The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Hypophysitis and resulting prolactin levels?

Forums General Melanoma Community Hypophysitis and resulting prolactin levels?

Participant

Has anyone with hypophysitis from Ipi/Yervoy had their prolactin levels checked afterward?

My prolactin levels are normal from a test done today (8 was my result and the range is 1-17). I don’t believe that I am supplementing them in any way (does another gland besides the pituitary produce some prolactin?) so it may mean that my pituitary is doing something instead of nothing after hypophisitis.

I’m not getting my hopes up but I would really like it if my pituitary starts producing cortisol again someday. The ups and down of the short half-life of cortisol replacement medications have me wishing for a slow release solution (for example, thyroxine is good. It doesn’t have highs and lows but instead is released over time). By the way, my cortisol came back as too low to measure for the second time today even though I’m taking 20mg of cortisone. Going to get that worked out before starting Pembro on Monday.

Wishing you all the best.

Danny

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        MovingOn
        Participant

Turns out (after some further research) that normal prolactin levels are expected after hypophysitis. During hypophysitis the prolactin levels will rise significantly. But after hypophysitis is resolved the prolactin levels will go back to normal. So this doesn’t have any significance to the potential of other pituitary hormone production to return (which I know it most likely will not return, but that is fine).

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics