The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

IPI starts TOMORROW for the first time

Forums General Melanoma Community IPI starts TOMORROW for the first time

Participant

Thank you all for your advice and best wishes. Thurs. I start IPI for first round. Have stage III mela. and spreading. Newest tumor on vein and nerve cells. Had 4 prev. operations but now time for systemic help. ANY HELP FOR DEALING WITH TREATMENT, ETC GLADLY WILL BE READ.

Thank you all for your advice and best wishes. Thurs. I start IPI for first round. Have stage III mela. and spreading. Newest tumor on vein and nerve cells. Had 4 prev. operations but now time for systemic help. ANY HELP FOR DEALING WITH TREATMENT, ETC GLADLY WILL BE READ.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jmmm
        Participant

My husband completed his last ipi treatment at the beginning of July.  He really didn't have too many side effects.  Some stomach cramping (very mild), and a rash on his legs.  They scare you to death with all the possible side effects, but I guess they have to do that.  He was fairly tired throughout the treatments and a "bit forgetful:)"   I know some people have rough side effects, but he didn't.  Be aware of OTC meds that you take–we had to call each time to see if it was OK.  His dr. was leary of any meds that were tough on the liver–Aleve and Motrin (maybe it was Tylenol, I don't remember)  being the biggest ones to us (since he gets frequent headaches–not from the ipi, just in general).  The nurse called each week to see how he was feeling, but we never had much to report.  Good luck! 

j.m.l.
            Participant

thank you very much for the promising info. Good luck to you and I hope I am as fortunate.

j.m.l.
              Participant

thank you very much for the promising info. Good luck to you and I hope I am as fortunate.

jmmm
              Participant

My husband completed his last ipi treatment at the beginning of July.  He really didn't have too many side effects.  Some stomach cramping (very mild), and a rash on his legs.  They scare you to death with all the possible side effects, but I guess they have to do that.  He was fairly tired throughout the treatments and a "bit forgetful:)"   I know some people have rough side effects, but he didn't.  Be aware of OTC meds that you take–we had to call each time to see if it was OK.  His dr. was leary of any meds that were tough on the liver–Aleve and Motrin (maybe it was Tylenol, I don't remember)  being the biggest ones to us (since he gets frequent headaches–not from the ipi, just in general).  The nurse called each week to see how he was feeling, but we never had much to report.  Good luck! 

AlanM
                Participant

For me it is one week after the second dose of ipi. To date only have had stomach cramps and a general feeling of tiredness. The important thing is to keep an open line of communication with your oncologist's nurse and to call if anything odd comes up. They seem to want to know sooner than later. Good luck with your treatment!

Alan

Lisa13
                    Participant

I get my 3rd infusion in a week and havn't had any symtoms except for tiredness (which started 1-2 weeks after 2nd infusion) and a small rash on my chest.  My hair is also thinning out in the back and very dry.

In the compassionate use clinical trial I'm in, the list of symptoms was frightening, but they have to mention everything and anything that could possible happen, even if it's a 1% chance.  I've had more "symptoms" from ipi than I did with chemo (dacarbazine).

Best of luck to you.

Lisa

Lisa13
                      Participant

I get my 3rd infusion in a week and havn't had any symtoms except for tiredness (which started 1-2 weeks after 2nd infusion) and a small rash on my chest.  My hair is also thinning out in the back and very dry.

In the compassionate use clinical trial I'm in, the list of symptoms was frightening, but they have to mention everything and anything that could possible happen, even if it's a 1% chance.  I've had more "symptoms" from ipi than I did with chemo (dacarbazine).

Best of luck to you.

Lisa

AlanM
                      Participant

For me it is one week after the second dose of ipi. To date only have had stomach cramps and a general feeling of tiredness. The important thing is to keep an open line of communication with your oncologist's nurse and to call if anything odd comes up. They seem to want to know sooner than later. Good luck with your treatment!

Alan

devonfh
                        Participant

I am a caregiver for someone with stage 4 melanoma, he has had two doses of ipi.  Very bad side effects.  Extended bowel – had to have a colonoscopy. Had a blood clot in leg from knee to illiac that was removed.  now retains so much fluid, 25+ pounds.  Curious of others side effects.

devonfh
                          Participant

I am a caregiver for someone with stage 4 melanoma, he has had two doses of ipi.  Very bad side effects.  Extended bowel – had to have a colonoscopy. Had a blood clot in leg from knee to illiac that was removed.  now retains so much fluid, 25+ pounds.  Curious of others side effects.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics