The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Is tooth decay an adverse effect of immunotherap?

Forums General Melanoma Community Is tooth decay an adverse effect of immunotherap?

Participant

Does anyone know if tooth decay (dental caries) is a known adverse effect of immunotherapy, specifically Keytruda and/or Ipi?

Thank you!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Casitas1
        Participant

I have had 0 cavities on IPI/NIVO, low dose chemo and now Keytruda.

Best, Paul

Maureen038
            Participant

My husband was on the Ipi/Nivo trial and was taken off a year and half ago and since then he has dealt with dry mouth. He has had two cavities since the trial. His dentist says the lack of salvia can do that. He uses biotin, sugarless candies and a special toothpaste from the dentist called Clinpro5000. Food tastes different to him now too. He refers to food as dry or moist and always prefers moist food so sauces and condiments are very important to him. Good luck!

Maureen

Maureen038
              Participant

My husband was on the Ipi/Nivo trial and was taken off a year and half ago and since then he has dealt with dry mouth. He has had two cavities since the trial. His dentist says the lack of salvia can do that. He uses biotin, sugarless candies and a special toothpaste from the dentist called Clinpro5000. Food tastes different to him now too. He refers to food as dry or moist and always prefers moist food so sauces and condiments are very important to him. Good luck!

Maureen

Maureen038
                Participant

Maureen

Casitas1
                Participant

Best, Paul

Casitas1
                  Participant

Best, Paul

MoiraM
                    Participant

I did have a dip in the condiition of my teeth. However, goodness knows if it is directly or indirectly a side effect of the Ipi I was treated with.

Ipi and Keytruda stimulate the immune system, which means that many of the side effects are due to unanticipated autoimmune effects.

In my case that is a permanently damaged anterior pituitary gland, My body now feels and functions very differently, Is symptom B (of A through E) a direct side effect of the Ipi? Is it a secondary side effect of the lack of pituitary gland function, which means that lots of my other glands don't work either?

I did have low vitamin D levels. Again, tracking down the cause is probably beyond me or my doctors.That could have meant a calcium deficiency that could have last 3 months (the time between blood tests).

Or maybe I was just less careful with my dental hygiene while riding the rollercoaster of melanoma!

phancaopatrick001
                        Participant

At the Asset Protection & Elder Law Center, we are committed to representing our clients with integrity, hard work, and highly personal legal counsel. We strive to make sure you understand your options by explaining complex legal matters in real English, not “Legalese.”

phancaopatrick001
                          Participant

At the Asset Protection & Elder Law Center, we are committed to representing our clients with integrity, hard work, and highly personal legal counsel. We strive to make sure you understand your options by explaining complex legal matters in real English, not “Legalese.”

phancaopatrick001
                            Participant

MoiraM
                            Participant

I did have a dip in the condiition of my teeth. However, goodness knows if it is directly or indirectly a side effect of the Ipi I was treated with.

Ipi and Keytruda stimulate the immune system, which means that many of the side effects are due to unanticipated autoimmune effects.

In my case that is a permanently damaged anterior pituitary gland, My body now feels and functions very differently, Is symptom B (of A through E) a direct side effect of the Ipi? Is it a secondary side effect of the lack of pituitary gland function, which means that lots of my other glands don't work either?

I did have low vitamin D levels. Again, tracking down the cause is probably beyond me or my doctors.That could have meant a calcium deficiency that could have last 3 months (the time between blood tests).

Or maybe I was just less careful with my dental hygiene while riding the rollercoaster of melanoma!

MoiraM
                              Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics