The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Interferon Protocol

Forums General Melanoma Community Interferon Protocol

Participant

Hello,

My surgeon mentioned a new(er) Interferon protocol that was different from the 30 day high does followed by 3 weekly injections for 11 months. The protocol was/is 1 weekly injection that has been used(studied in melanoma) for up to 5 years. I do not have any additional details on dose or anything else at this time.

I was wondering if anyone has any information on this protocol. If it is new I like the ideal of 1 weekly injection vs 3 but that may depend on the dose. It sounds similar to an MS protocol to me.

Hello,

My surgeon mentioned a new(er) Interferon protocol that was different from the 30 day high does followed by 3 weekly injections for 11 months. The protocol was/is 1 weekly injection that has been used(studied in melanoma) for up to 5 years. I do not have any additional details on dose or anything else at this time.

I was wondering if anyone has any information on this protocol. If it is new I like the ideal of 1 weekly injection vs 3 but that may depend on the dose. It sounds similar to an MS protocol to me.

I am scheduled to see my hemo-onc  for my first visit on July 1.

Thank you,

Allen

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

It has been FDA approved recently.  I'm going to try and link the study.  Also, if you do a search on Pegylated Interferon you  should come up with some info.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18620949

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

It has been FDA approved recently.  I'm going to try and link the study.  Also, if you do a search on Pegylated Interferon you  should come up with some info.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18620949

Linda

Janis B.
            Participant

I'm currently on the Oncovex trial, but if it fails, my dr. said that this would be the next step for me.  I did some research on the peg-interferon – it appears to be less toxic and more effective than the traditional interferon, which to me, is a very good thing since I was taken off interferon after one month due to rampant illness.  Anyway,per my MD, it has been approved by the FDA.

Wishing you the very best at your visit!

Janis

lhaley
                Participant

Janis,

I don't understand how the peglated interferon would be your next step.  Oncovax is for those who have measurable disease and interferon is used as an adjunct therapy.

lhaley
                  Participant

Janis,

I don't understand how the peglated interferon would be your next step.  Oncovax is for those who have measurable disease and interferon is used as an adjunct therapy.

Janis B.
                  Participant

I'm currently on the Oncovex trial, but if it fails, my dr. said that this would be the next step for me.  I did some research on the peg-interferon – it appears to be less toxic and more effective than the traditional interferon, which to me, is a very good thing since I was taken off interferon after one month due to rampant illness.  Anyway,per my MD, it has been approved by the FDA.

Wishing you the very best at your visit!

Janis

awg
                    Participant

Thank you for the reply.

Allen

awg
                      Participant

Thank you for the reply.

Allen

Melanoma Mom
                        Participant

My understanding is that it is beneficial with decreasing the side effects of Interferon, but the overall success is no different from the original. I asked our Oncologist, as well as an Oncologist that recently wrote an article about Peg. Interferon, and they both agreed that it would be no benefit to do one over the other in relation to survival. Since my son is managing his side effects well, there was no reason to switch.

Melanoma Mom
                          Participant

My understanding is that it is beneficial with decreasing the side effects of Interferon, but the overall success is no different from the original. I asked our Oncologist, as well as an Oncologist that recently wrote an article about Peg. Interferon, and they both agreed that it would be no benefit to do one over the other in relation to survival. Since my son is managing his side effects well, there was no reason to switch.

jimjoeb
                            Participant

Does anyone know if the pegylated interferon is available in Canada for stage III?

jimjoeb
                              Participant

Does anyone know if the pegylated interferon is available in Canada for stage III?

Viewing 9 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics