The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Is it only in Spokane??

Forums General Melanoma Community Is it only in Spokane??

Participant

I am heartsick this morning to read of ANOTHER child killed by the mother's boyfriend in my fair city. It seems like since I moved here in 1971, just..one man after another has beaten a child to death. It happens here so often that it just fills me with despair instead of anger now. I wonder if it's the water, or if it just happens everywhere.

I am heartsick this morning to read of ANOTHER child killed by the mother's boyfriend in my fair city. It seems like since I moved here in 1971, just..one man after another has beaten a child to death. It happens here so often that it just fills me with despair instead of anger now. I wonder if it's the water, or if it just happens everywhere.

Spokane is a relatively small place. I mean.. I grew up in Los Angelos county. Maybe back then, I was just too young to pay attention to the news, so I didn't notice that men were beating kids to death in LA too, but here..it's always front page news. It's not always MEN mind you.. a couple of years ago, a woman killed her one of her kids, insanely, stabbing her in the car, and almost killing a second one and stabbing herself. But.. with her..well..she was nuts, as is so often the case. With the guys..it's always some stupid idiot who gets mad that the kid is crying or something and kills them by accident. I blame the dumbassed women who leave their kids in the care of these gusy too.

Last night, this fellow, james cooley, was arrested for beating a one year old to death. His five yr old brother is also injured, but the part that makes me want to VOMIT is that this guy already has a PENDING case in the courts for shaking a 6 month old baby and causing it to go blind.

It's sickening

Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Replies
        jag
        Participant

Well, if they are not from the same pride(genetically related to the male) this happens quite frequently with lions)-don't forget the Sigfried and Roy incident Sigried was related, Roy wasn't.

dian in spokane
            Participant

oh john…that's a TERRIBLE video!

jag
              Participant

what? it is all a part of nature, you should see the one where the golden eagle snatches up a lamb, drops it off of a cliff and then goes down to have a nice snack.  Young elephants exhibit gang like behaviour when the elderly males(Tuskers) in the herd are killed off by hunters.  They go around harass assault  the poor innocent Rhino  and Female elephants (cows) of all things who also eats innocent creatures.  something that never happens when the adults Males (Tuskers) are around.  Wild animals aren't cuddly little cartoon like creatures, the word WILD isn't referring to a good time in college people have had smoking the reefer.  

jag
                Participant

what? it is all a part of nature, you should see the one where the golden eagle snatches up a lamb, drops it off of a cliff and then goes down to have a nice snack.  Young elephants exhibit gang like behaviour when the elderly males(Tuskers) in the herd are killed off by hunters.  They go around harass assault  the poor innocent Rhino  and Female elephants (cows) of all things who also eats innocent creatures.  something that never happens when the adults Males (Tuskers) are around.  Wild animals aren't cuddly little cartoon like creatures, the word WILD isn't referring to a good time in college people have had smoking the reefer.  

dian in spokane
                  Participant

oh john…that's a TERRIBLE video!

jag
                  Participant

Well, if they are not from the same pride(genetically related to the male) this happens quite frequently with lions)-don't forget the Sigfried and Roy incident Sigried was related, Roy wasn't.

LizzM
                    Participant

DIan, it happens here in GA a lot, too. Usually the child is brought to the ER by the mother and her boyfriend and they have "no idea" what happened. Then after the child is pronounced dead the real story starts to unfold after a few lies are told first. It mostly boils down to the baby's mother is working and the sorry boyfriend is supposed to be babysitting and he gets mad because the child is crying or the child spilled something or the child had an accident so he shakes the child or hits the child. Of course, he never meant to hurt the child. It is so sickening!! And many times, the child's mother defends her boyfriend until the bitter end. How in the world can she defend the scum who just killed her child?

~~Liz

LizzM
                      Participant

DIan, it happens here in GA a lot, too. Usually the child is brought to the ER by the mother and her boyfriend and they have "no idea" what happened. Then after the child is pronounced dead the real story starts to unfold after a few lies are told first. It mostly boils down to the baby's mother is working and the sorry boyfriend is supposed to be babysitting and he gets mad because the child is crying or the child spilled something or the child had an accident so he shakes the child or hits the child. Of course, he never meant to hurt the child. It is so sickening!! And many times, the child's mother defends her boyfriend until the bitter end. How in the world can she defend the scum who just killed her child?

~~Liz

jackiewin
                        Participant

No Dian, it is not only in Spokane.  Here in El Paso and in Las Cruces we get a few of those deaths each year.  The last one in Las Cruces was a 5 month old baby girl named Briana.  She had broken bones, bite marks all over and was sexually assaulted.  Her mother was a part of it.  I sometimes wish that some crimes, like this one, could have torture as a punishment.

Jackie W

jackiewin
                          Participant

No Dian, it is not only in Spokane.  Here in El Paso and in Las Cruces we get a few of those deaths each year.  The last one in Las Cruces was a 5 month old baby girl named Briana.  She had broken bones, bite marks all over and was sexually assaulted.  Her mother was a part of it.  I sometimes wish that some crimes, like this one, could have torture as a punishment.

Jackie W

TinaR
                            Participant

I don't have words and I can't even think about it another second or my head will explode.

TinaR
                              Participant

I don't have words and I can't even think about it another second or my head will explode.

DebbieH
                                Participant

Oh dian, that is heartbreaking, it always is.  It happens everywhere, sadly. 

There was a woman who used to write a column in the Detroit News, years ago, a black woman who always came down hard on other women raised the same as her – not much money, in the mean streets of Detroit, and I remember her saying that the most dangerous time in the life of a child in Detroit was the day her mother brough home a new boyfriend.  She pleaded with women to take greater care of the children who depended on them to NOT let these men they hardly knew move in with them.  This came at a time of a nearly daily cycle of children being beaten at the hands of these men, sometimes because they were crying, sometimes because they interrupted some sports game, sometimes because they were too damn stupid to know that shaking a child or hitting them is not like hitting an adult.  It makes me sick.  And don't get me started on the people, man or woman, who kill their children and THEN try to kill themselves.  Why don't they do the right thing in the first place and kill themselves FIRST.  I hope the man you're talking about spends the rest of his life in prison and lives a very very long miserable life.

Deb

dian in spokane
                                    Participant

more has come out about this man tonight. He is only 22, still a CHILD Himself in my book, but he's got a long criminal history with violence even against his own sister.

awful

dian in spokane
                                      Participant

more has come out about this man tonight. He is only 22, still a CHILD Himself in my book, but he's got a long criminal history with violence even against his own sister.

awful

DebbieH
                                      Participant

Oh dian, that is heartbreaking, it always is.  It happens everywhere, sadly. 

There was a woman who used to write a column in the Detroit News, years ago, a black woman who always came down hard on other women raised the same as her – not much money, in the mean streets of Detroit, and I remember her saying that the most dangerous time in the life of a child in Detroit was the day her mother brough home a new boyfriend.  She pleaded with women to take greater care of the children who depended on them to NOT let these men they hardly knew move in with them.  This came at a time of a nearly daily cycle of children being beaten at the hands of these men, sometimes because they were crying, sometimes because they interrupted some sports game, sometimes because they were too damn stupid to know that shaking a child or hitting them is not like hitting an adult.  It makes me sick.  And don't get me started on the people, man or woman, who kill their children and THEN try to kill themselves.  Why don't they do the right thing in the first place and kill themselves FIRST.  I hope the man you're talking about spends the rest of his life in prison and lives a very very long miserable life.

Deb

JMart
                                        Participant

I recently sat on a grand jury that indicted a mother for the death of her two-year old. She beat this child to death and she and the husband tried to clean up some of the evidence BEFORE they sought help for this poor child. It was very, very difficult to review all the evidence that was presented to us by the district attorney handling this case.

The mother was a drug and alcohol abuser and had 5 other children removed from her home in a neigboring state.  She moved to OUR state to get a fresh start and began abusing this child.  Horrible to say the least….and she's pregnant again.  Will give birth in jail to this one.

My grand jury service over three months taught me that drugs are behind most of the felonies that are litigated in the Superior Court system. 

JMart
                                          Participant

I recently sat on a grand jury that indicted a mother for the death of her two-year old. She beat this child to death and she and the husband tried to clean up some of the evidence BEFORE they sought help for this poor child. It was very, very difficult to review all the evidence that was presented to us by the district attorney handling this case.

The mother was a drug and alcohol abuser and had 5 other children removed from her home in a neigboring state.  She moved to OUR state to get a fresh start and began abusing this child.  Horrible to say the least….and she's pregnant again.  Will give birth in jail to this one.

My grand jury service over three months taught me that drugs are behind most of the felonies that are litigated in the Superior Court system. 

Yawn
                                            Participant

sickening and sad

Yawn
                                              Participant

sickening and sad

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics