The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

IL-8 with Nivolumab

Forums General Melanoma Community IL-8 with Nivolumab

Participant

Hi Ratties

I've been offered the opportunity to participate in the clinical trial below, Phase 1/2, involving Interleukin 8 and Nivolumab, the theory being that a reduction in IL-8 will improve the Nivo efficiency.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03400332

If anyone out there has any experience of this trial or insights/thoughts I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

Tony

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        NEDnotDead
        Participant

Hi Tony,

I believe my oncologist at the Abbotsford Cancer Center will also have patients involved in this trial. I seem to be responding to the Nivo maintenance finally so will keep my fingers crossed and keep an eye on this trial.

Best,

Chris

GeoTony
            Participant

Hi Chris,,

I'm being treated just down the road from you in Vancouver so I'll let you know how I get on, great news that the Nivo is working well

Tony

Bubbles
            Participant

This looks like a really promising trial, Tony.  Here is a report from May….if you haven't seen it:

Phase I trial of BMS-986253, an anti-IL-8 monoclonal antibody, in patients with metastatic or unresectable solid tumors.  

Background: BMS-986253 is a novel fully human monoclonal antibody that binds to and inhibits IL-8, a chemokine that promotes immune escape and tumor progression. High serum IL-8 levels correlate with poor prognosis in various tumors. IL-8 stimulates recruitment of myeloid-derived suppressor cells (MDSCs) and promotes epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMT) in tumors conferring resistance to immune-mediated killing. We have previously shown the ability of BMS-986253 to reduce mesenchymal features in cancer cells leading to enhanced susceptibility to NK and T cell-mediated lysis, and to decrease the frequency of granulocytic MDSCs in xenograft models. Decreases in serum IL-8 were also associated with response to anti–PD1 therapy in a small cohort of patients with melanoma and NSCLC.

Methods: Patients with metastatic or unresectable locally advanced malignant solid tumors were treated with BMS-986253 monotherapy at 4, 8, 16, or 32 mg/kg IV Q2W in a phase I, open-label, 3+3 dose-escalation study. The primary objective was to determine the safety and tolerability and establish the maximum tolerated dose (MTD). Pharmacokinetics and changes in serum cytokine levels including IL-8 were also evaluated.

Results: Amongst 15 patients, no serious treatment-related adverse events (TRAEs) were observed and MTD was not identified through 32mg/kg. TRAEs occurred in 5 pts (33%), and all were Grade 1 except for Grade 2 fatigue, hypophosphatemia and hypersomnia in two patients receiving 32mg/kg. Eleven pts (73%) achieved stable disease (per RECIST v1.1) and 4 patients had progressive disease (27%). The progression free survival rate at 24 weeks for all patients was 73% with two-sided 95% CI [44%, 89%]. Reductions in serum IL-8 levels were observed at all dose levels.

Conclusions: BMS-986253 monotherapy is well tolerated and associated with decreases in serum IL-8 across all doses tested. These data have informed combining this drug with Nivolumab and potentially other agents to evaluate the potential for synergetic activity in selected patient populations. Clinical trial information: NCT02536469.

What's so cool about it is this:  BMS-986253 is a drug that is supposed to inhibit IL-8.  What's so about that?  Well, left to it own devices, IL-8 takes over myeloid-derived suppressor cells (MDSCs), and by doing that allows tumors to resist being killed by immune-mediated processes (whether it is immunotherapy or our own bodies.

Here's how we know that this is important:

We have known for years that fewer MDSC's is a positive sign when dealing with melanoma.  Here's a bunch of posts and data on myeloid derived suppressor cells (MDSCs) and their role in melanoma: 

https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/08/markers-for-response-to-immunotherapy.html

This was a finding from the ratties in my nivo trial that ran from 2010 – 2013:

"There was a trend towards lower baseline MDSC (myeliod derived suppressor cells) levels in non-relapsing patients compared to relapsing patients." 

I wrote this in 2014 based on the report:  "This bit of stuff and such along with other Treg/Tcell data comes your way thanks to us ratties sitting through leukapheresis twice during the trial. However, this is a bit I'm pretty psyched about.  There is talk among melanoma big dogs that combining anti-PD1 with MDSC or T-reg depletion would make it more effective.  I think that holds real promise.  Though…once again…despite my blood and services having been rendered….I have no idea what my MDSC levels were.  Still…I think this could be a real boon to future patients."  

So I am very hopeful for you!!!!  Ratties ROCK!!!  Keep us posted.  I wish you well.  celeste

GeoTony
                Participant

Thanks Celeste,

You always come through with excellent information, I'll let you know how I get on

Great to see you bouncing back

Tony

mrsaxde
                Participant

Hi Tony,

I don't have any experience to offer you, but I'm writing this to ask you to please keep us informed of your experience. I am scheduled to receive the first of three radiation treatments for a small brain met today. Then if everything is stable in the followup MRI after 30 days I will be screened for the IL-8 trial. Dr. Sharfman tells me that they are very excited about the prospects of this trial. So am I! I hope it goes well for you. I'll be very interested in hearing of your experience.

-Bill

MelanomaMike
                    Participant
                      Hi Bill, hope yer Radiation goes well brother which it should unless the technician accidently Zaps everyone in the room but you…keep us informed…
                      mrsaxde
                      Participant

Thanks Mike! This is my second go-around with radiation. It kicked the asses of the two mets I had last spring, so I'm guessing they won't do something like accidentally sterilize me this time. (Not that I'm worried about fertility these days LOL)

-Bill

GeoTony
                        Participant

Hi Bill,

Good luck with the radiation treatment, I've heard some really good results. The option of Radiation and Nivo was in my mind as Nivo on its own appears to have stalled and hopefully the IL-8 will provide the boost that I need. I'll let you know how I get on

Tony

Mark_DC
                        Participant

Hi Tony, please keep us posted on this trial, sounds very exciting and its something new, which is what some of us here might need. And Bill, good luck with the radiation and hope you will make this trial too

Best wishes Mark

Viewing 3 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics