suffering from a bad case of sinusitis since early August.  He's on a course of antibiotics now, which is finally helping.  His right knee has been swollen for about three weeks now (no fracture, met, or sprain).  He hadn't received treatment for 6 weeks until yesterday….and now his left ankle is starting to swell.  We've met with a rheumatoid specialist who told us that in a normal case they'd recommend a short course of prednisone to reduce the swelling, but because our oncologist doesn't want to mix immunotherapy and steroids, we are left with NSAIDS, compression, icing, and elevation…unless the swelling gets really bad.  At that point, prednisone will be the next action we take.

I don't really have any advice to give, but just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone with these side effects!  Wishing you the best.  ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Katie 

khubes
                                                                                                Participant

Katie 

Julie in SoCal
                                                                                                  Participant

Hey Nicki,

I've had a similar experience with the joint pain.  I was so stiff and swollen I could barely move.  My doc prescribed prednisone, saying that it doesn't interfere with the Pembro and it's been much, much better.  I'm still stiff and sore, but I can move and the pain is manageable with over the counter NSAIDs

I've since progressed, so I'm not sure this is the best testimony, to hear.  Guess I just want to say, you're not alone.  Keep working with your doc to get some relief.  Wishing you all the best!

Shalom,

Julie

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                                      Participant

Ugh… progression… and not in the good sense. Sorry to hear that. I have read some reports that steroids don't have any impact on patient outcome percentages with Keytruda, but I'm still leary of them. 

Did you continue getting infusions while taking the pred?

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                                        Participant

Ugh… progression… and not in the good sense. Sorry to hear that. I have read some reports that steroids don't have any impact on patient outcome percentages with Keytruda, but I'm still leary of them. 

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                                          Participant

Julie in SoCal
                                                                                                            Participant

Oh yes, I continued Pembro through the prednisone. Also i didn't take a high does for long. Just long enough to kick the side effects back.

for me it lessened the side effects enough (didn't take them awa) to get me moving again.

peace,

julie

Julie in SoCal
                                                                                                              Participant

Oh yes, I continued Pembro through the prednisone. Also i didn't take a high does for long. Just long enough to kick the side effects back.

for me it lessened the side effects enough (didn't take them awa) to get me moving again.

peace,

julie

Julie in SoCal
                                                                                                                Participant

peace,

julie

Julie in SoCal
                                                                                                                Participant

Hey Nicki,

I've had a similar experience with the joint pain.  I was so stiff and swollen I could barely move.  My doc prescribed prednisone, saying that it doesn't interfere with the Pembro and it's been much, much better.  I'm still stiff and sore, but I can move and the pain is manageable with over the counter NSAIDs

I've since progressed, so I'm not sure this is the best testimony, to hear.  Guess I just want to say, you're not alone.  Keep working with your doc to get some relief.  Wishing you all the best!

Shalom,

Julie

Julie in SoCal
                                                                                                                  Participant

Hey Nicki,

Shalom,

Julie

Casitas1
                                                                                                                    Participant

Yeah, I have had all of the above. Been on Pembro since Jan. 2016. Two weeks after 1st infusion caught a nasty virus(cold,cough and sinus issues) all of these never went away completely and still have them. Always had a little sinus issues being a surfer. Joint pain started in left knee round about Easter. Mri confirmed two tears(meniscus). Had surgery in June. Two days before surgery right knee pain.(had meniscus surgery 7 years prior) on that knee. Had pain and swelling ever since in both knees, both ankles, right knuckle and wrist. I have been NED since mid July. Being a gardener its been rough almost went on disability several times. Dr. seems to think any little arthritis or prior injury or surgery has the immune system attacking the joints. Been battling the beast for six years now been on steroids twice and both times rendered me useless… Dr. says once off treatment(Hopefully Dec.) pain should subside. All my disease was in lower lip and jaw area so i don't have any experience with brain Mets.

My Dr. told me before my infusion yesterday that the effects of treatment could last for up to a year after stopping infusions. I was recent ally prescribed Advair for the cough that ive had since Jan and is starting to clear up. NSAIDS seem to take the edge off a little with the joint pain but swelling is constant. My disease progressed after failing Ipi/Nivo and while on steroids so am a little afraid of Prednisone. Thank you for posting! it really means a lot to all of us here dealing with similar symptoms.

Best, Paul

Casitas1
                                                                                                                      Participant

Yeah, I have had all of the above. Been on Pembro since Jan. 2016. Two weeks after 1st infusion caught a nasty virus(cold,cough and sinus issues) all of these never went away completely and still have them. Always had a little sinus issues being a surfer. Joint pain started in left knee round about Easter. Mri confirmed two tears(meniscus). Had surgery in June. Two days before surgery right knee pain.(had meniscus surgery 7 years prior) on that knee. Had pain and swelling ever since in both knees, both ankles, right knuckle and wrist. I have been NED since mid July. Being a gardener its been rough almost went on disability several times. Dr. seems to think any little arthritis or prior injury or surgery has the immune system attacking the joints. Been battling the beast for six years now been on steroids twice and both times rendered me useless… Dr. says once off treatment(Hopefully Dec.) pain should subside. All my disease was in lower lip and jaw area so i don't have any experience with brain Mets.

My Dr. told me before my infusion yesterday that the effects of treatment could last for up to a year after stopping infusions. I was recent ally prescribed Advair for the cough that ive had since Jan and is starting to clear up. NSAIDS seem to take the edge off a little with the joint pain but swelling is constant. My disease progressed after failing Ipi/Nivo and while on steroids so am a little afraid of Prednisone. Thank you for posting! it really means a lot to all of us here dealing with similar symptoms.

Best, Paul

Casitas1
                                                                                                                        Participant

Best, Paul

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                                                            Participant

Thanks Paul,

Yeah… I'm definitely a little on edge about systemic steroids, as is my oncologist. I did really well with very few and managable symptoms for the first 18 months on Keytruda… and then… the downhill slide. I know that the immune system response isn't as strong in the brain as the body. It is our own self defense mechanism to avoid brain swelling in a confined area. That makes me extra nervous about steroids, because my disease progression was primarily brain centric. I am not a fan of being risky with an area already lower on immune function. 

From what I have heard from yourself and others, it sounds like I'm probably going to try to work around the joint pain and swelling with local treatments. Systemic steroids may come into play if these autoimmune responses begin to threaten my life… but until then… I'd rather live at this level of discomfort than to begin the popcorn pattern of brain tumors cropping up….. pop pop pop… pop pop! **yikes**

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                                                              Participant

Thanks Paul,

Yeah… I'm definitely a little on edge about systemic steroids, as is my oncologist. I did really well with very few and managable symptoms for the first 18 months on Keytruda… and then… the downhill slide. I know that the immune system response isn't as strong in the brain as the body. It is our own self defense mechanism to avoid brain swelling in a confined area. That makes me extra nervous about steroids, because my disease progression was primarily brain centric. I am not a fan of being risky with an area already lower on immune function. 

From what I have heard from yourself and others, it sounds like I'm probably going to try to work around the joint pain and swelling with local treatments. Systemic steroids may come into play if these autoimmune responses begin to threaten my life… but until then… I'd rather live at this level of discomfort than to begin the popcorn pattern of brain tumors cropping up….. pop pop pop… pop pop! **yikes**

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                                                                Participant

Thanks Paul,

dawn dion
                                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                                  Hello I have been on Keytruda for 16 months. 25 treatments. Stuffy head b
                                                                                                                                  nearly drove me crazy. I went to a local place called the salt room where basically you sit in a room and inhale salt. Like being at the beach. Another suggestion I purchased a navage nasal irrigation also uses salt…worked wonders. Look it up on line. Its line 50 dollars and worth every penny. As for all the aches I still suffer with those spend a great deal of time with icy hot and a heating pad. Aleve and tramadol. Currently trying to find something else for the pain. The stuffy head did eventually go away. Best of luck and hang in there.
                                                                                                                                  dawn dion
                                                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                                                    nearly drove me crazy. I went to a local place called the salt room where basically you sit in a room and inhale salt. Like being at the beach. Another suggestion I purchased a navage nasal irrigation also uses salt…worked wonders. Look it up on line. Its line 50 dollars and worth every penny. As for all the aches I still suffer with those spend a great deal of time with icy hot and a heating pad. Aleve and tramadol. Currently trying to find something else for the pain. The stuffy head did eventually go away. Best of luck and hang in there.
                                                                                                                                    dawn dion
                                                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                                                        cancersnewnormal
                                                                                                                                        Participant

Thanks for the info. I'll look into the nasal irrigation! If I can get some sleep again, that'd be worth every penny! Although the nasal inflammation isn't the most painful side effect, it is certainly the most annoying, affecting the taste of food, the ability to breath… and even swallow! There are times that my nose is so sealed off, no air can go in other than through my mouth. Soooooo… when I try to swallow, it's like attempting to pour water out of a bottle without an air intake vent. Argh!

Maybe I should be using this as an excuse to get to the beach more often. ha! ๐Ÿ˜‰  I could inhale salt air for free, and the ice cold water we have here would serve nicely for some "cryotherapy" on the swollen knee. Hmmmmmm.

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Thanks for the info. I'll look into the nasal irrigation! If I can get some sleep again, that'd be worth every penny! Although the nasal inflammation isn't the most painful side effect, it is certainly the most annoying, affecting the taste of food, the ability to breath… and even swallow! There are times that my nose is so sealed off, no air can go in other than through my mouth. Soooooo… when I try to swallow, it's like attempting to pour water out of a bottle without an air intake vent. Argh!

Maybe I should be using this as an excuse to get to the beach more often. ha! ๐Ÿ˜‰  I could inhale salt air for free, and the ice cold water we have here would serve nicely for some "cryotherapy" on the swollen knee. Hmmmmmm.

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Bubbles
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Sorry you are dealing with these things. Sadly, side effects are rather common with immunotherapy…particularly arthralgias. I think of this forum, Anne Louise (see posts by Jubes) has had the most trouble, having to go so far as using remacaid. Many, many immune related side effects can occur on these medications, including liver and pancreatic problems. Additionally, side effects can present or continue AFTER stopping the meds.  There are many abstracts addressing side effects on my blog…just use the search bubble if interested. Finally, though feared as something that would diminish the effect of immunotherapy back in 2010 to maybe 2012 when we ratties started using these products…we have since learned that steroids do NOT stop the positive effects of immunotherapy and SHOULD be used if the patient's condition warrants them so as to alllow them a better quality of life, prevent progression of symptoms, and to allow them to comtinue immunotherapy if it is needed. 

Here is just one report in which two melanoma experts discuss this very point: http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.fr/2015/09/side-effects-and-how-to-manage-them-in.html

Hope this helps. I wish you well. Celeste

Bubbles
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Sorry you are dealing with these things. Sadly, side effects are rather common with immunotherapy…particularly arthralgias. I think of this forum, Anne Louise (see posts by Jubes) has had the most trouble, having to go so far as using remacaid. Many, many immune related side effects can occur on these medications, including liver and pancreatic problems. Additionally, side effects can present or continue AFTER stopping the meds.  There are many abstracts addressing side effects on my blog…just use the search bubble if interested. Finally, though feared as something that would diminish the effect of immunotherapy back in 2010 to maybe 2012 when we ratties started using these products…we have since learned that steroids do NOT stop the positive effects of immunotherapy and SHOULD be used if the patient's condition warrants them so as to alllow them a better quality of life, prevent progression of symptoms, and to allow them to comtinue immunotherapy if it is needed. 

Here is just one report in which two melanoma experts discuss this very point: http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.fr/2015/09/side-effects-and-how-to-manage-them-in.html

Bubbles
                                                                                                                                                Participant

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Thanks Celeste,

I'll check for posts by Jubes. I have had the pancreatic issue. Thankfully, with cessation of the infusions, my enzymes balanced out on their own again. My thyroid is long shot. I have Ipi to thank for that, although Pembro did further the issue, and my synthroid dosage was on constant rise until last month! That may have been more of a conversion problem from T3 to T4 due to the irritated bowels. It's been almost two years of researching as new issues cropped up. 

I was on pembro since the first week of Nov 2014 (immediately following FDA approval). I made it 20 months (29 rounds) before the pancreatic problems had me wanting to take a break. My CT's show that my body has been NED since January 2015. My brain has one 5mm lesion remaining…. it has been treated with gamma, we're just waiting for it to melt away. Basically, I have no reason to continue pembro infusions unless my brain crops up any unwanted new meat. Having had my last infusion in early July, I was hoping to see these autoimmune side effects taper away… and they just aren't. 

I'm in uncharted territory. Now we have to find my individual balance of what my body can handle in adverse immuno effects, versus my brain's need for control… which (in my personal case) pembro has done quite well. 

Thanks for the blog link! I love new reading material!  : )

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Thanks Celeste,

I'll check for posts by Jubes. I have had the pancreatic issue. Thankfully, with cessation of the infusions, my enzymes balanced out on their own again. My thyroid is long shot. I have Ipi to thank for that, although Pembro did further the issue, and my synthroid dosage was on constant rise until last month! That may have been more of a conversion problem from T3 to T4 due to the irritated bowels. It's been almost two years of researching as new issues cropped up. 

I was on pembro since the first week of Nov 2014 (immediately following FDA approval). I made it 20 months (29 rounds) before the pancreatic problems had me wanting to take a break. My CT's show that my body has been NED since January 2015. My brain has one 5mm lesion remaining…. it has been treated with gamma, we're just waiting for it to melt away. Basically, I have no reason to continue pembro infusions unless my brain crops up any unwanted new meat. Having had my last infusion in early July, I was hoping to see these autoimmune side effects taper away… and they just aren't. 

I'm in uncharted territory. Now we have to find my individual balance of what my body can handle in adverse immuno effects, versus my brain's need for control… which (in my personal case) pembro has done quite well. 

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Thanks Celeste,

ed williams
                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Hi Cancernewnormal, I had issues with my nose two years ago where I couldn't breath through my nose and was really bad at night so I started using Apo-Mometasone 50mcg nasal spray which I continue to use now and then when the symptoms comes back. Best wishes!!!Ed

ed williams
                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Hi Cancernewnormal, I had issues with my nose two years ago where I couldn't breath through my nose and was really bad at night so I started using Apo-Mometasone 50mcg nasal spray which I continue to use now and then when the symptoms comes back. Best wishes!!!Ed

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Yes! It is definitely worse at night! apo-mometasone…… I will be looking into that!

Thanks Ed!

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Yes! It is definitely worse at night! apo-mometasone…… I will be looking into that!

Thanks Ed!

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Thanks Ed!

ed williams
                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics