The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ipi/Nivo first infusion side effects

Forums General Melanoma Community Ipi/Nivo first infusion side effects

Participant

Did my first ipi/nivo  infusion on Friday and I woke up today feeling terrible.

A bit of loose bowel movement and I feel like i got a brick in my stomach and pretty tender around the liver wher i do have quite a few mets.

On top of that I have extreme fatigue.

I have been lying around for hours drifting off into space.

The question i have i guess is should i do anything ?

It seems like these are quite common side effects

I am on 4mg of steroids daily as it is but still i am like a space cadet today.

Any tips or things i should do?

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        BrianP
        Participant

I really didn't experience anything like you are describing and I'm not sure what I would have done if I did.  Doesn't sound too alarming at the time but obviously pay close attention.  Maybe call your oncologist in the morning just to give them an update and see if they have any suggestions.

I personally think the soreness in the liver may be a good sign.  Let's hope so.

Brian

BrianP
          Participant

I really didn't experience anything like you are describing and I'm not sure what I would have done if I did.  Doesn't sound too alarming at the time but obviously pay close attention.  Maybe call your oncologist in the morning just to give them an update and see if they have any suggestions.

I personally think the soreness in the liver may be a good sign.  Let's hope so.

Brian

BrianP
            Participant

Brian

MoiraM
              Participant

Have you had ipi on its own before?

Squash
                  Participant

No I have never had Ipi before but i have had Nivo before and it didnt affect me like what is happening now.

I had a bit of upset stomach with Nivo but no fatigue or anything else much really.

I dont mind a few side effects if i get some shrinkage because i am really running out of time.

MoiraM
                    Participant

I asked about the Ipi because my melanoma consultant told me that side effects to the Ipi are unlikely with the first dose. However, I have no experience of Nivo and the two together might act differently.

I was also told that if I had to take steroids that would not affect the Ipi working if you are a responder – something about different parts of the immune system being affected. I think the steroids depress the B cell response and you are hoping for an elevated T cell response. However someone on here may know more and correct me.

Certainly the Ipi was still working in my system 2 months after my final Ipi treatment and, at that time, I was on 10mg/day prednisolone.

The Ipi side effects can be quite servere, so I recommend keeping your doctor up to date.

Good luck. I will be thinking of you and hoping that you are a responder.

MoiraM
                      Participant

I asked about the Ipi because my melanoma consultant told me that side effects to the Ipi are unlikely with the first dose. However, I have no experience of Nivo and the two together might act differently.

I was also told that if I had to take steroids that would not affect the Ipi working if you are a responder – something about different parts of the immune system being affected. I think the steroids depress the B cell response and you are hoping for an elevated T cell response. However someone on here may know more and correct me.

Certainly the Ipi was still working in my system 2 months after my final Ipi treatment and, at that time, I was on 10mg/day prednisolone.

The Ipi side effects can be quite servere, so I recommend keeping your doctor up to date.

MoiraM
                        Participant

Squash
                          Participant

No I have never had Ipi before but i have had Nivo before and it didnt affect me like what is happening now.

I had a bit of upset stomach with Nivo but no fatigue or anything else much really.

I dont mind a few side effects if i get some shrinkage because i am really running out of time.

Squash
                            Participant

MoiraM
                            Participant

MoiraM
                              Participant

Issy
                                Participant

Hi

Sorry you are  not feeling well.  My brother is on the same treatment and had his first infusion last week.

I saw that you said you were on steroids, check with your doctor, we were told NO steriods during this treatment. Maybe someone else reading can offer some info on that as well.

Just wanted to let you know what we were told.

All the best ! 

Issy

Squash
                                    Participant

I have to take steroids as the risk of inflammation to my neck is too great.

I am doing raditaiton concurrently on the neck.

It might reduce the effectiveness somewhat but i am on a very low steroid dosage.

Squash
                                      Participant

It might reduce the effectiveness somewhat but i am on a very low steroid dosage.

Squash
                                        Participant

BrianP
                                          Participant

The trial I was on allowed 10 mg of predinsone (steriods) while taking Nivo.  Not sure if that is standard for those not in a trial but I know you can take some.  I think some doctors have concerns the steriods will run counter to what the immunotherapy treatment is trying to do but I believe there have been studies that show it has little to no impact on treatment benefits.

Brian

BrianP
                                            Participant

The trial I was on allowed 10 mg of predinsone (steriods) while taking Nivo.  Not sure if that is standard for those not in a trial but I know you can take some.  I think some doctors have concerns the steriods will run counter to what the immunotherapy treatment is trying to do but I believe there have been studies that show it has little to no impact on treatment benefits.

Brian

BrianP
                                              Participant

Brian

Issy
                                              Participant

Hi

Sorry you are  not feeling well.  My brother is on the same treatment and had his first infusion last week.

I saw that you said you were on steroids, check with your doctor, we were told NO steriods during this treatment. Maybe someone else reading can offer some info on that as well.

All the best ! 

Issy

Issy
                                                Participant

Hi

All the best ! 

Issy

Maria C
                                                  Participant

Hi there – it's my understanding that side effects from ipi/nivo is a good sign, as more responders have had side effects than not. But close communication with your oncologist is key to managing the side effects, which can be highly toxic and even debilitating for some. Early and close communication with your doctor reporting any new signs is important in managing the side effects before they get out of hand.

Sorry you are feeling "off" but have faith this may be a positive sign!

Maria C
                                                    Participant

Hi there – it's my understanding that side effects from ipi/nivo is a good sign, as more responders have had side effects than not. But close communication with your oncologist is key to managing the side effects, which can be highly toxic and even debilitating for some. Early and close communication with your doctor reporting any new signs is important in managing the side effects before they get out of hand.

Squash
                                                        Participant

Thank you Maria i am hoping and praying that is the case.

I got up this morning and basically went back to sleep again.

Extreme fatigue is how i would describe it along with gasto/stomach/bowel issues.

I never had any fatigue on the Nivo alonge.

Thanks for all the input.

Squash
                                                          Participant

Extreme fatigue is how i would describe it along with gasto/stomach/bowel issues.

Squash
                                                            Participant

Maria C
                                                            Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics