The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Immunotherapy and sex

Forums General Melanoma Community Immunotherapy and sex

Participant

Has anyone else been told they need to adjust their sex lives while on Nivolumab? 

I had my first infusion yesterday and was given a leaflet which said we had to use condoms for the next year of my treatment, plus for 6 months afterwards incase I pass any of the drug into my husband’s system. It was designed with Chemo patients in mind though and the nurse couldn’t really explain if it applied to me too. 

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

Hi Zelda, I have a link to BMS the company that makes Opdivo (Nivo) and it doesn't go into any great detail other than it can harm the fetus if you get pregnant. With the link, just go down to section on pregnacy!!! Good luck with treatments!!! Ed https://www.bms.com/life-and-science/people/a-study-in-resilience.html

swalters1038
          Participant

I'm on Tafinlar and Mekinist and my doctor told me the same thing.  He pretty much admitted that the real answer is they have no clue, but in the absence of real data and information its better to side on safety and precaution.

Hukill
            Participant

When I started the ipi/nivo combo I was told the same thing and also not for my wife the eat or drink after me. About a year or so after the combo and still on nivo I again spoke with my pharmacist who mixed my drugs who actually knew way more than the oncologist and said we could stop the condoms. It has been about 18 months and my wife has not had any signs of the ipi/nivo affecting her immune system. I started therapy in 06/2016 and I have not been sick since, no colds, flu, stomach bugs or anything. It was wierd at the age of 58 going through the register with just condoms.

skfitz
              Participant

My husband and I have not had any problems, nor were we told to avoid unprotected sex. We were definitely warned about pregnancy but that was it. He was on the ipi/nivo combo for 12 weeks and has now been on Taf/Mek for over 6 months. No issues on my end whatsoever. Hope this helps!

Zelda_Scotland
                Participant

I think it's exactly as Steven said, they really don't know. The nurse I spoke to basically said, "that's what we tell the chemo patients". Nobody mentioned anything about this before the treatment started and there was nothing online about this being one of the possible side effects so it kind of took us by surprise.

Viewing 4 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics