The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

ipi, BRAF, foot issues

Forums General Melanoma Community ipi, BRAF, foot issues

Participant

Hi y'all,

Has anyone had a side effect from either ipi (Yervoy) or BRAF (Zelboraf) for the following?

The ball of my foot is terribly painful. Feels swollen, hurts to walk, etc.

The heel of my OTHER foot is also very painful, swollen, and this now is moving up my entire foot to include the ball of my foot.

It feels as if I'm walking on rocks or hard ball bearings. I do have a call in to my podiatrist, but have never had an issue like this before.  The heel has been a problem previously, but only the heel.

Hi y'all,

Has anyone had a side effect from either ipi (Yervoy) or BRAF (Zelboraf) for the following?

The ball of my foot is terribly painful. Feels swollen, hurts to walk, etc.

The heel of my OTHER foot is also very painful, swollen, and this now is moving up my entire foot to include the ball of my foot.

It feels as if I'm walking on rocks or hard ball bearings. I do have a call in to my podiatrist, but have never had an issue like this before.  The heel has been a problem previously, but only the heel.

Of course, it could be because I'm getting old and crunchy. MY 48th birthday is November 1st, and I will gladly take sore feet over major melanoma flairups ANY DAY. I'm happy to be able to walk, work, see my next birthday, etc.   🙂

Thanks, wishing everyone a wonderful weekend.

TracyLee

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

TracyLee, I have been reading about side effects of both drugs and feel that this is
          probably caused by Yervoy.

From: http://www.yervoy.com/patient.aspx "… inflammation of the skin that can lead to
          severe skin reaction (toxic epidermal necrolysis) … side effects can show up months
          after your last infusion."

However, Zelboraf can also cause pain in extremities. See:
          http://www.drugs.com/sfx/zelboraf-side-effects.html

I don't know what you can do about the foot pain, apart from taking it easy and
          consulting your oncologist.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
          Participant

TracyLee, I have been reading about side effects of both drugs and feel that this is
            probably caused by Yervoy.

From: http://www.yervoy.com/patient.aspx "… inflammation of the skin that can lead to
            severe skin reaction (toxic epidermal necrolysis) … side effects can show up months
            after your last infusion."

However, Zelboraf can also cause pain in extremities. See:
            http://www.drugs.com/sfx/zelboraf-side-effects.html

I don't know what you can do about the foot pain, apart from taking it easy and
            consulting your oncologist.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Frank from Australia

Richard_K
            Participant
              TracyLee
              I have never been on Yervoy but have been and still on Zelboraf since March 2010. I have had foot issues for over a year, first described as having ‘rumpled socks’. That feeling got worse and there was some swelling. Swelling eventually got guite bad and I ended up taking Gabapentin, then Aleve, and now Tylenol as needed. Still have some swelling and some discomfort. Oh yea, went to a podiatrist to no avail. My Onc said it was a known side effect.
              Dick
              Richard_K
              Participant
                TracyLee
                I have never been on Yervoy but have been and still on Zelboraf since March 2010. I have had foot issues for over a year, first described as having ‘rumpled socks’. That feeling got worse and there was some swelling. Swelling eventually got guite bad and I ended up taking Gabapentin, then Aleve, and now Tylenol as needed. Still have some swelling and some discomfort. Oh yea, went to a podiatrist to no avail. My Onc said it was a known side effect.
                Dick
                lhaley
                Participant

Tracey,

Nic has posted in the past that she had side effects from the braf drug that were causing her great pain to walk.  Hers was move of the burning. They did give her a drug for nerve pain and it really helped.  

Linda

lhaley
                  Participant

Tracey,

Nic has posted in the past that she had side effects from the braf drug that were causing her great pain to walk.  Hers was move of the burning. They did give her a drug for nerve pain and it really helped.  

Linda

emilypen
                    Participant

Hi,

My husband had exactly the same side effect when on the BRAF drug. Aleve helped alot!

That and resting with his feet up.

It never went fully away until he was off the drug but Aleve helped manage it.

Em

TracyLee
                        Participant

Emily,

Thank you! Worth knowing what over the counter will work, and from other posts, that it won't help to shuffle to the podiatrist.

I'll take painful feet over the melanoma…and I'll stay on BRAF as long as I can!

Thanks!

TracyLee

boot2aboot
                          Participant

Yes Tracy, i have a painful instep…and it feels like someone hung me upside down and took a baseball bat to the bottom of my right foot…and also both knees…i am taking zelboraf and have been taking neurontin for a long while

boots

boot2aboot
                            Participant

Yes Tracy, i have a painful instep…and it feels like someone hung me upside down and took a baseball bat to the bottom of my right foot…and also both knees…i am taking zelboraf and have been taking neurontin for a long while

boots

TracyLee
                              Participant

Emily,

Thank you! Worth knowing what over the counter will work, and from other posts, that it won't help to shuffle to the podiatrist.

I'll take painful feet over the melanoma…and I'll stay on BRAF as long as I can!

Thanks!

TracyLee

emilypen
                              Participant

Hi,

My husband had exactly the same side effect when on the BRAF drug. Aleve helped alot!

That and resting with his feet up.

It never went fully away until he was off the drug but Aleve helped manage it.

Em

Viewing 7 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics