The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Keytruda and overactive Thyroid

Forums General Melanoma Community Keytruda and overactive Thyroid

Participant

Has anyone had issues with an overactive thyroid after taking keytruda.

I have seem to have some issues swallowing and i am sort of restless and irritable.

I was wondering if this could be thyroid related and what is my doctor likely to do about it.

Thanks

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        arthurjedi007
        Participant

Thyroid should be one of the common tests. It always is for me. But mine is always normal. Since it is a common test for these meds I would think they have some protocol if it isn't right.

Artie

arthurjedi007
          Participant

Thyroid should be one of the common tests. It always is for me. But mine is always normal. Since it is a common test for these meds I would think they have some protocol if it isn't right.

Artie

arthurjedi007
            Participant

Artie

Jubes
              Participant

Hi. It is a very common side effect for the thyroid to first be over active and then change to under active. My doctor sent me to an endocrinologist from the start anticipating this problem and I have been on 75 mg thyroxin for a year. My thyroid function is gone, probably forever but just taking the pill each morning controls it. we are also watching for pituitary and adrenal problems. This should be checked before each keytruda infusion when you get your bloods done. 

Anne-Louise 

Jubes
                Participant

Hi. It is a very common side effect for the thyroid to first be over active and then change to under active. My doctor sent me to an endocrinologist from the start anticipating this problem and I have been on 75 mg thyroxin for a year. My thyroid function is gone, probably forever but just taking the pill each morning controls it. we are also watching for pituitary and adrenal problems. This should be checked before each keytruda infusion when you get your bloods done. 

Anne-Louise 

Jubes
                  Participant

Anne-Louise 

mrsaxde
                    Participant

Ipi messed with my thyroid. Very low tsh. My oncologist sent me to an endocrinologist. She put me on methimazole and as of my last test everything was back to normal

mrsaxde
                      Participant

Ipi messed with my thyroid. Very low tsh. My oncologist sent me to an endocrinologist. She put me on methimazole and as of my last test everything was back to normal

mrsaxde
                        Participant

Eileensulliv
                          Participant

After my first ipi/nivo treatment, my thyroid became very overactive, and I was treated with a medication (the name escapes me right now). It took a couple weeks, but it eventually evened out, and then became under active (hypothyroidism), for which I still take a pill daily. My thyroid is mostly well-behaved now. From what I understand, it is not uncommon to have some thyroid issues when on immunotherapy drugs. The thyroid pill I take now is Levothyroxine, 150 mg every morning, and it seems to help!

Eileensulliv
                            Participant

After my first ipi/nivo treatment, my thyroid became very overactive, and I was treated with a medication (the name escapes me right now). It took a couple weeks, but it eventually evened out, and then became under active (hypothyroidism), for which I still take a pill daily. My thyroid is mostly well-behaved now. From what I understand, it is not uncommon to have some thyroid issues when on immunotherapy drugs. The thyroid pill I take now is Levothyroxine, 150 mg every morning, and it seems to help!

Eileensulliv
                              Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics