The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Just got diagnosed with Melanoma on my rt thumb nail bed

Forums General Melanoma Community Just got diagnosed with Melanoma on my rt thumb nail bed

Participant

Hi all,

Wanted to see if there was some insight on where to go, best place to get treated, what to expect. I'm playing the waiting game with my doctors to see what next steps might be.

I had an initial biopsy of the affected area July 2014… biopsy can back negative for cancer, positive for Lichen Planus. May 2015, same area was biopsied again… Biopsy came back melanoma positive… the unusual part of the melanoma is that it doesn't have any dark spots (aka colorless)

Was hoping for some insight as to where it would be best to treat this type of melanoma… I have a few options…

– Univeristy of Miami (Florida) Sylvester Cancer Clinic

– Northwestern University Chicago

– Moffitt Clinic Tampa, FL

Also, any general advice would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Moffitt!  Definitely a place that specializes in melanoma.  Melanoma without color is called amelanotic.  It happens to a smaller percentage of the melanoma population but it certainly isn't unheard of.

Janner
          Participant

Moffitt!  Definitely a place that specializes in melanoma.  Melanoma without color is called amelanotic.  It happens to a smaller percentage of the melanoma population but it certainly isn't unheard of.

Janner
            Participant

arthurjedi007
              Participant

Like janner said definitely mofffitt. Dr weber is the best melanoma doc there but I'm sure there are others as well.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                Participant

Like janner said definitely mofffitt. Dr weber is the best melanoma doc there but I'm sure there are others as well.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                  Participant

Artie

A
                    Participant

I am very sorry about your diagnosis!

Could you please describe how your melanoma/affected nail area looked like? Since it was colorless, I believe it is important to be aware of the signs. Thank you.

jvictoria
                        Participant

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

The whole thing started as a ridge/line down the center of my nail. I paid no notice to it since I have other ridges that appear to be normal. One day the nail split in two and began to fall off the finger… I thought it was odd but, I assumed that the nail would just grow back so again I did not seek medical attention. Time passed and the nail did not grow back normally and at the bottom where the nail bed was what looked like a small patch or reddened/inflamed skin. At that time, I sought out medical attention and the first biopsy was performed.

jvictoria
                          Participant

Just got an update from the hospital that did the original Biopsy in July 2014… I had informed them of the current malenoma findings from the current biopsy; they went in and did a deeper study of the original biopsy and found malenoma… frustrating to say the least.

jvictoria
                            Participant

Just got an update from the hospital that did the original Biopsy in July 2014… I had informed them of the current malenoma findings from the current biopsy; they went in and did a deeper study of the original biopsy and found malenoma… frustrating to say the least.

jvictoria
                              Participant

Marianne quinn
                                Participant

Juan- sorry about your diagnosis. Melanoma under the thumbnail is very rare.my husband is NED after yervoy and surgery. Please contact me through the website or read my posts for more info. I hope to hear from you. Marianne . He had melanoma on his left thumb nail bed .

Marianne quinn
                                  Participant

Juan- sorry about your diagnosis. Melanoma under the thumbnail is very rare.my husband is NED after yervoy and surgery. Please contact me through the website or read my posts for more info. I hope to hear from you. Marianne . He had melanoma on his left thumb nail bed .

Patti
                                    Participant

Juan I too have this same type of melanoma – under my left thumb nail bed – it sounds very similar to your story with the split nail and the anil falling off.  I had to have half of my thumb amputated in Dec 2014.  The melanoma had not apread to my lymph nodes and the pet scan was clear so it is just a watch and wait for now!  I hope you find a great surgeon and oncologist.  Patti

Patti
                                      Participant

Juan I too have this same type of melanoma – under my left thumb nail bed – it sounds very similar to your story with the split nail and the anil falling off.  I had to have half of my thumb amputated in Dec 2014.  The melanoma had not apread to my lymph nodes and the pet scan was clear so it is just a watch and wait for now!  I hope you find a great surgeon and oncologist.  Patti

Patti
                                        Participant

Marianne quinn
                                          Participant

jvictoria
                                            Participant

Surgery tomorrow… thumb amputation and centinal node removal at Moffitt. Had a small side issue where I got a blood clot in my lower left leg complicating issues a bit.

Juan

jvictoria
                                              Participant

Surgery tomorrow… thumb amputation and centinal node removal at Moffitt. Had a small side issue where I got a blood clot in my lower left leg complicating issues a bit.

Juan

jvictoria
                                                Participant

Juan

jvictoria
                                                  Participant

Results are back… Amputation went as well as can be expected. Sentinel node came back 2 of 10 nodes removed had cancer. Moffit is recommending full nodal removal in left arm and potentially go on a clinical trial. All your thoughts on this are welcome.

I have been getting some conflicts on this… some people are saying that the full node removal sholdn't be done and I should go directly on a trial… then I hear yo can't go on a trial unless you have all your nodes removed.

Juan

tekpc81
                                                    Participant

Hi Juan, 

I am just wondering if there are any updates on your condition. I happened to come to this site during some research into the condition. I hope you are doing better and looking forward to hearing from you on the outcome. thank you.

tekpc81
                                                      Participant

Hi Juan, 

I am just wondering if there are any updates on your condition. I happened to come to this site during some research into the condition. I hope you are doing better and looking forward to hearing from you on the outcome. thank you.

tekpc81
                                                        Participant

Hi Juan, 

jvictoria
                                                          Participant

Results are back… Amputation went as well as can be expected. Sentinel node came back 2 of 10 nodes removed had cancer. Moffit is recommending full nodal removal in left arm and potentially go on a clinical trial. All your thoughts on this are welcome.

I have been getting some conflicts on this… some people are saying that the full node removal sholdn't be done and I should go directly on a trial… then I hear yo can't go on a trial unless you have all your nodes removed.

Juan

jvictoria
                                                            Participant

Juan

jvictoria
                                                              Participant

The whole thing started as a ridge/line down the center of my nail. I paid no notice to it since I have other ridges that appear to be normal. One day the nail split in two and began to fall off the finger… I thought it was odd but, I assumed that the nail would just grow back so again I did not seek medical attention. Time passed and the nail did not grow back normally and at the bottom where the nail bed was what looked like a small patch or reddened/inflamed skin. At that time, I sought out medical attention and the first biopsy was performed.

jvictoria
                                                                Participant

A
                                                                Participant

Could you please describe how your melanoma/affected nail area looked like? Since it was colorless, I believe it is important to be aware of the signs. Thank you.

A
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics