The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Just diagnosed, preparing for surgery

Forums General Melanoma Community Just diagnosed, preparing for surgery

Participant

I had some soft tissue removed from my left groin on 2/23/11 because I had discovered a lump. It came back melanoma. No sight has been found. I had a pet scan, ct scans of my abdomen, pelvis, brain and chest done 2 weeks ago. No cancer showed up anywhere. My doctor wants to do a  superficial dissection of my lymph nodes. Just wondering if anyone of these cicumstances and a normal practice?

I had some soft tissue removed from my left groin on 2/23/11 because I had discovered a lump. It came back melanoma. No sight has been found. I had a pet scan, ct scans of my abdomen, pelvis, brain and chest done 2 weeks ago. No cancer showed up anywhere. My doctor wants to do a  superficial dissection of my lymph nodes. Just wondering if anyone of these cicumstances and a normal practice?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Lisa13
        Participant

Hi there,

I'm sorry to see you've joined the rest of us on this board.  Thankfully, this is a wonderful website for support, education and hope.

Since your lump was melanoma and in your lymph nodes, they need to remove them to make sure they havn't spread to any other nodes (common practice).   I also had a superficial lymph node dissection a month ago as a PET scan lit up around my nodes. Thankfully, only one was cancerous.  Even though you have no evidence of disease right now, the cancer was in your groin, so they'll need to remove your lymph nodes to make sure everything is okay.  

Lisa  – Stage 3

Carol Taylor
            Participant

I just want to echo what Lisa says.  My melanoma started in a mole on my upper left arm, spread to lymph nodes under that arm, only in first node.  That first operation they took out two nodes.  A month later they went back and took the other 25 to be on the safe side and all those were negative.  If they will take all yours in one op, to me that would be a plus. However they do it, please be OK about it because it really is the right procedure.  You've come this far.  Better as safe as you can be than to maybe face future regrets.  Prayers are with you.

For you and anyone else who's interested, I began a FB page called Melanoma Prayer Center.  Drop by.

Grace and peace,

Carol Stage 3B

Carol Taylor
              Participant

I just want to echo what Lisa says.  My melanoma started in a mole on my upper left arm, spread to lymph nodes under that arm, only in first node.  That first operation they took out two nodes.  A month later they went back and took the other 25 to be on the safe side and all those were negative.  If they will take all yours in one op, to me that would be a plus. However they do it, please be OK about it because it really is the right procedure.  You've come this far.  Better as safe as you can be than to maybe face future regrets.  Prayers are with you.

For you and anyone else who's interested, I began a FB page called Melanoma Prayer Center.  Drop by.

Grace and peace,

Carol Stage 3B

cindasious
                Participant

Thank you so much for your reply. I am just so confused with all of this. We are praying every minute trying to understand. You have been a great help. 

Carol Taylor
                  Participant

It's OK to be confused, but you'll have many decisions to make in the years ahead, so please don't let yourself get boggled down in a sea of confusion.  You need to remain clear-headed.  By all means pray, but I'm not sure what you mean by "trying to understand."  If you're trying to understand "why" this is happening, your prayers will better be spent trying to understand what God would have you do in this situation.  Don't get sidetracked.  Get the best advice you can from your medical team.  Your story will not and does not look exactly like mine or anyone elses.  We can support you, pray for you, and give the best advice we can give, but at the end of the day the choices are yours and yours alone…even familly closest to you can't make them.  You have to do what you are comfortable with.

Pray against the confusion and for a clear head.  Pray for wisdom, both fpr yourself & famiy and for medical team.  Pray for strength…you will be told things in your journey that you will have to handle.  I don't know what you'll be told but I do know you will have to be able to deal and cope and you'll need strength.  Pray for the voice to tell people what you need from them.  Pray for those who will be tending to you post-op…they need care too…don't wear them out and don't let them wear themselves out.

I'm not trying to sound harsh, but honest.  A lot of folks who don't know what you're going through are going to try and coddle you and that's OK up to a point.  You'll need some babying once in a while.  But right now you've got to deal with what you've got to deal with.  You'll find you're stronger and tougher than you ever knew.  Use this as a learning time and a time to prioritize your life…you'll learn what really matters and what doesn't.  Keep a postiive attitude and let go of the confusion, it won't help you any.

Prayers for you!  And peace!

steelergirl
                    Participant

I had a mole removed from my right calf in 6/07 along with one lymph node from my right groin.  That lymph node tested postive of cancer. In  september of that  year, I had a LND of my right pelvic area.  I did get a second opinion, of who agreed with my onc of what to do.  I did have a huge source of prayer for me.  I still do.  I think I will never understand why?,  or see how this is to prosper me and not to harm me (Jeremiah 29:11).  I right in my diary and post on my blog and that does help.  I have 3 friends who are also cancer survivors, which does help in when I need to talk.  Everybody on here understands what you are going there.

steelergirl
                      Participant

I had a mole removed from my right calf in 6/07 along with one lymph node from my right groin.  That lymph node tested postive of cancer. In  september of that  year, I had a LND of my right pelvic area.  I did get a second opinion, of who agreed with my onc of what to do.  I did have a huge source of prayer for me.  I still do.  I think I will never understand why?,  or see how this is to prosper me and not to harm me (Jeremiah 29:11).  I right in my diary and post on my blog and that does help.  I have 3 friends who are also cancer survivors, which does help in when I need to talk.  Everybody on here understands what you are going there.

steelergirl
                        Participant

steelergirl
                          Participant

Carol Taylor
                            Participant

It's OK to be confused, but you'll have many decisions to make in the years ahead, so please don't let yourself get boggled down in a sea of confusion.  You need to remain clear-headed.  By all means pray, but I'm not sure what you mean by "trying to understand."  If you're trying to understand "why" this is happening, your prayers will better be spent trying to understand what God would have you do in this situation.  Don't get sidetracked.  Get the best advice you can from your medical team.  Your story will not and does not look exactly like mine or anyone elses.  We can support you, pray for you, and give the best advice we can give, but at the end of the day the choices are yours and yours alone…even familly closest to you can't make them.  You have to do what you are comfortable with.

Pray against the confusion and for a clear head.  Pray for wisdom, both fpr yourself & famiy and for medical team.  Pray for strength…you will be told things in your journey that you will have to handle.  I don't know what you'll be told but I do know you will have to be able to deal and cope and you'll need strength.  Pray for the voice to tell people what you need from them.  Pray for those who will be tending to you post-op…they need care too…don't wear them out and don't let them wear themselves out.

I'm not trying to sound harsh, but honest.  A lot of folks who don't know what you're going through are going to try and coddle you and that's OK up to a point.  You'll need some babying once in a while.  But right now you've got to deal with what you've got to deal with.  You'll find you're stronger and tougher than you ever knew.  Use this as a learning time and a time to prioritize your life…you'll learn what really matters and what doesn't.  Keep a postiive attitude and let go of the confusion, it won't help you any.

Prayers for you!  And peace!

cindasious
                              Participant

Thank you so much for your reply. I am just so confused with all of this. We are praying every minute trying to understand. You have been a great help. 

Lisa13
                              Participant

Hi there,

I'm sorry to see you've joined the rest of us on this board.  Thankfully, this is a wonderful website for support, education and hope.

Since your lump was melanoma and in your lymph nodes, they need to remove them to make sure they havn't spread to any other nodes (common practice).   I also had a superficial lymph node dissection a month ago as a PET scan lit up around my nodes. Thankfully, only one was cancerous.  Even though you have no evidence of disease right now, the cancer was in your groin, so they'll need to remove your lymph nodes to make sure everything is okay.  

Lisa  – Stage 3

Viewing 1 reply thread
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics