The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

I’m freaking out

Forums General Melanoma Community I’m freaking out

Participant

I was diagnosed stage 3b last year.  I have been NED my lymph node dissection last May.  The past few weeks I have been dealing with a headache that just won't go away.  The initial thought was a side-effect of my Leukine.  I have been off shots for 12 days now and still have the headache.  Mayo wants me to have a brain MRI this Thursday.  I am freaking out about it because I have heard many horror stories.  I have read posts on here about them from time to time and that adds to my concern.  Anyone have experiences to share that can help calm me down? 

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Polymath
        Participant

Hi Bradley,

Sorry to hear about the headaches and hope when this is through, the results are less scary, than you are feeling now.  A recent thread did mention how anxiety ridden brain MRI's can be.  An unintended consequence of too much sharing on this board.  First, relax, and they will offer some meds to help you relax if you feel you may need them.  The problem is the claustrophobic feeling of the small space, combined with loud noise generated by the machine.  I cope by just keeping my eyes closed (the whole time) and visualize the people, and places, and things I want to live for.  That why I'm doing the test right?  To live.  While this may be an over-simplification, I can tell you that with your eyes closed tightly, the fact you are this small space becomes a non-issue.  Best to you.

Gary

Polymath
          Participant

Hi Bradley,

Sorry to hear about the headaches and hope when this is through, the results are less scary, than you are feeling now.  A recent thread did mention how anxiety ridden brain MRI's can be.  An unintended consequence of too much sharing on this board.  First, relax, and they will offer some meds to help you relax if you feel you may need them.  The problem is the claustrophobic feeling of the small space, combined with loud noise generated by the machine.  I cope by just keeping my eyes closed (the whole time) and visualize the people, and places, and things I want to live for.  That why I'm doing the test right?  To live.  While this may be an over-simplification, I can tell you that with your eyes closed tightly, the fact you are this small space becomes a non-issue.  Best to you.

Gary

Polymath
            Participant

Hi Bradley,

Gary

triciad
              Participant

I did Leukine several years ago.  It was 14 days on/14 days off.  I remember having a mild headache throughout the treatment, so it could be the Leukine.  Having said that, I think having the brain MRI is a great idea.  It will put your mind to rest.

Now, I can also give you another view.  Three months ago I was diagnosed with six brain mets.  I had no symptoms whatsoever.  No headache…nothing!  I am BRAF positive, so I'm on Talfinar and MEK.  I went for scans last week…everything is gone.  I'm NED.

You're in my prayers for good scans on Thursday.  Try to relax.

Blessings,

Tricia

jenny22
                  Participant

Tricia-

I have followed your posts, and had no idea of the recent brain mets …..sorrry to hear that but happy to see you are again NED….

keep us posted.

best,

jenny

jenny22
                    Participant

Tricia-

I have followed your posts, and had no idea of the recent brain mets …..sorrry to hear that but happy to see you are again NED….

keep us posted.

best,

jenny

jenny22
                      Participant

Tricia-

keep us posted.

best,

jenny

triciad
                      Participant

I did Leukine several years ago.  It was 14 days on/14 days off.  I remember having a mild headache throughout the treatment, so it could be the Leukine.  Having said that, I think having the brain MRI is a great idea.  It will put your mind to rest.

Now, I can also give you another view.  Three months ago I was diagnosed with six brain mets.  I had no symptoms whatsoever.  No headache…nothing!  I am BRAF positive, so I'm on Talfinar and MEK.  I went for scans last week…everything is gone.  I'm NED.

Blessings,

Tricia

triciad
                        Participant

Blessings,

Tricia

jennunicorn
                          Participant

If your doctor has not prescribed a few anti anxiety pills yet, ask today so you can have them in time for Thursday. Even for people who think they don't need them benefit from that extra help of relaxation. It's not fun, but Gary responded with good advice. Keep your eyes closed, try your best to relax (even with the help of a couple pills beforehand), think about good thoughts that relax you, whether that's your family, friends, sporting event, a fun vacation, anything that makes you feel happy and at ease. It's not my favorite thing in the world, but it's just one of those things we have to put up with and it doesn't last too long which is nice.

Wishing all the best for you during your scan and for very good results.

jennunicorn
                            Participant

If your doctor has not prescribed a few anti anxiety pills yet, ask today so you can have them in time for Thursday. Even for people who think they don't need them benefit from that extra help of relaxation. It's not fun, but Gary responded with good advice. Keep your eyes closed, try your best to relax (even with the help of a couple pills beforehand), think about good thoughts that relax you, whether that's your family, friends, sporting event, a fun vacation, anything that makes you feel happy and at ease. It's not my favorite thing in the world, but it's just one of those things we have to put up with and it doesn't last too long which is nice.

jennunicorn
                              Participant

vivian
                                  Participant

Since being diagnosed in 2010, I have had many brain MRIs.  I never look forward to them, but they have gotten easier and easier to deal with.  I always accept the offer of music and headphones.  What helps the most is that the tech comes on and tells me how many minutes of each phase is coming up.  I can hear her sweet voice say things like, "Okay, there are going to be 5 minutes of loud clanging", or "Almost done, now, just 3 more minutes."  The banging and clanging really doesn't bother me.  (Maybe all those years of listening to really loud rock is paying off!)  I do keep my eyes closed.

Hopefully this will go by very quickly and the results will be great!

Best,

Lear

vivian
                                    Participant

Since being diagnosed in 2010, I have had many brain MRIs.  I never look forward to them, but they have gotten easier and easier to deal with.  I always accept the offer of music and headphones.  What helps the most is that the tech comes on and tells me how many minutes of each phase is coming up.  I can hear her sweet voice say things like, "Okay, there are going to be 5 minutes of loud clanging", or "Almost done, now, just 3 more minutes."  The banging and clanging really doesn't bother me.  (Maybe all those years of listening to really loud rock is paying off!)  I do keep my eyes closed.

Best,

Lear

Mark_DC
                                      Participant

Agree with Lear – i have only had one brain scan but classical music on headphones helped a lot. That plus the technician talking in between scans and telling me how long it would take (wish would do more often). I listened to music and tried to daydream. Good luck!

Mark_DC
                                        Participant

Agree with Lear – i have only had one brain scan but classical music on headphones helped a lot. That plus the technician talking in between scans and telling me how long it would take (wish would do more often). I listened to music and tried to daydream. Good luck!

Mark_DC
                                          Participant

vivian
                                            Participant

Best,

Lear

MoiraM
                                            Participant

I've had two brain MRIs. I did not find them too bad at all.

You have to not take anything metal anywhere near the machine because of the extremely strong magnetic field. At my hospital, you have to leave everything like coins, glasses, watches or keys in a locker. Make absolutely sure you aren't wearing anything metallic, not even a hook or a button.

They are super noisy. Think pneumatic drill. I believe it is them changing the polarity of the magnetic field many times a second and it is what makes the MRI work.

My advice is the same as Gary's – keep you eyes tight shut the whole time. I do that for all my scans.

I have a breathig app on my phone that I use to calm myself before such things.

MoiraM
                                              Participant

You have to not take anything metal anywhere near the machine because of the extremely strong magnetic field. At my hospital, you have to leave everything like coins, glasses, watches or keys in a locker. Make absolutely sure you aren't wearing anything metallic, not even a hook or a button.

They are super noisy. Think pneumatic drill. I believe it is them changing the polarity of the magnetic field many times a second and it is what makes the MRI work.

My advice is the same as Gary's – keep you eyes tight shut the whole time. I do that for all my scans.

MoiraM
                                                Participant

MoiraM
                                                    Participant

Yes, I forgot that. Take the offer of earplugs or earphones!

MoiraM
                                                      Participant

MoiraM
                                                        Participant

Bradley75
                                                        Participant

Thanks to all of you for your input.  It is so helpful to hear from people that have experienced the same thing.  I grateful for the advice given and plan to follow it.  This entire process is one mental hurdle after another.  You all helped give me a boost to get over this one.  Thanks again!

Bradley75
                                                          Participant

Thanks to all of you for your input.  It is so helpful to hear from people that have experienced the same thing.  I grateful for the advice given and plan to follow it.  This entire process is one mental hurdle after another.  You all helped give me a boost to get over this one.  Thanks again!

Jubes
                                                              Participant

I usually do some meditation. If you have practiced it before, it really helps and makes the time go more quickly. I think of it as an opportunity to see if I can meditate in all that noise. Just being aware of my breaths ( 9 breaths counting with each finger) I am a classical musician so for me the music was annoying, so make sure it's something you like it you're stuck with it! Good luck and I hope the mri shows all clear. 

Jubes
                                                                Participant

I usually do some meditation. If you have practiced it before, it really helps and makes the time go more quickly. I think of it as an opportunity to see if I can meditate in all that noise. Just being aware of my breaths ( 9 breaths counting with each finger) I am a classical musician so for me the music was annoying, so make sure it's something you like it you're stuck with it! Good luck and I hope the mri shows all clear. 

Jubes
                                                                  Participant

Bradley75
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics