The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Keytruda and Opdivo

Forums General Melanoma Community Keytruda and Opdivo

Participant

Has anyone progressed on Keytruda and now has moved on to Opdivo? Wondering if anyone has moved on to Opdivo with success and if insurance approved it.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        jpg
        Participant

There's a good answer to this question here:  http://melanomainternational.org/2015/08/august-3-2015-ipianti-pd1-ocular-mucosal-vaccines/#.Vb-0uflViko

The two will never go head to head because of financial interests!

jpg
          Participant

There's a good answer to this question here:  http://melanomainternational.org/2015/08/august-3-2015-ipianti-pd1-ocular-mucosal-vaccines/#.Vb-0uflViko

jpg
            Participant

RaquelP
                Participant

Thanks for responding. I think I am missing the good answer though. I just see a vague answer about not being successful to his knowledge. Am I looking in the right place?

RaquelP
                  Participant

Thanks for responding. I think I am missing the good answer though. I just see a vague answer about not being successful to his knowledge. Am I looking in the right place?

RaquelP
                    Participant

arthurjedi007
                    Participant

I progressed on keytruda but stayed on it 12 months. Then due to they ran out the day I was there I could either come back the next day or switch to opdivo. So I switched and was on it 2 months. Finally seeing another doc this week to try and get in their trial. I was on it although progressed some the whole time it really slowed the growth down a whole lot. I'll get a scan this week at the trial screening but I doubt if opdivo is any better than keytruda. However if we look deeper to the dosage and frequency the FDA approved there was a small trial arm of keytruda at that dose and frequency with a 25% response rate. Granted other arms with higher doses had responses in the 40ish%. I'm not sure about opdivo what the small response arms were at its FDA approved frequency and dose. But yes insurance approved that switch within a few minutes granted the reason was supply issues rather than progression issues. The doc said he's really not seen a difference in results but I'm his first that's been on both. As far as manufacturing there is a tiny difference in the human monoclonal antibody they are made from but it is really minor making them almost the same. Now other pd1s are made from different stuff so the response has been varied with those. Like one trial nobody responded. I feel so sorry for the folks that were in that and then excluded from other pd1 trials because they already had pd1.

Artie

jpg
                        Participant

The answer is there isn't to the doctor's knowledge a case where someone did better on opdivo vs. keytruda or vice versa. They are panning out to be the same but we will not see the clinical trial of one against the other.

Pretty much what Artie's doc said.

RaquelP
                          Participant

Oh ok. Not really looking for stats of one verses the other, but more of anyone's personal experience of trying Nivo after Keytruda or vice versa. In otherwords, do they work exactly the same or do they target different proteins allowing one to be successful for an individual over the other.

Thanks for your input Artie!

RaquelP
                            Participant

Oh ok. Not really looking for stats of one verses the other, but more of anyone's personal experience of trying Nivo after Keytruda or vice versa. In otherwords, do they work exactly the same or do they target different proteins allowing one to be successful for an individual over the other.

RaquelP
                              Participant

jpg
                                Participant

The answer is there isn't to the doctor's knowledge a case where someone did better on opdivo vs. keytruda or vice versa. They are panning out to be the same but we will not see the clinical trial of one against the other.

jpg
                                  Participant

arthurjedi007
                                  Participant

I progressed on keytruda but stayed on it 12 months. Then due to they ran out the day I was there I could either come back the next day or switch to opdivo. So I switched and was on it 2 months. Finally seeing another doc this week to try and get in their trial. I was on it although progressed some the whole time it really slowed the growth down a whole lot. I'll get a scan this week at the trial screening but I doubt if opdivo is any better than keytruda. However if we look deeper to the dosage and frequency the FDA approved there was a small trial arm of keytruda at that dose and frequency with a 25% response rate. Granted other arms with higher doses had responses in the 40ish%. I'm not sure about opdivo what the small response arms were at its FDA approved frequency and dose. But yes insurance approved that switch within a few minutes granted the reason was supply issues rather than progression issues. The doc said he's really not seen a difference in results but I'm his first that's been on both. As far as manufacturing there is a tiny difference in the human monoclonal antibody they are made from but it is really minor making them almost the same. Now other pd1s are made from different stuff so the response has been varied with those. Like one trial nobody responded. I feel so sorry for the folks that were in that and then excluded from other pd1 trials because they already had pd1.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                    Participant

Artie

ed williams
                                      Participant

Raquel, I think that if a person stops responding to one of the Pd-1 drugs, the Oncologist would probably try to get the patient into one of the new trials for other Inhibitory pathways like Tim-3 or Lag-3 or one of the trials looking at Activatiing receptors like GITR or OX40. They might also be directed towards Adoptive T-cell therapy that Dr. Patrick Hwu at M.D. Anderson specializes in. Wishing you the best!!! Ed

ed williams
                                        Participant

Raquel, I think that if a person stops responding to one of the Pd-1 drugs, the Oncologist would probably try to get the patient into one of the new trials for other Inhibitory pathways like Tim-3 or Lag-3 or one of the trials looking at Activatiing receptors like GITR or OX40. They might also be directed towards Adoptive T-cell therapy that Dr. Patrick Hwu at M.D. Anderson specializes in. Wishing you the best!!! Ed

jpg
                                            Participant

A personal experience isn't as important as a large group of people.  And the companies will not do a trial of Pd1 vs. Pd1 probably.  So going through a lot with insurance to switch from one to the other isn't probably worth the hassle. I did hear that if you do well on IPI you will do well on PD1 but not a big study on that either.

jpg
                                              Participant

A personal experience isn't as important as a large group of people.  And the companies will not do a trial of Pd1 vs. Pd1 probably.  So going through a lot with insurance to switch from one to the other isn't probably worth the hassle. I did hear that if you do well on IPI you will do well on PD1 but not a big study on that either.

RaquelP
                                                Participant

Luckily the scans came back as stable and maybe even a little regression so we can table the thought of switching anti PD-1 for now. Since there are no clinical trials comparing all I can go on are personal experiences. I Just wanted to point out that not everyone has access to clinical trials. She is disqualified from them so was just trying to look at options. And anything is worth the hassle to get her better, even insurance companies.

thanks to those for listening.

RaquelP
                                                  Participant

Luckily the scans came back as stable and maybe even a little regression so we can table the thought of switching anti PD-1 for now. Since there are no clinical trials comparing all I can go on are personal experiences. I Just wanted to point out that not everyone has access to clinical trials. She is disqualified from them so was just trying to look at options. And anything is worth the hassle to get her better, even insurance companies.

jpg
                                                    Participant

Worth it Only if a better response can be gotten.  Not the case switching from Keytruda to Opdivo.

jpg
                                                      Participant

Worth it Only if a better response can be gotten.  Not the case switching from Keytruda to Opdivo.

jpg
                                                        Participant

RaquelP
                                                          Participant

jpg
                                                            Participant

ed williams
                                                            Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics