The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Interferon

Forums General Melanoma Community Interferon

Participant

Hey what's up? Just curious, has anyone undergone interferon treatment (high or low dose) if they weren't stage 3? I know the successs rate isn't great but wouldn't it be preventative medicine? I mean what could it hurt . I alluded to the fact that I took it at a a much lower dose for HEP C on another post. I know I'm probably missing some key points here, but from what I've heard it's usually not used unless you're stage 3. Am I wrong? Has anyone used it and not been stage 3? Is it insurance reasons?

Hey what's up? Just curious, has anyone undergone interferon treatment (high or low dose) if they weren't stage 3? I know the successs rate isn't great but wouldn't it be preventative medicine? I mean what could it hurt . I alluded to the fact that I took it at a a much lower dose for HEP C on another post. I know I'm probably missing some key points here, but from what I've heard it's usually not used unless you're stage 3. Am I wrong? Has anyone used it and not been stage 3? Is it insurance reasons? Are my incessant questions driving everyone to the brink? HaHa

Gtown

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

It has occasionally been used for high risk stage II individuals.  I'm not sure if it has been shown to improve anything for stage II, however.  It doesn't improve survival rates for stage III, only delayed recurrence.  It's a very toxic treatment as well as being expensive.  It doesn't have great numbers either.  It's not something to be taken lightly.  Many melanoma centers don't even recommend it for stage III anymore.  It's definitely a personal choice, but most wouldn't even consider taking this treatment without being stage III.  Also, insurance may not pay for it unless your staging justifies it.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
          Participant

It has occasionally been used for high risk stage II individuals.  I'm not sure if it has been shown to improve anything for stage II, however.  It doesn't improve survival rates for stage III, only delayed recurrence.  It's a very toxic treatment as well as being expensive.  It doesn't have great numbers either.  It's not something to be taken lightly.  Many melanoma centers don't even recommend it for stage III anymore.  It's definitely a personal choice, but most wouldn't even consider taking this treatment without being stage III.  Also, insurance may not pay for it unless your staging justifies it.

Best wishes,

Janner

FormerCaregiver
            Participant

I would just like to agree with Janner on this. Although people would really like to
              believe otherwise, interferon treatment for melanoma has not been shown to be
              beneficial for most people. As mentioned, it doesn't improve survival rates for
              stage III. The published clinical data supports this. It is very toxic at the doses
              used and it can cause serious side effects in some cases.

Fortunately, melanoma research is advancing and there are better options becoming
              available depending on eligibility criteria and stage.

Kind regards

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
              Participant

I would just like to agree with Janner on this. Although people would really like to
                believe otherwise, interferon treatment for melanoma has not been shown to be
                beneficial for most people. As mentioned, it doesn't improve survival rates for
                stage III. The published clinical data supports this. It is very toxic at the doses
                used and it can cause serious side effects in some cases.

Fortunately, melanoma research is advancing and there are better options becoming
                available depending on eligibility criteria and stage.

Kind regards

Frank from Australia

TracyLee
                Participant

Is interferon the same as interlukon? (IL-2)?

lhaley
                    Participant

Tracy,

Interfuron is used as an adjunct therapy for stage 3 given while the patient is NED, and it's also combined in a cocktail for biochemotherapy for stage IV (some on this board have had the cocktail at stage 3).  IL2 is a stage IV drug that is given on a program that includes a stay in the hospital either in an IL2 unit or intensive care for a week at a time.

Linda

lhaley
                      Participant

Tracy,

Interfuron is used as an adjunct therapy for stage 3 given while the patient is NED, and it's also combined in a cocktail for biochemotherapy for stage IV (some on this board have had the cocktail at stage 3).  IL2 is a stage IV drug that is given on a program that includes a stay in the hospital either in an IL2 unit or intensive care for a week at a time.

Linda

FormerCaregiver
                        Participant

They are different drugs. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interferon
                          and http://www.tirgan.com/intrluk.htm

Unfortunately, they both have significant side effects.

All the best

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                          Participant

They are different drugs. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interferon
                            and http://www.tirgan.com/intrluk.htm

Unfortunately, they both have significant side effects.

All the best

Frank from Australia

TracyLee
                          Participant

Is interferon the same as interlukon? (IL-2)?

scots
                            Participant

I'm stage 2 and currently 6 months into interferon LD.  I also went through several treatments of radiation to the back of my head where the melanoma was removed.  I agree with others here that interferon is no picnic.  I did not have any problems with insurance paying for the interferon treatments. 

scot  

scots
                              Participant

I'm stage 2 and currently 6 months into interferon LD.  I also went through several treatments of radiation to the back of my head where the melanoma was removed.  I agree with others here that interferon is no picnic.  I did not have any problems with insurance paying for the interferon treatments. 

scot  

Viewing 7 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics