The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Insurance

Forums General Melanoma Community Insurance

Participant

I have Cigna through my job and I am currently getting Interferon shots 3 days a week at the West Clinic. I am being charged a $25 copay for each visit, that's $300 a month for a year, just for my Interferon shots! Is this typical or do any of you have advice for what I can do to reduce my costs?

I have Cigna through my job and I am currently getting Interferon shots 3 days a week at the West Clinic. I am being charged a $25 copay for each visit, that's $300 a month for a year, just for my Interferon shots! Is this typical or do any of you have advice for what I can do to reduce my costs?

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

After the high dose month most give themselves the shot, that would eliminate the copays!

churchwelldana
            Participant

Wouldn't I still have the pharmacy copay? When I spoke with someone from my insurance she said the cost would probably be about the same. They also said the copay was to the lab.

churchwelldana
              Participant

Wouldn't I still have the pharmacy copay? When I spoke with someone from my insurance she said the cost would probably be about the same. They also said the copay was to the lab.

lhaley
              Participant

After the high dose month most give themselves the shot, that would eliminate the copays!

mom3girlsFL
                Participant

I met my out of pocket costs, however, when I went to the onc I was still responsible for the copay.  I did the shots at home myself – maybe because you are going to a clinic to administer the shot they have to charge the copay?  My interferon through the mail order pharmacy was something like $100 for the month supply.

mom3girlsFL
                  Participant

I met my out of pocket costs, however, when I went to the onc I was still responsible for the copay.  I did the shots at home myself – maybe because you are going to a clinic to administer the shot they have to charge the copay?  My interferon through the mail order pharmacy was something like $100 for the month supply.

EricNJill
                    Participant

We did Eric's shots at home too.  The specialty pharmacy shipped the shots to us and we only had to pay a prescription co-pay for a 30 day supply so it only cost us $35/month.  I would definitely look into doing them at home and getting a month's supply.

EricNJill
                      Participant

We did Eric's shots at home too.  The specialty pharmacy shipped the shots to us and we only had to pay a prescription co-pay for a 30 day supply so it only cost us $35/month.  I would definitely look into doing them at home and getting a month's supply.

Phil S
                        Participant

The interferon was sent to our home from Florida once per month, we had to pay $50 for the month's supply as our co-pay.  Then we just had to see the doctor once per month for blood work with a $25 co-pay, so we only paid $75 per month total.  My husband just finished his year of shots yesterday!  Good luck to you.  Valerie (Phil's wife)

Vermont_Donna
                            Participant

Hi,

I also, like many above, did my own shots at home, three times a week. It is not hard to learn how to do at all. Perhaps that would help reduce the costs. Also, do you have an AFLAC cancer policy throught work by any chance? I had signed up for this way before my cancer ever developed and it has been wonderful. They paid me a nice amount of money every month I was on Inteferon, and they continue to pay me a benefit for mileage, for Pet/CT scans (one a year), for surgeries, etc..its a wonderful benefit package if you have the policy specific to cancer.    

Ok, so if you dont, you can talk to your insurance company about any ways to reduce co-pays. Do you have a nurse through the insurance company who helps to coordinate your care?? When I had BC/BS I had a nurse care manager and she was super, she helped advocate for me with the insurance company, cutting through a lot of red tape, etc, making sure I got the most appropriate care and benefits BC/BS could offer.

Lastly, you can contact the makers of your interferon…you are probably on Intron A?? They may have a program designed to help those who's co pays are hard to manage…oh and I just thought of two more things…your hospital social worker may have knowledge of some programs; and the American Cancer Society (I believe it is them) can pay you a once a year $100 benefit, there is an application to fill out. I got mine from the oncology social worker and he filled out part for me. The money can be used to help pay for meds or lymphadema garments etc. I know its not much but every little bit helps!!

Good luck!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

Vermont_Donna
                              Participant

Hi,

I also, like many above, did my own shots at home, three times a week. It is not hard to learn how to do at all. Perhaps that would help reduce the costs. Also, do you have an AFLAC cancer policy throught work by any chance? I had signed up for this way before my cancer ever developed and it has been wonderful. They paid me a nice amount of money every month I was on Inteferon, and they continue to pay me a benefit for mileage, for Pet/CT scans (one a year), for surgeries, etc..its a wonderful benefit package if you have the policy specific to cancer.    

Ok, so if you dont, you can talk to your insurance company about any ways to reduce co-pays. Do you have a nurse through the insurance company who helps to coordinate your care?? When I had BC/BS I had a nurse care manager and she was super, she helped advocate for me with the insurance company, cutting through a lot of red tape, etc, making sure I got the most appropriate care and benefits BC/BS could offer.

Lastly, you can contact the makers of your interferon…you are probably on Intron A?? They may have a program designed to help those who's co pays are hard to manage…oh and I just thought of two more things…your hospital social worker may have knowledge of some programs; and the American Cancer Society (I believe it is them) can pay you a once a year $100 benefit, there is an application to fill out. I got mine from the oncology social worker and he filled out part for me. The money can be used to help pay for meds or lymphadema garments etc. I know its not much but every little bit helps!!

Good luck!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

Phil S
                              Participant

The interferon was sent to our home from Florida once per month, we had to pay $50 for the month's supply as our co-pay.  Then we just had to see the doctor once per month for blood work with a $25 co-pay, so we only paid $75 per month total.  My husband just finished his year of shots yesterday!  Good luck to you.  Valerie (Phil's wife)

bluepeople
                                Participant

we do the shots at home so my hubby has to go pick up the stuff about every month and at that time he pays a $25 co-pay to the pharmacy.  I think he would stop doing the interferon if he had to go in to the hospital every MWF.  It's pretty easy, he won't do it himself, but I do it for him and it's not too difficult. 

Akilyn

bluepeople
                                  Participant

we do the shots at home so my hubby has to go pick up the stuff about every month and at that time he pays a $25 co-pay to the pharmacy.  I think he would stop doing the interferon if he had to go in to the hospital every MWF.  It's pretty easy, he won't do it himself, but I do it for him and it's not too difficult. 

Akilyn

gabsound
                                    Participant
                                      I wish I had any of your copays!! I just finished 4 week high dose phase and was told my insurance would only cover self injections at 50 percent leaving a copayment of $1400/month!!!!

Currently the pharmacy and the cancer clinic are looking into copayment assistance, but since I made good money last year I may not qualify. I wonder who could afford $1400/month for 11 months!

washoegal
                                        Participant

I would try dealing with the insurance directly directly.  This doesn't sound right.  I am sure diabetics don't pay 50%. 

washoegal
                                          Participant

I would try dealing with the insurance directly directly.  This doesn't sound right.  I am sure diabetics don't pay 50%. 

gabsound
                                          Participant
                                            I wish I had any of your copays!! I just finished 4 week high dose phase and was told my insurance would only cover self injections at 50 percent leaving a copayment of $1400/month!!!!

Currently the pharmacy and the cancer clinic are looking into copayment assistance, but since I made good money last year I may not qualify. I wonder who could afford $1400/month for 11 months!

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics