The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

IPI/Nivo side effects – Prednisone yes or no ?

Forums General Melanoma Community IPI/Nivo side effects – Prednisone yes or no ?

Participant
      Back here again as I see my mom struggling everyday since she started the combo. As I have been asking folks about their experiences about jaw aches , temporal and facial aches.
      her doc prescribed her prednisone. She is prescribed 10mg daily. prednisone gives her energy to get herself out of bed but the jaw numbness stays.

Without the prednisone she cant get out of the bed. I have searched this forum to get information but I feel i get mixed responses.
      How does prednisone impacts the combo drugs ? or does it impacts at all ? Should she try to avoid it if possible ? She says I can bear the pain if it helps to get the combo doing what it is supposed to do.
      She doesnt want to interrupt the combo effectiveness with the prednisone.

thanks for reading this patiently and Hope GOD helps us all.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Edwin
        Participant
          I took prednisone to help recover after my first ipi:nivo infusion. I was able to complete all 4 combo infusions. I had melanoma in many bones. Ipi:nivo immunotherapy put my bone cancer into remission.
            sks2019
            Participant
              Thanks Edwin. This is reassuring, we are hoping for the positive outcome.
            mandyjill
            Participant
              I started taking prednisone, 10 mg. per day, after about 6 months on the combo for fatigue and bad joint and bone pain. It helped tremendously. My doctor said it wasn’t enough strength to affect the potency of the cancer drugs. I have been NED for about 2.5 years.
                sks2019
                Participant
                  That’s great mandyjill. Wishing you continued NED status.
                Bubbles
                Participant
                  No one should take meds they don’t need. However, side effects due to immunotherapy often necessitate steroids and other “immunosuppressive” drugs in order for patients to deal with them and continue needed therapy. Data has long shown that side effects can and should be treated. Further, even when steroids are used to do so, patients still respond to therapy – as noted in this report from 2018 (with many links to other reports within….going back to 2015): https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2018/02/for-jubesand-rest-of-us-anti-rheumatic.html

c

sks2019
                    Participant
                      Thanks for responding and links to those articles Celeste ! Now I am just thinking having some common side effects would have made our lives just a little better. Seeing something unexpected just puts me into the worry mode. So grateful for all your collected stats and sharing it , documenting it for the folks here. This is a great service.
                    MelanomaMike
                    Participant
                      Hi sis, a little late to reply here, been feeling “Blah” myself with my own “combo” of incmga00012 & Epacadostat. My only issue i had personally with the Ipi/Nivo combo was 6 days after my very first infuse, my Pituitary gland was country fried, it brought on severe vomiting, headpounding throbs when i got up & down, appetite was ZERO (lost 20lbs in 15 days) i finally got help with Megace (my wife brought some home for me) an appetite stimulant, that alone made me feel better cuz i was Eating again within 48hrs! Once i finally came in for my next bloodwork, it was then they found no Cortisil was being produced and my new Endo doc started me on Hydrocortisone pills, 10mg AM/10mg 3pm been great ever since, i was able to complete the other 3 Yervoys without any side effects…
                  Viewing 3 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics