The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Just saying hello :)

Forums General Melanoma Community Just saying hello :)

Participant

I finally registred an account on melanoma.org and I thought I would say hello and give a quick update.  I've been NED since my last surgery and radiation treatment sometime in 2003.  For those of you who don't know, I was originally diagnosed as either Stage IIIC or Stage IV — I had a total of 16 of 19 lymph nodes from my right axilla test positive for melanoma.  

I finally registred an account on melanoma.org and I thought I would say hello and give a quick update.  I've been NED since my last surgery and radiation treatment sometime in 2003.  For those of you who don't know, I was originally diagnosed as either Stage IIIC or Stage IV — I had a total of 16 of 19 lymph nodes from my right axilla test positive for melanoma.  

I had  3 surgeries: a surgical biopsy, a WLE, and a final surgery (I had a recurrence about a year after original dx).  I did the high dose interferon for the first month, but did not do the 1 year long treatment.

I feel extremely fortunate to be alive and to also have a great quality of life.  Other than a few scars, I haven't had any complications, except that lymphedema in my right (also dominant) arm showed up last year — over 7 years after final surgery and radiation.  It was a bit surprising, but I won't complain, given that I had a canteloupe sized mass removed on my 2nd surgery, plus radiation treatment, I was lucky to not have it right away.

I'm back in Austin, TX and a full time student at the University of Texas — studying Psychology and Computer Science — with about 1 year left.  I have a girlfriend of a little over 3 years now, who has a 9 year old daughter.  I adore them both.  I've also started a new company, Predictable Data, and it is going well.

OK, just wanted to say hello to old friend and give an update. 

-Dwayne

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        JerryfromFauq
        Participant
          Sehr gut. Always love to read posts like this. They help show so many others that there is hope!
            Guten Tag
            Participant

Exactly why I wanted to post. I'm sooooo fortunate — sharing my story is the *least* I can do.

Guten Tag
              Participant

Exactly why I wanted to post. I'm sooooo fortunate — sharing my story is the *least* I can do.

Guten Tag
                Participant

JerryfromFauq
                Participant
                  Sehr gut. Always love to read posts like this. They help show so many others that there is hope!
                  JerryfromFauq
                  Participant
                    aldakota22
                    Participant

Life is good,Consider yourself one of the lucky ones.Praying that everyone  here is twice as lucky as you are.There are so many tough stories posted that it always gives inspiration to the rest of us there there is hope .The people here are always on my mind .Till we are all NED all the best tou you.  Al

aldakota22
                      Participant

Life is good,Consider yourself one of the lucky ones.Praying that everyone  here is twice as lucky as you are.There are so many tough stories posted that it always gives inspiration to the rest of us there there is hope .The people here are always on my mind .Till we are all NED all the best tou you.  Al

aldakota22
                        Participant

Janner
                          Participant

Guten Morgen, Guten Tag!  Nice to see you posting.  It's been a while since we've heard from you!  Glad things seem to be going well – both melanoma-wise and life-wise!!!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                            Participant

Guten Morgen, Guten Tag!  Nice to see you posting.  It's been a while since we've heard from you!  Glad things seem to be going well – both melanoma-wise and life-wise!!!

Best wishes,

Janner

Guten Tag
                                Participant

Hey Janner!   Yes, long time no chat. πŸ™‚  How are you?

Guten Tag
                                  Participant

Guten Tag
                                    Participant

Janner
                                    Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

DebbieH
                                      Participant

Dwayne!  It's great to see you – so happy to hear everything is going well with you.  Good luck with your studies and your new company – stay in touch!

DebbieH

DebbieH
                                        Participant

Dwayne!  It's great to see you – so happy to hear everything is going well with you.  Good luck with your studies and your new company – stay in touch!

DebbieH

Snickers60
                                            Participant

Oh my goodness……………YOU JUST MADE THIS GIRL'S DAY !   

I give many thanks for your NED report for sooooo long !    OH MY – thanks a MILLION for

coming back to visit and tell some of us oldies, but newbies again that there is HOPE for

long term health !

WOW……..I hope you get a go-zillion years.   πŸ™‚   

Nancy (devoted wife of #3 X Warrior Wayne) 

Thank you – thank you – thank you………………!!!    πŸ™‚

Snickers60
                                              Participant

I give many thanks for your NED report for sooooo long !    OH MY – thanks a MILLION for

coming back to visit and tell some of us oldies, but newbies again that there is HOPE for

long term health !

Snickers60
                                                Participant

long term health !

Guten Tag
                                                  Participant

Thanks Debbie!  How are you?!

-Dwayne

Guten Tag
                                                    Participant

-Dwayne

Guten Tag
                                                      Participant

-Dwayne

DebbieH
                                                      Participant

DebbieH

Charlie S
                                                        Participant

Hey Dwayne !  Seems like forever since seeing you in Dallas now six years ago.  Glad to hear you are doing well.

Now, about that girfriend, guess this one of three is not the same one six years ago?  (chuckle)

Either way, my best to you.

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                                          Participant

Hey Dwayne !  Seems like forever since seeing you in Dallas now six years ago.  Glad to hear you are doing well.

Now, about that girfriend, guess this one of three is not the same one six years ago?  (chuckle)

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                                            Participant

Charlie S

Guten Tag
                                                                Participant

Heya Charlie,

It's so hard to believe that was 6 years ago!  And nope, different girlfriend. πŸ™‚

My best also back to you!

-Dwayne

Guten Tag
                                                                  Participant

Heya Charlie,

It's so hard to believe that was 6 years ago!  And nope, different girlfriend. πŸ™‚

-Dwayne

Guten Tag
                                                                    Participant

Heya Charlie,

-Dwayne

Angelica Camargo
                                                                    Participant

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your amazing journey! This give us all strength to fight and to be positive. 

Angelica Camargo
                                                                      Participant

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your amazing journey! This give us all strength to fight and to be positive. 

Angelica Camargo
                                                                        Participant

Guten Tag
                                                                            Participant

Angelica,

I'm glad if in any small way I can help.  I have been so fortunate.  Even when it was hard, I've always kept a positivie attitude and I do believe my attitude has helped keep me alive and kicking for so long.  

I mean, I could either make the best of it or be miserable; it's not a hard choice. πŸ™‚

-Dwayne

Irish girl
                                                                              Participant

As a newly diganosed melanoma warrior, its such an inspiration to read your story. Thank you for taking the time to share…

Irish girl
                                                                                Participant

As a newly diganosed melanoma warrior, its such an inspiration to read your story. Thank you for taking the time to share…

Irish girl
                                                                                  Participant

Guten Tag
                                                                                    Participant

Angelica,

I'm glad if in any small way I can help.  I have been so fortunate.  Even when it was hard, I've always kept a positivie attitude and I do believe my attitude has helped keep me alive and kicking for so long.  

I mean, I could either make the best of it or be miserable; it's not a hard choice. πŸ™‚

-Dwayne

Guten Tag
                                                                                      Participant

Angelica,

-Dwayne

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics