The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Keytruda – how long is it in your system after treatment stops?

Forums General Melanoma Community Keytruda – how long is it in your system after treatment stops?

Participant

Hello All – I'd like to start by saying how thankful I am for this forum. Whenever I have a question, this is the first place I go to seek others opinions.  There is a wealth of information and support in this group.  

Heres my question. My husband had 7 rounds of keytruda and treatment was stopped for 2 reasons. 1) he got severe diarrhea & 2) his scan showed no reason to continue – which was awesome news!  He took steroids for the diarrhea and all was back to normal. His last dose of keytruda was on May 10th. Well, starting on July 4th he started experiencing the same diarrhea just like back in mid May. Is it possible for the keytruda to still be in his system?  I'm going to contact his oncologist and GP on Monday if it does not subside by then. 

Any others have a similar experience?  

Thanks in advance. 

Julie

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

Yes, with immunotherapy drugs, side effects can pop up again, or new side effects can occur, weeks or months after the last infusion. If it cannot be controlled with Imodium, then definitely call his doctor and get him back on steroids right away. 

Jahendry12
            Participant

Thanks for the response Jenn. Going to see the doc tomorrow. Immodium not working.

Jahendry12
              Participant

Thanks for the response Jenn. Going to see the doc tomorrow. Immodium not working.

Jahendry12
                Participant

jennunicorn
                Participant

Yes, with immunotherapy drugs, side effects can pop up again, or new side effects can occur, weeks or months after the last infusion. If it cannot be controlled with Imodium, then definitely call his doctor and get him back on steroids right away. 

jennunicorn
                  Participant

MoiraM
                    Participant

Yes, contact his oncologist, who will want to know.

I was on Ipi and the side effects returned about three months after I had finished.

I know that Ipi and Keytruda do not work exactly the same way, but they both work by modifiying the way the patient's own immune system works.

Jahendry12
                        Participant

Thanks for your response.  Appreciate your input!

Jahendry12
                          Participant

Jahendry12
                            Participant

MoiraM
                            Participant

I was on Ipi and the side effects returned about three months after I had finished.

I know that Ipi and Keytruda do not work exactly the same way, but they both work by modifiying the way the patient's own immune system works.

MoiraM
                              Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics