The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Is Yervoy for brain mets? Your help is greatly appreciated

Forums General Melanoma Community Is Yervoy for brain mets? Your help is greatly appreciated

Participant

Had some scans last week that came back somewhat inconclusive.  MRI showed a few spots in the thalamus and some areas near the tumors that were removed from my brain that were "enhanced" after the injection of the dye, but PET/CT said "No suspicious hypermetobolic lesions detected".  If it is cancer, I would like to know if any of you out there have used Yervoy (ipi) for brain mets?  Is Yervoy being administered only in clinical trials or can I get it from my oncologist?

Had some scans last week that came back somewhat inconclusive.  MRI showed a few spots in the thalamus and some areas near the tumors that were removed from my brain that were "enhanced" after the injection of the dye, but PET/CT said "No suspicious hypermetobolic lesions detected".  If it is cancer, I would like to know if any of you out there have used Yervoy (ipi) for brain mets?  Is Yervoy being administered only in clinical trials or can I get it from my oncologist?

I've read that Yervoy is a large molecule  (and thus won't pass the blood brain barrier), but then again I see that it has been used with some success for some people with brain mets.  Apparently the white blood cells are still able to cross the blood/brain barrier.  

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.  Going through some hard times not knowing.  

Thanks, David

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

David, Yervoy can be used in patients with brain mets. However, I don't know if it would
          be suitable in your situation and you would need to consult an oncologist about it.

Yervoy works by acting on the immune system and therefore has the ability to treat
          tumours anywhere in the body. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipilimumab and
          http://www.yervoy.com/patient/about-yervoy.aspx

An oncologist can prescribe it for you, but that would depend if it is approved and
          available in your location.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
          Participant

David, Yervoy can be used in patients with brain mets. However, I don't know if it would
            be suitable in your situation and you would need to consult an oncologist about it.

Yervoy works by acting on the immune system and therefore has the ability to treat

An oncologist can prescribe it for you, but that would depend if it is approved and

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
            Participant

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

nikolaos
              Participant

Hello David. Ipilimumab does not attack tumors itself. It stimulates immune system so that it recognize melanoma and produces lymphocytes that attack tumors. Those lymphocytes can hopefully cross the brain barrier and do the job. At early trials there have been no study references to agree with that statement- however most of them (i think all of them) did not include in the study patients with brain metastases..

However i have come across one study which suggests that ipilimumab has the same level (or at least almost the same) of activity in central nervous system like in extracranial sites.. Here is the link to the study. Look at the conclusion.

http://www.asco.org/ascov2/Meetings/Abstracts?&vmview=abst_detail_view&confID=74&abstractID=50834

Conclusions: Ipi has a similar level of activity in brain and non-CNS lesions. This is the first study to prospectively evaluate Ipi in advanced melanoma pts with brain mets, and the data support its potential use as a treatment for these pts. The analyses are ongoing and final data will be presented.

nikolaos
                Participant

Hello David. Ipilimumab does not attack tumors itself. It stimulates immune system so that it recognize melanoma and produces lymphocytes that attack tumors. Those lymphocytes can hopefully cross the brain barrier and do the job. At early trials there have been no study references to agree with that statement- however most of them (i think all of them) did not include in the study patients with brain metastases..

However i have come across one study which suggests that ipilimumab has the same level (or at least almost the same) of activity in central nervous system like in extracranial sites.. Here is the link to the study. Look at the conclusion.

http://www.asco.org/ascov2/Meetings/Abstracts?&vmview=abst_detail_view&confID=74&abstractID=50834

Conclusions: Ipi has a similar level of activity in brain and non-CNS lesions. This is the first study to prospectively evaluate Ipi in advanced melanoma pts with brain mets, and the data support its potential use as a treatment for these pts. The analyses are ongoing and final data will be presented.

nikolaos
                  Participant

fdess056
                    Participant

Hi David  Good to hear from you again.  I was scheduled to start IPI in January for lung mets.  Onc ordered a brain MRI just to have an updated base line.  MRI showed leptomeningeal metastasis, which I believe you've had also.  Onc decided to stick with IPI anyway since it does break the brain barrier.  I have my 3rd infusion scheduled for this Thursday.   I also  just had a set of 4 MRIs done on Saturday……brain and complete spine..   Once I get results I'll take CD and report  to a new neuro-oncologist for consultation.  I'll let you know how it al works out  Best of luck to you!

frankd  brooklyn NY 

fdess056
                      Participant

Hi David  Good to hear from you again.  I was scheduled to start IPI in January for lung mets.  Onc ordered a brain MRI just to have an updated base line.  MRI showed leptomeningeal metastasis, which I believe you've had also.  Onc decided to stick with IPI anyway since it does break the brain barrier.  I have my 3rd infusion scheduled for this Thursday.   I also  just had a set of 4 MRIs done on Saturday……brain and complete spine..   Once I get results I'll take CD and report  to a new neuro-oncologist for consultation.  I'll let you know how it al works out  Best of luck to you!

frankd  brooklyn NY 

fdess056
                        Participant

frankd  brooklyn NY 

davidfromsingapore
                            Participant

Frank

Thanks so much for your reply.  I do have a question about the Yervoy (ipi).  My oncologist has said it is a large molecule drug and thus does not cross the bb barrier.  But he did say that the white blood cells that it creates will cross the BBB.  Are you certain that Yervoy crosses the BBB?  That would be good news for sure.  Do you think that ipi can give you a long term or complete response for the leptomeningeal melanoma?  What is your next step?  I think I'm headed down the ipi trail. 

David 

fdess056
                              Participant

David, good timing on your question.  I just got back from seeing a neuro-oncologist at Mt Sinaiin Manhattan.  He confirmed the opinion of my head onc  that Yervoy does penetrate the brain barrier.  However, he did note that it is not approved in the US by the Food & Drug Admin for that purpose, so there is some controversy about this subject.   Since i also have a met on my left lung, they were able to get clearance to  use the yervoy.  My latest brain MRIs show a  small decrease in size of the original brain met….(possibly due to yervoy?) with no further spread to the brain or spinal column.     This is after 2 yervoy infusions. I have my 3rd one on Thursday.  He  wants to try  Gamma Knife surgery in conjunction with the yervoy.  I'm waiting to hear back from radiology on their insight.  I hope this helps and wish you all the best  You'll continue to be in my thoughts.

FrankD

fdess056
                                Participant

David, good timing on your question.  I just got back from seeing a neuro-oncologist at Mt Sinaiin Manhattan.  He confirmed the opinion of my head onc  that Yervoy does penetrate the brain barrier.  However, he did note that it is not approved in the US by the Food & Drug Admin for that purpose, so there is some controversy about this subject.   Since i also have a met on my left lung, they were able to get clearance to  use the yervoy.  My latest brain MRIs show a  small decrease in size of the original brain met….(possibly due to yervoy?) with no further spread to the brain or spinal column.     This is after 2 yervoy infusions. I have my 3rd one on Thursday.  He  wants to try  Gamma Knife surgery in conjunction with the yervoy.  I'm waiting to hear back from radiology on their insight.  I hope this helps and wish you all the best  You'll continue to be in my thoughts.

FrankD

fdess056
                                  Participant

FrankD

davidfromsingapore
                                    Participant

Frank

Thanks so much for your reply.  I do have a question about the Yervoy (ipi).  My oncologist has said it is a large molecule drug and thus does not cross the bb barrier.  But he did say that the white blood cells that it creates will cross the BBB.  Are you certain that Yervoy crosses the BBB?  That would be good news for sure.  Do you think that ipi can give you a long term or complete response for the leptomeningeal melanoma?  What is your next step?  I think I'm headed down the ipi trail. 

David 

davidfromsingapore
                                      Participant

Frank

David 

NancyGM
                                      Participant

David, I do know that Temodar (temozolamide) crosses the blood brain barrier. Have your doctors considered this chemo pill? I did 10 rounds in 2007 and have been clear now for 4 years. I didn't have brain mets. I had a pretty good size lung met which could not be surgically removed.

Very best of luck to you.You have a beautiful family. I think life is full of miracles..who is to say you might not just be one?

davidfromsingapore
                                          Participant

Nancy

Thanks for the helpful advice and the kind words.  Temodar is indeed one of my options.  I think it is the drug my oncologist prefer actually.  Hearing your success definitely helps.  

All the best, David

davidfromsingapore
                                            Participant

Nancy

Thanks for the helpful advice and the kind words.  Temodar is indeed one of my options.  I think it is the drug my oncologist prefer actually.  Hearing your success definitely helps.  

All the best, David

davidfromsingapore
                                              Participant

Nancy

All the best, David

NancyGM
                                              Participant

David, I do know that Temodar (temozolamide) crosses the blood brain barrier. Have your doctors considered this chemo pill? I did 10 rounds in 2007 and have been clear now for 4 years. I didn't have brain mets. I had a pretty good size lung met which could not be surgically removed.

Very best of luck to you.You have a beautiful family. I think life is full of miracles..who is to say you might not just be one?

NancyGM
                                                Participant

NancyGM
                                                  Participant

NancyGM
                                                    Participant

NancyGM
                                                      Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics