The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ipi – NYU v MSKCC

Forums General Melanoma Community Ipi – NYU v MSKCC

Participant

Hello all

I am about to start Ipi and currently a patient at MSK. I am not happy there (long story) and have a second opinion at NYU.

It seems to me that the most important issue is how repsonsive the nursing staff is answering questions and worries 24/7.

Two questions: do you agree that is the most important issue?

If you have had experience with NYU or MSK with Ipi, or another drug that involved constant contact with the nursing team, do you have an opinion on their responsiveness?

Thanks

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        SABKLYN
        Participant

I think it Really depends on your comfort as a patient.  If MSKCC is not providing what you consider to be an acceptable level of care/concern, etc., you should look to other care providers.  I started my journey at Emory but was much more comfortable at MSKCC.   The standard of care and visibility of clinical trial opportunities is likely not  going to bed dramatically different.  I really value they are I have received on an In and out patient setting at MSKCC.  If i did not felt his way , I would, as you are, look for other alternatives

SABKLYN
          Participant

I think it Really depends on your comfort as a patient.  If MSKCC is not providing what you consider to be an acceptable level of care/concern, etc., you should look to other care providers.  I started my journey at Emory but was much more comfortable at MSKCC.   The standard of care and visibility of clinical trial opportunities is likely not  going to bed dramatically different.  I really value they are I have received on an In and out patient setting at MSKCC.  If i did not felt his way , I would, as you are, look for other alternatives

SABKLYN
            Participant

hbecker
              Participant

I can't offer anything about NYU vs. MSKCC – but they are both fine institutions with excellent docs, so I'm guessing you can't go wrong either way, as far as the treatment approach is concerned. What's really important, though, is your comfort level with the people you interact with whenever you call or go in for treatment. If you are  not happy with the responsiveness of the staff at MSK, I think you're right to switch to NYU.

Good luck – and keep us posted please!

~Hazel

wolkies
                  Participant

I can't speak to MSKCC but I can give you my opinion on NYU cancer center.  I've been a patient of Dr. pavlick for the last 9 years.  I cannot say enough positive things about my experience; it is a top notch institution .

NYU prides itself on patient care and it shows.

Sharon

Stage iib, NED since July 2004

phase I clinical trial since 2005

wolkies
                    Participant

I can't speak to MSKCC but I can give you my opinion on NYU cancer center.  I've been a patient of Dr. pavlick for the last 9 years.  I cannot say enough positive things about my experience; it is a top notch institution .

Sharon

wolkies
                      Participant

Sharon

hbecker
                      Participant

I can't offer anything about NYU vs. MSKCC – but they are both fine institutions with excellent docs, so I'm guessing you can't go wrong either way, as far as the treatment approach is concerned. What's really important, though, is your comfort level with the people you interact with whenever you call or go in for treatment. If you are  not happy with the responsiveness of the staff at MSK, I think you're right to switch to NYU.

~Hazel

hbecker
                        Participant

~Hazel

aldakota22
                          Participant

Been to  MSK for an investigation of being in a  trial for using both "Z" & Yervoy in Sept of 2011. After having "Z" in my hands and told not to use  before visit for almost 3weeks that there is no trial with both drugs.Talking to me like I was crazy fo not using"Z" immediately when I got It.My oncologist must have lied to me cause  MSKs doc never talked to him about any dual treatment trial.At MSK feel more like a stat than a needing desperate patient.No real bedside manners.NYU is completely different .Have a issue that was reported to my doc Anna Pavlick on 1/13/14 and had MRI scheduled for morning of the 15th so she can get the results for my visit with her on the 15th in the afternoon.Seem to be a much more caring cancer center with some of the best doctors and medical profeessionals.For me it is NYU. Prayers sent your way.

aldakota

aldakota22
                            Participant

Been to  MSK for an investigation of being in a  trial for using both "Z" & Yervoy in Sept of 2011. After having "Z" in my hands and told not to use  before visit for almost 3weeks that there is no trial with both drugs.Talking to me like I was crazy fo not using"Z" immediately when I got It.My oncologist must have lied to me cause  MSKs doc never talked to him about any dual treatment trial.At MSK feel more like a stat than a needing desperate patient.No real bedside manners.NYU is completely different .Have a issue that was reported to my doc Anna Pavlick on 1/13/14 and had MRI scheduled for morning of the 15th so she can get the results for my visit with her on the 15th in the afternoon.Seem to be a much more caring cancer center with some of the best doctors and medical profeessionals.For me it is NYU. Prayers sent your way.

aldakota

aldakota22
                              Participant

aldakota

Ginseng
                                Participant

Hi,

I received my intitial diagnosis at MSK in 2005. Very shortly thereafter I left for NYU and Dr. Pavick. I have been extremely happy with Dr. P since. I have been through one local recurrance and am now clean for appr. 2 yrs.

At MSK I felt like a slab of meat being lined up to fit into whatever research statistics they were looking to beef up. It was doom and gloom every visit. My oncologist refused to even discuss a treatment that MSK had chosen as an institution not to pursue.

Dr. P is incredible. She has only the patient;s best interest at heart. She is knowledgeble up to the minute with th latest Melanoma developments. Dr. P discusses every tretment option and discusses in detail why she recomends one over the other in each case.

The nursing t NYU is equally impressive. I have called with issues and been immediately put in the schedule for an appointment- the next morning.The entire staff treats every patient inquiry as priority one. I found out after my recent issue that the nursing staff was on the phone with Dr. P in her car working through my concerns.

The office staff is fantastic as well. After my initial referral. I have not once had to get involved in terms of referal requests, scan scheduling…anything.

Hoe this helps! I wish you the best in your treatment!

Sue (Stage 3)

Ginseng
                                  Participant

Hi,

I received my intitial diagnosis at MSK in 2005. Very shortly thereafter I left for NYU and Dr. Pavick. I have been extremely happy with Dr. P since. I have been through one local recurrance and am now clean for appr. 2 yrs.

At MSK I felt like a slab of meat being lined up to fit into whatever research statistics they were looking to beef up. It was doom and gloom every visit. My oncologist refused to even discuss a treatment that MSK had chosen as an institution not to pursue.

Dr. P is incredible. She has only the patient;s best interest at heart. She is knowledgeble up to the minute with th latest Melanoma developments. Dr. P discusses every tretment option and discusses in detail why she recomends one over the other in each case.

The nursing t NYU is equally impressive. I have called with issues and been immediately put in the schedule for an appointment- the next morning.The entire staff treats every patient inquiry as priority one. I found out after my recent issue that the nursing staff was on the phone with Dr. P in her car working through my concerns.

The office staff is fantastic as well. After my initial referral. I have not once had to get involved in terms of referal requests, scan scheduling…anything.

Sue (Stage 3)

NYKaren
                                      Participant

Hi, I was a long-time patient at MSKCC and can't say enough good things about Drs. Wolchok & Halpern. Dr. Wolchok sent me to NYU when the phase I PD1 trial we were hoping to get me into abruptly halted. He called me himself to recommend Dr. Pavlick. I love her and her staff. She came to see me several times when I was hospitalized for brain met seizures.   Dr. W also saw me when I was admitted thru urgent care for complications of Ipi & he was great. 

In short, I love both doctors and have had to wait at both hospitals. Had very long waits for Ipi @ sloan, but only had it there so can't compare that.     This probably doesn't help you one bit!

good luck!  

Karen

NYKaren
                                        Participant

Hi, I was a long-time patient at MSKCC and can't say enough good things about Drs. Wolchok & Halpern. Dr. Wolchok sent me to NYU when the phase I PD1 trial we were hoping to get me into abruptly halted. He called me himself to recommend Dr. Pavlick. I love her and her staff. She came to see me several times when I was hospitalized for brain met seizures.   Dr. W also saw me when I was admitted thru urgent care for complications of Ipi & he was great. 

In short, I love both doctors and have had to wait at both hospitals. Had very long waits for Ipi @ sloan, but only had it there so can't compare that.     This probably doesn't help you one bit!

good luck!  

Karen

NYKaren
                                          Participant

good luck!  

Karen

Ginseng
                                          Participant

Hi,

Sue (Stage 3)

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics