The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Interferon questions

Forums General Melanoma Community Interferon questions

Participant

Hey what's up.

Hey what's up.

I'm still awaiting biopsy results from tumor removal ( 1.9 mm approx, nodular, non-ulcerated 7 mm mitotic rate) and SNL from armpit area. The doctors at Penn hospital said they wouldn't advise interferon if it hasn't progressed to the lymph nodes. They really wouldn't discuss any therapy until the results come back, which I understand. I took interferon or pegintron for 6 months to cure Hep C and was able to work construction as well as run about 15 miles a week. I had to inject myself once a week. I want to know if the interfveron treatment  for melanoma is similiar to this? Ihave read about high dose interferon where they give you an IV for 5 days straight and then you self dose, but I can't find any info other than the basics so I decided to come to the experts to get the lowdown on this therapy. Any and all info concerning this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gtown    

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        ChrisTheWilsonZoo
        Participant

Intereferon is the generic name for Intron-A.  Here is  the RxList entry for Intron-A:    http://www.rxlist.com/intron-a-drug.htm

Reading the dosage information, you can get a really good idea of the dosage differences between Hepatitis C and melanoma.  According to it:

For melanoma, the high-dose regimen is 5-days a week for 4 weeks at 20miu/m2, administered by IV. 

The low-dose regimen is 3x per week for 48 weeks at 10miu/m2 administered subcutaneously.

For hepatits C, the regimen is 3miu, 3x per week, administered subcutaneously.

One of the major dosage adjustments between melanoma and hepatitis C is that for melanoma, the dosage is partially based on the patient's "size" (notice the "/m2" in calculating the dosage), and for hepatitis C, it is a straight 3miu.

For me, my high-dosage was 32 miu, while my low-dose was 16miu.  Given the dosage is that much higher, you can probably expect the side effects to also be higher while taking interferon for melanoma.

ChrisTheWilsonZoo
          Participant

Intereferon is the generic name for Intron-A.  Here is  the RxList entry for Intron-A:    http://www.rxlist.com/intron-a-drug.htm

Reading the dosage information, you can get a really good idea of the dosage differences between Hepatitis C and melanoma.  According to it:

For melanoma, the high-dose regimen is 5-days a week for 4 weeks at 20miu/m2, administered by IV. 

The low-dose regimen is 3x per week for 48 weeks at 10miu/m2 administered subcutaneously.

For hepatits C, the regimen is 3miu, 3x per week, administered subcutaneously.

One of the major dosage adjustments between melanoma and hepatitis C is that for melanoma, the dosage is partially based on the patient's "size" (notice the "/m2" in calculating the dosage), and for hepatitis C, it is a straight 3miu.

For me, my high-dosage was 32 miu, while my low-dose was 16miu.  Given the dosage is that much higher, you can probably expect the side effects to also be higher while taking interferon for melanoma.

Janis B.
            Participant

Hi Gtown,

The interferon dose for melanoma is about 6 times the amount given for Hep C.  It's administered intravenously 5 consecutive days a week during the induction or initial phase, then the self-dosing as you noted for 1 year (maintenance phase).  Adjuvant treatment like interferon, because of its toxicity and relatively minor impact on the disease, is rarely (if ever??) offered after an initial local excision w/o metastasis.

I received interferon after a second recurrence and metastasis to one lymph node. All respond differently, but one should not expect any where near the same level of tolerance you had w/ the Hep C weekly injections.  I was pretty much laid up after the 2nd week of the induction phase and had to discontinue after the 4 weeks due to illness.  Many, many do complete the entire year, but that first month is no walk in the park.

Hope this helps. 

Janis B.
              Participant

Hi Gtown,

The interferon dose for melanoma is about 6 times the amount given for Hep C.  It's administered intravenously 5 consecutive days a week during the induction or initial phase, then the self-dosing as you noted for 1 year (maintenance phase).  Adjuvant treatment like interferon, because of its toxicity and relatively minor impact on the disease, is rarely (if ever??) offered after an initial local excision w/o metastasis.

I received interferon after a second recurrence and metastasis to one lymph node. All respond differently, but one should not expect any where near the same level of tolerance you had w/ the Hep C weekly injections.  I was pretty much laid up after the 2nd week of the induction phase and had to discontinue after the 4 weeks due to illness.  Many, many do complete the entire year, but that first month is no walk in the park.

Hope this helps. 

Fen
                Participant

The response to interferon is variable so I don't know how much this will help, but anyway – my husband was on interferon for his Hep C and worked is desk job just fine.  He didn't do much else, but he went in every day.  Major side effects were fatigue and depression.

I did both high dose – 5 days/week for a month – and 6 months of the low dose for melanoma.   I couldn't work, shoot, I could barely walk.  However my age (58 at the time) might have had something to do with it.  

As I said, this is just our experience.  I remember reading on the board where other people have had an easier time with it.  Just depends on your particular physiology.  Drinking lots of water helps – good luck!

Fen

Fen
                  Participant

The response to interferon is variable so I don't know how much this will help, but anyway – my husband was on interferon for his Hep C and worked is desk job just fine.  He didn't do much else, but he went in every day.  Major side effects were fatigue and depression.

I did both high dose – 5 days/week for a month – and 6 months of the low dose for melanoma.   I couldn't work, shoot, I could barely walk.  However my age (58 at the time) might have had something to do with it.  

As I said, this is just our experience.  I remember reading on the board where other people have had an easier time with it.  Just depends on your particular physiology.  Drinking lots of water helps – good luck!

Fen

gtown
                    Participant

Thanks everyone, I knew that higher dosage would mean more side effects but I wanted to get an idea of how much more the average dosage would be. THanks for your time and tyhe invaluable advice.

Gtown  

gtown
                      Participant

Thanks everyone, I knew that higher dosage would mean more side effects but I wanted to get an idea of how much more the average dosage would be. THanks for your time and tyhe invaluable advice.

Gtown  

Viewing 7 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics