The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Interleukin-21 Phase I and II trials.

Forums General Melanoma Community Interleukin-21 Phase I and II trials.

Participant

Good afternoon everyone.

I would like to point out that IL-2 and IL-21 are not the same. Interleukin21 is a protein that in humans is encoded by the IL21 gene and is a experimental drug which is currently in clinical trials.

Good afternoon everyone.

I would like to point out that IL-2 and IL-21 are not the same. Interleukin21 is a protein that in humans is encoded by the IL21 gene and is a experimental drug which is currently in clinical trials.

IL-21 was approved for clinical trials in metastatic melanoma and renal cell carcinoma patients. It was shown to be safe for administration with flu-like symptoms as side effects. Dose-limiting toxicities included low lymphocyte, neutrophil, and thrombocyte count as well as hepatotoxicity. According to the Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors (RECIST) response scale, 2 out of 47 MM patients and 4 out of 19 RCC patients showed complete and partial responses, respectively. In addition, there was an increase of peforin, granzyme B, IFN-Y, and CXCR3 mRNA in peripheral NK cells and CD8+ T-cells. This suggested that IL-21 enhances the CD8+ effector functions thus leading to anti-tumor response. IL-21 proceeded to Phase 2 clinical trials where it was administered alone or coupled with drugs as sorafinib and rituximab.

Here is the trial:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01152788?term=il-21+melanoma&recr=Open&rank=1

There is also a phase II trial, but it is not recruiting patients at this time.

Michael

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Charlie S
        Participant

Nice to see you post this Michael.  My team and I have played with not only IL2, but 7, 11 as well as the 21 you mentioned for some time.

Each one in the interleukine chain serves a different purpose and function with many others yet only are "thought" to do something but not definitive, but there are clear suggestions of symbiotic activity.

That said, there IS an important interplay in my opinion, from my one person clinical trial.

I might add, that these interleukins are widely available sans trials, but it surely takes a trusted team and forward thinking tumor board to get them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but you CAN get them………..and certainly at ones own risk.

Cheers,

Charlie S

nicoli
            Participant

So Charlie, while I appreciate your posts, I don't always understand your wit. Would you or would you NOT do these interleukins?

Nicki,Stage 3b

Charlie S
              Participant

I'm not always clear,,,,,so let me clear that up !

I HAVE done IL2, I HAVE done IL7, 11 and 21 through a variety of methods, and I will do so again if it makes sense to me. 

For many reasons I hold my medical decisions close to my vest because they have only applied to me, for my particular circumstances and according to my own best judgement…………………….and often my best judgement is at odds with conventional approaches to melanoma, but I get what I want and it has always been supported and approved by the medical reasoning of physicians.

Yes, there is risk involved and yes it is unconventional and no you just can't waltz into the docs office and say " hey, how about hittin' me up with this".

So YES I have done them, and YES under the right circumstance would do them again, NO there is no need to get them via a trial, but due to the risk, not every doc is going to be willing to do that for you.

Clear as mud, huh?

Cheers,

Charlie S

nicoli
                Participant

Ya know what Iove about your, Charlie?  You posted the "Stage 4 Roll Call for the Undead" and I will never forget that.  That has been a huge blessing for me.

Thanks, Charlie.

Nicki, Stage3b

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant
                    Yeah Charley, I thought you were very clear. I still wonder why more direct injections are not done in individual tumors. I hve a new tumor I just found last week. It’s about 2 cm across in my right chest. I will see my Onc Monday and get a T then. I have to decide if I want it cut out or try direct injections and what the Onc is willing to do. Wish me luck. Thanks for all your words.
                    JerryfromFauq
                    Participant
                      Yeah Charley, I thought you were very clear. I still wonder why more direct injections are not done in individual tumors. I hve a new tumor I just found last week. It’s about 2 cm across in my right chest. I will see my Onc Monday and get a T then. I have to decide if I want it cut out or try direct injections and what the Onc is willing to do. Wish me luck. Thanks for all your words.
                      nicoli
                      Participant

Ya know what Iove about your, Charlie?  You posted the "Stage 4 Roll Call for the Undead" and I will never forget that.  That has been a huge blessing for me.

Thanks, Charlie.

Nicki, Stage3b

Charlie S
                        Participant

I'm not always clear,,,,,so let me clear that up !

I HAVE done IL2, I HAVE done IL7, 11 and 21 through a variety of methods, and I will do so again if it makes sense to me. 

For many reasons I hold my medical decisions close to my vest because they have only applied to me, for my particular circumstances and according to my own best judgement…………………….and often my best judgement is at odds with conventional approaches to melanoma, but I get what I want and it has always been supported and approved by the medical reasoning of physicians.

Yes, there is risk involved and yes it is unconventional and no you just can't waltz into the docs office and say " hey, how about hittin' me up with this".

So YES I have done them, and YES under the right circumstance would do them again, NO there is no need to get them via a trial, but due to the risk, not every doc is going to be willing to do that for you.

Clear as mud, huh?

Cheers,

Charlie S

nicoli
                          Participant

So Charlie, while I appreciate your posts, I don't always understand your wit. Would you or would you NOT do these interleukins?

Nicki,Stage 3b

Charlie S
                          Participant

Nice to see you post this Michael.  My team and I have played with not only IL2, but 7, 11 as well as the 21 you mentioned for some time.

Each one in the interleukine chain serves a different purpose and function with many others yet only are "thought" to do something but not definitive, but there are clear suggestions of symbiotic activity.

That said, there IS an important interplay in my opinion, from my one person clinical trial.

I might add, that these interleukins are widely available sans trials, but it surely takes a trusted team and forward thinking tumor board to get them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but you CAN get them………..and certainly at ones own risk.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Viewing 1 reply thread
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics