The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Husband stage 4 12 years after stage 2b negative node biopsy

Forums General Melanoma Community Husband stage 4 12 years after stage 2b negative node biopsy

Participant

Hi all, so sorry to be back. My husbands first diagnosis in 2001 brought me to the board and I

was on often, but over the years I really felt it was OK. He had a chest xray with us thinking

he had bronchitis/pneumonia (coughing, hoarse) and they found a 3.8 x 3.4 lung mass and

several nodules. Also scattered masses over abdomen. They did a biopsy of the lung mass and

found it positive for melanoma. We have an oncologist appt Wednesday. I am terrified. He is 58

Hi all, so sorry to be back. My husbands first diagnosis in 2001 brought me to the board and I

was on often, but over the years I really felt it was OK. He had a chest xray with us thinking

he had bronchitis/pneumonia (coughing, hoarse) and they found a 3.8 x 3.4 lung mass and

several nodules. Also scattered masses over abdomen. They did a biopsy of the lung mass and

found it positive for melanoma. We have an oncologist appt Wednesday. I am terrified. He is 58

we have one daughter age 20, we went to her college yesterday and told her, but downplayed it

so as to not worry her. I am so scared because he seems so sick and because of the stomach.

I have a call in to Sylvester Center in Miami as well where he went the first time – he did a year of

interferon then. But the oncologist has a good reputation as well so I guess we will start there. I

imagine they will do a brain ct to check for brain mets? Primary says they will probably remove

lung mass via surgery. I have a list of questions – what about liver, is he braf positive, ive read

about yervoy and ipi which sound promising. I just want to stop crying. I know I need to be strong.

Thanks for any advice. He is 58 fit and healthy otherwise..

Vicki his loving wife

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        WendyPam
        Participant

Hi Vicki,

I'm sorry  to read about your husband. Being that it looks like your in Florida. Without a doubt I would call Dr. Weber's offfice at Moffit Cancer Center in Tampa at the University of South Florida right away. So much hadsimproved since 2001 and Dr. Webster is one of the best Melanoma Dr's in the country.  You will see his name mentioed all of the boards. I would get an appointment with him right away.  Hopefully someone will post his direct office number.

All my best,

Wendy

H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute
          12902 Magnolia Drive
          Tampa, FL 33612

Phone: 1-888-MOFFITT (1-888-663-3488)

Moffitt Cancer Center Switchboard:
          813-745-4673 or 800-456-3434

WendyPam
            Participant

Vikki,

Since your husband is young and in good shape. Take a second and do an internet google search on a patient named, TJ.  He has a blog called, Patient #1. (just put in patient #1 and his blog should come up)  He's from Florida and a patient of Dr. Weber's. He is doing Chemo, TIL, IL2 and Yervoy all at the same time. This is why he's named Patient #1. I'm not saying what your husbands treatment plan would be, but I just want to show you how many new and promising treatment options are available since 2001. It's amazing!!!  Try to take a deep breath and reach out to Moffitt.

Regards,

Wendy

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/patient1/Patient-1.html

randallgford
              Participant

Thank you so much for the reply. I will contact Moffitt first thing in the morning.

I had put a call into Sylvester Center at UM Miami but didnt hear anything yet.

We did visit Moffit the first go-around and were very impressed with their facility.

randallgford
                Participant

Thank you so much for the reply. I will contact Moffitt first thing in the morning.

We did visit Moffit the first go-around and were very impressed with their facility.

randallgford
                  Participant

WendyPam
                    Participant

Vikki,

Since your husband is young and in good shape. Take a second and do an internet google search on a patient named, TJ.  He has a blog called, Patient #1. (just put in patient #1 and his blog should come up)  He's from Florida and a patient of Dr. Weber's. He is doing Chemo, TIL, IL2 and Yervoy all at the same time. This is why he's named Patient #1. I'm not saying what your husbands treatment plan would be, but I just want to show you how many new and promising treatment options are available since 2001. It's amazing!!!  Try to take a deep breath and reach out to Moffitt.

Regards,

Wendy

WendyPam
                      Participant

Vikki,

Regards,

Wendy

WendyPam
                      Participant

Hi Vicki,

I'm sorry  to read about your husband. Being that it looks like your in Florida. Without a doubt I would call Dr. Weber's offfice at Moffit Cancer Center in Tampa at the University of South Florida right away. So much hadsimproved since 2001 and Dr. Webster is one of the best Melanoma Dr's in the country.  You will see his name mentioed all of the boards. I would get an appointment with him right away.  Hopefully someone will post his direct office number.

All my best,

Wendy

12902 Magnolia Drive
                        Tampa, FL 33612

WendyPam
                        Participant

Hi Vicki,

All my best,

Wendy

12902 Magnolia Drive
                          Tampa, FL 33612

Charlie S
                          Participant

What follows may seem offensive to you and others; but I am not good at hand wringing, whispering with hushed voices all the while ignoring the obvious.

That said.  Your husband has advanced melanoma.  Unique to him is now that it t is presenting 12 years later.

Know this: it does happen.

Know this too:  It is not the end of the world.

It could be, but that is a thought alone and is often based in fear and not fact.

Just my own observation, but people who recurr later sometimes live longer..

This is not meant to blow smoke up your rear end, but rather to say that the longer to recurr sometimes means longer to live,

Not always, but sometimes.

And when it seems the end of the world is near, not always but soetimes is just enough.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                            Participant

What follows may seem offensive to you and others; but I am not good at hand wringing, whispering with hushed voices all the while ignoring the obvious.

That said.  Your husband has advanced melanoma.  Unique to him is now that it t is presenting 12 years later.

It could be, but that is a thought alone and is often based in fear and not fact.

This is not meant to blow smoke up your rear end, but rather to say that the longer to recurr sometimes means longer to live,

And when it seems the end of the world is near, not always but soetimes is just enough.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                              Participant

Cheers,

Charlie S

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics