The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ipi/Nivo – side effects

Forums General Melanoma Community Ipi/Nivo – side effects

Participant
      Hello All,

Grandma had her second infusion Monday. Today she has begun having the runs last night. She also has a rash (which they are treating with topical cream).

They have started her on Predisone 20mg, 3x a day and plan to have her on 10mg in a few days.

Someone tell me that this will not reverse the effects of the Immunotherpy.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        MelMel
        Participant
          I had to stop after my 2nd infusion due to high liver enzymes and I was on 160 mg of prednisone plus 2000 mg of Cellcept (a tissue rejection drug but also a steroid) for almost 3 months (including tapering). I had 50 % tumor reduction at 2 months post starting infusions and 30 % at 4 months post infusions. You will not necessarily get a reversal of immunotherapy but depending on how long one is on steroids, you may get eventual slowing down of tumor shrinkage. Since then, I have resumed biweekly infusions of Opdivo. Hopefully, the steroids work on settling her intestinal issues soon and she can resume her treatment even on Opdivo alone. As you are probably already aware, many patients have great success even if they get only 2 or 3 out of the 4 dual drug infusions. Rash is also very common and many people remain on small doses of prednisone while continuing infusions.
          Wishing your grandma a speedy recovery.
          Melanie
          Bubbles
          Participant
            As far back as 2015 researchers have noted that patients with significant side effects from immunotherapy SHOULD be treated with steroids if necessary and those patients can still gain a positive effect from their treatment. Here is one such article: http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/08/immune-related-side-effects-from.html It states specifically: ” Practitioners and patients should be prepared to treat irAEs and should understand that such treatment does not affect OS or TTF.”

More recently there is this: http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2017/03/patients-with-preexisting-immune.html This is a report specifically noting that folks with pre-existing autoimmune disease, who are more at risk for side effects from immunotherapy, can be safely given said immunotherapy and even if they must be maintained on steroids and similar drugs in order to tolerate it they STILL have positive responses to immunotherapy. Noting: ” All flares of preexisting autoimmune disorders or irAE were managed by immunosuppressive and/or symptomatic therapy and did not require termination of PD-1i therapy. tumour responses (32% in group A and 45% in group B) were unrelated to occurrence of autoimmunity.”

Hope that you find this reassuring. Wishing you and your grandmother my best. celeste

MelanomaMike
            Participant
              Hello naSullivan, bless your Grandmas heart! Shes doing an awesome drug ipi/nivo combo and it will work great for her!! But, no good deed goes unpunished, immunal drugs comes with side effects (which you learned before hand) sounds like so far, hers are mild! Yaaay! (But doesnt seem so mild to her im sure!!) I understand your question and concern of a Steroid while on immunal therapies, both drugs “on paper” work opposite of eachother, Predisone slows down ones immune system, while ipi, nivo or anyother immunal drug tend to “Rev” up our immune system (a contraindiction of sorts) but, as Bubbles and others plus medical data have expressed, theres a happy medium between the 2 drugs, and your grandmas therapy will continue to work for her as long as monitoring & dosage is adjusted overtime with the steroids…..keep us posted!!
          Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics