The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Just Diagnosed for 2nd Time

Forums General Melanoma Community Just Diagnosed for 2nd Time

Participant

I just celebrated my 2 year remission from melanoma in October. I noticed a mole on my leg last month that I knew in my heart was melanoma and I was right. My doctor just called me today on a Saturday to tell me Stage 1 Level 3. Will be having surgery within 2 weeks. 

Getting my thoughts together and going to relax and do all I need to do but I am not going to play the victim. I will overcome.

Wasn't in a suport group before but felt I wanted to start doing this now. 

I am going to think of "living fully with cancer"……just wanted to post for the first time. 

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Aloha14
        Participant

I'm sorry to hear you have another Melanoma. I hope it's small since you caught it early. Would this one be related to your first one, 2 years apart? I hope your surgery goes well. 

Aloha14
          Participant

I'm sorry to hear you have another Melanoma. I hope it's small since you caught it early. Would this one be related to your first one, 2 years apart? I hope your surgery goes well. 

mimisadie
              Participant

the first one was on my shoulder. So this is a new one on my leg. It's actually larger than the one I had the first time. Will keep posting as I find out things. I am actually doing a lot of reading since yesterday and I am actually handling this differently this time. The first time I kept everything to myself and didn't share until it was removed. I am being more open this time.

mimisadie
                Participant

the first one was on my shoulder. So this is a new one on my leg. It's actually larger than the one I had the first time. Will keep posting as I find out things. I am actually doing a lot of reading since yesterday and I am actually handling this differently this time. The first time I kept everything to myself and didn't share until it was removed. I am being more open this time.

mimisadie
                  Participant

Aloha14
                  Participant

Marksa2570
                    Participant

I just had my first one removed… stage 1 level 3 also.     My big concern is it coming back but I am glad to hear you caught it early.        Sounds like your doctors are getting you in quickly.      Best of luck with the surgery.  I will keep you in my thoughts.       

mimisadie
                        Participant

Thanks so much. I will be hearing tomorrow when my surgery will be.

mimisadie
                          Participant

mimisadie
                            Participant

Marksa2570
                            Participant

I just had my first one removed… stage 1 level 3 also.     My big concern is it coming back but I am glad to hear you caught it early.        Sounds like your doctors are getting you in quickly.      Best of luck with the surgery.  I will keep you in my thoughts.       

Marksa2570
                              Participant

Janner
                                Participant

So you are still in "remission" or technically NED (no evidence of disease).  You didn't have a recurrence from the first one — that was is gone and did not come back.  You had a new primary melanoma – totally independent of the 1st one.  Again, this is not a recurrence but a 2nd primary.  That is a big distinction.  It sucks, but unless your first one was smaller, this won't change your staging or change anything else for that matter.  Have it removed, and move forward!

mimisadie
                                    Participant

thanks for clarifying that for me. So…not a recurrence but a new one becuase the first one was on the shoulder and this is on the leg. This one is larger. Will find out tomorrow when the surgery is. I am doing a lot of reading and reflecting today. Reading some books from Dr. Bernie Siegal…….I didn't share this before but melanoma runs in my family…..my grandfather and my father both had melanoma……Geez….

mimisadie
                                      Participant

thanks for clarifying that for me. So…not a recurrence but a new one becuase the first one was on the shoulder and this is on the leg. This one is larger. Will find out tomorrow when the surgery is. I am doing a lot of reading and reflecting today. Reading some books from Dr. Bernie Siegal…….I didn't share this before but melanoma runs in my family…..my grandfather and my father both had melanoma……Geez….

mimisadie
                                        Participant

Janner
                                        Participant

So you are still in "remission" or technically NED (no evidence of disease).  You didn't have a recurrence from the first one — that was is gone and did not come back.  You had a new primary melanoma – totally independent of the 1st one.  Again, this is not a recurrence but a 2nd primary.  That is a big distinction.  It sucks, but unless your first one was smaller, this won't change your staging or change anything else for that matter.  Have it removed, and move forward!

Janner
                                          Participant

maperny
                                            Participant

Good luck!  As you see from this board you are not alone and you sound like you have a great attitude and will handle this well.  

Maria

maperny
                                              Participant

Good luck!  As you see from this board you are not alone and you sound like you have a great attitude and will handle this well.  

Maria

maperny
                                                Participant

Maria

Everymoment
                                                  Participant
                                                    You have a great and positive attitude….No matter how many you have….You are doing good catching them early!
                                                    Everymoment
                                                    Participant
                                                      You have a great and positive attitude….No matter how many you have….You are doing good catching them early!
                                                      Everymoment
                                                      Participant
                                                    Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics