The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Keytruda

Forums General Melanoma Community Keytruda

Participant

My son'ds dr told me that they will be stopping his Keytruda when he reaches 1 year.I am worried about that.Is that normal process?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

You might be interested in the discussion below "When to stop immunos".  Hope it helps.  Celeste

TexMelanomex
          Participant

Hi Sharon,

I just recently passed the one year mark on Keytruda and they are going to keep me going until 2 years is reached (or I stop tolerating the drug). I'm not sure what the normal process is and maybe it depends on the response, location, etc?

MelanomaMike
            Participant

Hi, it seems rather odd that an Oncologist would literaly perdict a "stopage" to an Immunal Therapy not knowing "if" its gunna be benificial to your son "or not"..are you sure you may have "not" understood him/her correctly? hmmm..id ask the Onco to run it by you again, sometimes we hear different stuff the second time around! aka "Stress"! be well…

BlessedForLife
              Participant

Hi Sharon,

I’m not sure what your son’s status is, but I have been NED since about the 4 month mark, and my doc did stop my immuno at 1 year.

The research is beginning to show that anything over that may be “over treatment”.  I think treatment duration is still rather clinic specific. I asked the same question on this forum before I stopped. I felt very confident in the responses I received.  I can also tell you that I went 1 treatment over a year and I started to experience some unwanted side effects. So what my doc was concerned about did in fact show up in, thankfully, a fixable, way.

I wish you and your son the best.

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics