The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

I need some help please

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community I need some help please

Participant

I have an ugly mole that is growing and I’m having issues finding a dermatologist who isn’t scheduling way far out in advance. One isn’t taking people until March the other isn’t taking anyone until January. I did find one for December 6 which isn’t too far out but I don’t feel like I should wait that long. I’ve called every one near me and they are absolutely no help and don’t seem to care. I am not sure it’s melanoma but it’s a good chance from the research I’ve done

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        mandyjill
        Participant

My family doctor actually took mine off but it didn't look like melanoma.  After the pathology came back that it was melanoma, that's when I went to the dermatologist to get a referral to an ocology surgeon.

Janner
          Participant

You can ask your GP, but ask for a punch biopsy.  Shave biopsies are often done and they may cut through a lesion – not great for melanoma as you lose staging information.  Better to get on a derm's radar for now and for the future.  (I'd say that to anyone, melanoma or not).  I'd schedule the Dec 6 appt now and then ask to be put on their cancellation list if possible.

MelanomaMike
            Participant
              Hi Melissa1987 (gosh your young!) I hope your biopsy goes well (when you do get it done) tell yer hospital to hire more Dermatologist! Your a PAYING damn Customer! If They Have The Customers, then They Have The Money To Hire!! Sorry bout dat, i get a lil emotional when i especialy see young folks get dicked around..i hope the best, and hope its not Melanoma, if it is, MRF (this site you & I are on now) will help you through the journey..
                Melissa1987
                Participant

Thanks Mike. Thursday is the day. Fingers crossed. I’ve been following your journey on here and you are very inspiring!

bjeans
                Participant

Hi Melissa – I know the feeling – when I spotted the scary Halloween mole on my husband, I said we were going to find a dermatologist that day, even if we had to drive for hours. I lucked out at about the 12th call – someone had canceled and the dermatologist happened to be very good. 

Just keep calling back if they don’t have waiting lists, make friends with whoever answers the phone, cast the net wider if you are able, Something will give. There are ugly as heck moles that aren’t melanoma, but better safe than worried. But my vehemence about *right now* was a bit over the top. After all, my husband still had to go back on a different day to have the mole removed.

Let us know how it goes. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics