The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Identical Twins?

Forums General Melanoma Community Identical Twins?

Participant

I notice several comments about twins.  So how many of you are also twins, and how many have twins with melanoma too?  I'm an identical twin.   My  sister was the one who seemed to be "mole-y".  I'm now a 7 yr survivor and she is melanoma free, although she has had a cou[le basal cell tumors this year.  Just Curious!!!

I notice several comments about twins.  So how many of you are also twins, and how many have twins with melanoma too?  I'm an identical twin.   My  sister was the one who seemed to be "mole-y".  I'm now a 7 yr survivor and she is melanoma free, although she has had a cou[le basal cell tumors this year.  Just Curious!!!

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        KMT2003
        Participant
          I am an identical twin who has been dealing with melanoma since 2007. My twin is melanoma free. We both have fair skin and freckles but not many moles. She has been to a dermatologist since my dx. Is there any other tests or things she should be doing???

Kelly

KMT2003
          Participant
            I am an identical twin who has been dealing with melanoma since 2007. My twin is melanoma free. We both have fair skin and freckles but not many moles. She has been to a dermatologist since my dx. Is there any other tests or things she should be doing???

Kelly

dellriol
              Participant

That's really all my sister does too. I don't really think there's much else to do.

dellriol
                Participant

That's really all my sister does too. I don't really think there's much else to do.

dellriol
                  Participant

KMT2003
                  Participant

Kelly

MichaelFL
                    Participant

So, compared to your twin who had the most sun exposure? I recall many here saying something about genetics as well.'

So, the question is genetics, sun exposure, all of the above or?

dellriol
                        Participant

I'd say we were pretty much equal on sun.  My older brother was the one who got the worst sunburns. My twin and I basically lived to swim. remember a couple bad burns that we both had.  I personally have my doubts on the whole sun exposure thing.  I think have that nice burnable skin type predisposes you to melanoma regardless of sunburns.  But there is no M.D. after my name.

dellriol
                          Participant

I'd say we were pretty much equal on sun.  My older brother was the one who got the worst sunburns. My twin and I basically lived to swim. remember a couple bad burns that we both had.  I personally have my doubts on the whole sun exposure thing.  I think have that nice burnable skin type predisposes you to melanoma regardless of sunburns.  But there is no M.D. after my name.

JC
                            Participant

Sure, having that skin type predisposes you, but then the sunburns light the fire.  We can be predisposed to a lot of things.  I can be predisposed to diabetes but that doesn't mean I'll get it.  However, if I become obese and inactive, then that predisposal is more likely to turn into the actual disease.  There is no M.D. after my name either, but that is what seems to make most sense.

JC
                              Participant

Sure, having that skin type predisposes you, but then the sunburns light the fire.  We can be predisposed to a lot of things.  I can be predisposed to diabetes but that doesn't mean I'll get it.  However, if I become obese and inactive, then that predisposal is more likely to turn into the actual disease.  There is no M.D. after my name either, but that is what seems to make most sense.

JC
                                Participant

dellriol
                                  Participant

MichaelFL
                                  Participant

So, compared to your twin who had the most sun exposure? I recall many here saying something about genetics as well.'

MichaelFL
                                    Participant

aldakota22
                                      Participant

Have identical twin and always wondered if I can use his cells in T-cell treatment being he is melanoma free.Maybe his cells have the natural ability to kill the cancer .Any thoughts on that. Beat the Beast.  Al

Erinmay22
                                          Participant

Hmm… that's an interesting question!  I guess I never noticed the posts about twins.  I have an identical twin sister.  She had lots of odd looking moles.  but all have come back as nothing.  Mine was nodular – upper right back.  I'd say we both had about the same sun exposure.

What's interesting though – growing up she was ALWAYS sick!  ear infections (had tubs put in), broken bones, strep, etc.  I on the other had can remember once in my life having an ear infection, a few bad rounds of the ful but that's it.  Never had strep, mono, bronchoitis, etc.  But then I end up with Melanoma?  So you have to wonder what the environmental factors are?  did I just end up with more sunburns?  who really knows, right?

Cheers,
                                            Erin

Erinmay22
                                            Participant

Hmm… that's an interesting question!  I guess I never noticed the posts about twins.  I have an identical twin sister.  She had lots of odd looking moles.  but all have come back as nothing.  Mine was nodular – upper right back.  I'd say we both had about the same sun exposure.

What's interesting though – growing up she was ALWAYS sick!  ear infections (had tubs put in), broken bones, strep, etc.  I on the other had can remember once in my life having an ear infection, a few bad rounds of the ful but that's it.  Never had strep, mono, bronchoitis, etc.  But then I end up with Melanoma?  So you have to wonder what the environmental factors are?  did I just end up with more sunburns?  who really knows, right?

Cheers,
                                              Erin

Erinmay22
                                              Participant

Cheers,
                                                Erin

mlbjab
                                                Participant

I'm an identical twin.  She hasn't had melanoma, but has the exact same type of moles/freckles I do.  She also has had similar sun exposure.

mlbjab
                                                  Participant

I'm an identical twin.  She hasn't had melanoma, but has the exact same type of moles/freckles I do.  She also has had similar sun exposure.

mlbjab
                                                    Participant

aldakota22
                                                    Participant

Have identical twin and always wondered if I can use his cells in T-cell treatment being he is melanoma free.Maybe his cells have the natural ability to kill the cancer .Any thoughts on that. Beat the Beast.  Al

aldakota22
                                                      Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics