The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

I Have A Question!

Forums General Melanoma Community I Have A Question!

Participant
      Hi family, alotta you know Whats up with me currently (3 diff Immunol meds arnt working for me), my question is, is it safe to say that trying Chemo meds like Interferon, Interleukin, Proleukin and other types not a even worth trying? Is that like going backwards? Im gathering that those meds have very little success with our desease compared to the Pembro, Ipilimumab & Nivolumab that iv done already…just curious! Please share..thanx!
    Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jeanne321
        Participant

Hi Mike – I have been on his board for 20+ years but very Seldom post. I have had stage 4 melanoma since 1996 and have been on many treatments. The big immunotherapy drugs didn't work for me. I "failed" both Yervoy and Pembro. After that I did IL2 which also did not work but was worth a try because they say if it does work, it's a cure. I have now been on a chemo trial for 3+ years. The side effects are tolerable and I pretty much lead a normal ( whatever that is) life. My point is, don't rule anything out. 

As as a side note, I always read your posts and appreciate how supportive and helpful you are to everyone. Best of luck with your choice of treatment. I have been in situations where I didn't think I could ever bounce back and yet I did!

MelanomaMike
            Participant
              Good golly hot tamale! 20 years? I should say to you Thank You For Serving! Bless your heart, and thank you for coming out the woodwork, it is a bit “scary” for me “now”, i know its gettin to the Nitty Gritty & my next approach is second opinion time. The doctors at Kaiser Sunset is gunna be my first step, i will be calling here shortly, im just lettin them all get into work, drink some coffee & ill call to make an appointment..thanks again & i hope we can see you another 20+ years!..
            ed williams
            Participant

Hi Mike, I hope the link works that i will give you at the bottom, it features Dr. oMid Hamid of the Angeles Clinic. Not sure if you have to sign up or if it will ask you to sign up to see it, since I am always signing up for new sights to find new shit. At the 25min mark it gets interesting, it gets into OX-40, Lag-3, NKTR-214, Tils with LN-144 trial as well as some other drugs that they are looking at. Home you find it helpful. Ed http://www.oncologytube.com/video/immunotherapy-in-melanoma-what-s-up-next/10003438?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium=socialmedia&utm_campaign=moasc-oncology-summit

SABKLYN
              Participant

Hi Mike – I think Ed has provided some interesting potential options.  IL-2 is not used much anymore and if you're on it, has to  be done in a facility that knows how to manage patients receiving this treatment.  IT's a pretty rough tretment from what I have read and produces a complete response in 12-15% of people taking it.  Talk to your onc and discuss fully including side effects, etc.  DO the same for the other therapies and combos.  Good luck, Mike!

Edwin
                Participant

Mike,

You might consider continuing Opdivo immunotherapy and request a December PET/CT scan.   Only one of your tumors grew.  You might consider radiation to that tumor.  You may be responding slowly to immunotherapy.

My tumor grew a little between April and September.  I continue to receive Opdivo immunotherapy and will have a PET/CT scan around December to check on that tumor.

MelanomaMike
                  Participant
                    Edwin, Sab & Ed W., you all are awesome & Thank You for writing & giving me a some Tools for my Tool Box! Im gunna pull up those Links/Videos on my computer (im on my phone usually) & research them. Edwin brought up a good point, if the other tumors are quote “stable” hello! Lets continue with Nivo & ZAP the Big sucker & move on! I will bring that up if it “isnt” during my 2nd opinion meeting…love ya guys…
                      iskitwo
                      Participant

I was thinking the same thing. Stable would be a move in the right direction and maybe the opdivo needs a little more time.  If you only have one that is still a problem then what would be the options to treat the stubborn one….. Radiation, BRAF….

Edwin
                      Participant

The Mayo Clinic and Sanford Roger Maris Cancer Center use PET scans to evaluate the effectiveness of melanoma treatments. Some other health systems save money by not doing PET scans.   A PET scan with CT costs less than one 240 mg infusion of Opdivo and provides more information just a CT scan does.  Since a PET scan does not show brain cancer, brain MRIs are also necessary.

lkb
                        Participant

Nothing knowledgeable to add, but wishing you all the best and a thorough second opinion real soon.

CindyJ
                          Participant

Hi Mike,

Have any of your tumors been tested for the exact mutation? My mom, stage 4, did and found she has the mutation CCND1 and was put in the trial study called TAPUR (country wide). She is taking a breast cancer drug called Ibrance specifically for the mutation. It has worked. She is currently NED. I wish you all the best! 

Viewing 8 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics