The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ip/nivo link to Arthritis

Forums General Melanoma Community Ip/nivo link to Arthritis

Participant
      Hi brothers & sisters, just read an interesting “finding” on the the John Hopkins medical website talking about the correlation between Opdivo & Yervoy (and other combo recipes) linking to Inflammatory Arthritis , knees, joints etc. Sure makes sense with me, my knees have always been excellent till i started the combo. JHopkins studies are limited but, findings are growing in leaps & bounds & hopefully drug makers can do a little tweaking!!…Mike
    Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Replies
        Julie in SoCal
        Participant

Yea, there's a bunch of us who have proved this.  Yikes!

I'm with you Mike!  Sure hope they can find a way to keep melanoma down without causing any more problems!

Shalom,

Julie

Raco
          Participant

Thanks for the info Mike,  I had my 11th out of 26 Opdivo treatments yesterday and I told the Dr about having the knee hip, back, shoulder and wrist pain that was real bad last Saturday. He said that my symptions were not the norm but less common. He suggested I start with Advil ????

But for the past two months, my main issue is the hips and knees, when I rise from a chair, I have to take a few small steps before I can start walking normal but I still get the pain.  I hope John Hopkins finds something.

If you hear anymore news please share.  Take care had will you will

Raco

Raco
            Participant

Thanks for the info Mike,  I had my 11th out of 26 Opdivo treatments yesterday and I told the Dr about having the knee hip, back, shoulder and wrist pain that was real bad last Saturday. He said that my symptions were not the norm but less common. He suggested I start with Advil ????

But for the past two months, my main issue is the hips and knees, when I rise from a chair, I have to take a few small steps before I can start walking normal but I still get the pain.  I hope John Hopkins finds something.

If you hear anymore news please share.  Take care and wish you will.

Raco

Mat.in.Brooklyn
              Participant

Hi Mike.

Yeah, I have the same, lower back, hips, knees, ankles. Dr. Weber at NYU told me that's the "dirty little secret" and it will get better after treatment. He told me to take Advil, which surprised me, but I have to admit it has helped somewhat-when I remember to take it.  I feel like i'm getting enough drugs in my system, reluctant to take more.

Mat
                Participant

Yes, add me to the ipi-nivo-induced arthritis club.  

valuad
                  Participant

Yup, Mike; for me it moves from the knees to the feet, back to the knees – and now it has struck my fingers. I can only describe pain as akin to gout [which I have always been prone to]. During most recent consult with the oncologist he suggested going on 10mg prednisolone/day for a week. Unfortunately did not work as hoped so am back to Naproxen – which does take the edge off the swelling/pain.. Aaaah, onwards!

MelanomaMike
                      Participant
                        Yes! Naproxen (or Naperson) works fab to, iv recently started taking it again, i stopped taking it after my 1st infusion of Ipi/Nivo when i had my “initiation” to it, i told you all, a week & a half of pure hell, vomiting, no appitite headaches etc and the Naproxen was to acidic for me cuz i wasnt eating, it would make me throw up right away! So, that was many moons ago & iv recently tried it and was fine, i was just fearful cuz of that episode & never took it since til now…Advils work great, my Hydrocortisones help as well and Coffee!…Mike
                        Raco
                        Participant

Mike whats the diff between advil and motrin 800 ? and how much advil do you take,  My hips and knees kill me everytime I get up. Once up I walk it out only keep some pain.

Man I hate this feeling, hips and knees and other parts never hurt before Opdivo I hope like other symptioons, they last for a few weeks and go away.

Raco

MelanomaMike
                          Participant
                            Oh shoot Raco! Sorry i missed your post/question! Ok, when i first wake up i take “3” 200mg Advils plus my 10mg Hydrocortisone and pound down roughly 3 to 4 cups a coffee! Ya, Motrin is the same (Ibuprofin) its the milligrams (strength) and quantity taken is the thing, you will hone in on yer key Pain Management! Iv recently started back with Naproxin 500mg ill just take ONE versus 3 Advils, same thing Ibuprofin…these pains get CRAZY! its not muscle pain its Bone or Nerve pain!..take care brother Raco!
                            Raco
                            Participant

Thanks for info. It’s really strange but it seems the first week after my opdivo treatment I’m ok except for upset stomach on an off but the start of the second week or start hurting, bone and muscle pain some days just in hips and knees that my whole body. First time it happened I thought I came down with the flu.    As long as I getting symptoms I feel the meds are working

miaka618
                            Participant
                              I believe it. I only had one dose of ipi and my knees were killing me. All better now.
                          Viewing 6 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics