The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Insurance Question… Pre-Approval?

Forums General Melanoma Community Insurance Question… Pre-Approval?

Participant

Just curious how many of you seek "pre-approval" of certain procedures through your health insurance carriers. I have good insurance so I never really thought about it – if a doctor tells me to have a CT or a PET scan, I just do it. Same with surgery. My thought has always been that I will not let some bureaucrat dictate what treatments I should or should not have as that is a choice for me and my doctor. If the insurance denies something, I can deal with it afterwards. For example, they recently deemed general anesthesia and an epidural as "not medically necessary" for open abdominal surgery which I thought was kind of funny… we got that fixed.

I ask the general question because my PET scan is coming up next week and I received the letter from the hospital stating that I should ensure that I am preapproved by my insurance prior to showing up for the appointment.

Kevin

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        G-Samsa
        Participant

I have good insurance too — but I wouldn't want to go into a costly procedure ( where pre-approval is required) without the pre- approval.  I can't see how fighting the fight after the fact puts you in a stronger position –better to deal with it as the hospital recommends. You certainly can't claim ignorance of the requirement.

G-Samsa
          Participant

I have good insurance too — but I wouldn't want to go into a costly procedure ( where pre-approval is required) without the pre- approval.  I can't see how fighting the fight after the fact puts you in a stronger position –better to deal with it as the hospital recommends. You certainly can't claim ignorance of the requirement.

G-Samsa
            Participant

kylez
              Participant

Kevin,

Both of the facilities I go to handle getting approvals from the (PPO) insurance company for me. I've yet to interact directly with an insurance company in the 3+ years I've been doing this. Maybe it's the PPO aspect that makes this easier for the hospital to handle directly?

tschmith
                  Participant

I always make sure surgeries, MRIs, scans, and so on are pre-approved.  I take the authorization number with me just in case there's a mix-up.  So far, I haven't had any problems with coverage.

tschmith
                    Participant

I always make sure surgeries, MRIs, scans, and so on are pre-approved.  I take the authorization number with me just in case there's a mix-up.  So far, I haven't had any problems with coverage.

tschmith
                      Participant

kylez
                      Participant

Kevin,

Both of the facilities I go to handle getting approvals from the (PPO) insurance company for me. I've yet to interact directly with an insurance company in the 3+ years I've been doing this. Maybe it's the PPO aspect that makes this easier for the hospital to handle directly?

kylez
                        Participant

Kevin,

adriana cooper
                          Participant

We're on the pre-approval side so there are no surprises as we don't have anywhere near the funds to cover these procedures. WE just received our copy of the bill for the PET/CT and MRI at just under $20k. Initially denied just two days before the scans that required a phone consult to them from the Dr. Also initially denied was an overnight stay in the hospital following lung surgery, that would be requiring a chest tube, (did they really think she was going home with that in her?) That required a phone call post surgery to authorize. The patient rep at the hospital indicated that these types of calls were not uncommon these days. She handled the necessary calls. Haven't seen this bill yet but I suspect it will be tens of thousands $. Obviously health comes far before moneybut the health care industry is a business and it does indeed  put a dollar amount on our lives.

Rob

adriana cooper
                            Participant

We're on the pre-approval side so there are no surprises as we don't have anywhere near the funds to cover these procedures. WE just received our copy of the bill for the PET/CT and MRI at just under $20k. Initially denied just two days before the scans that required a phone consult to them from the Dr. Also initially denied was an overnight stay in the hospital following lung surgery, that would be requiring a chest tube, (did they really think she was going home with that in her?) That required a phone call post surgery to authorize. The patient rep at the hospital indicated that these types of calls were not uncommon these days. She handled the necessary calls. Haven't seen this bill yet but I suspect it will be tens of thousands $. Obviously health comes far before moneybut the health care industry is a business and it does indeed  put a dollar amount on our lives.

Rob

adriana cooper
                              Participant

Rob

kpcollins31
                                Participant

I appreciate the responses – they made me a little nervous so I called my insurance provider to get details on what is required. I was told that for my insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO), the only procedures requiring pre-approval would be in-patient procedures but they indicated that the doctor/hospital handles that pre-approval. For scans and such no preapproval would be required.  

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                  Participant

I appreciate the responses – they made me a little nervous so I called my insurance provider to get details on what is required. I was told that for my insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO), the only procedures requiring pre-approval would be in-patient procedures but they indicated that the doctor/hospital handles that pre-approval. For scans and such no preapproval would be required.  

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                    Participant

Kevin

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics