The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Humira for joint pain?

Forums General Melanoma Community Humira for joint pain?

Participant

Hi friends

has anyone used humira for joints and inflammation?

My rheumatologist is suggesting it now after my CRP count got to 35. (Normal range 0-5)

thanks

anne-Louise 

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        mandyjill
        Participant

i've heard Humira it's pretty rough stuff.  I had a lot of joint, bone and muscle pain from my immunotherapy treatments.  My doctor put me on prednisone and it pretty much took care of it.

kentuckycat
          Participant

Hi Anne-Louise – I am currently being treated with Keytruda and have had knee and ankle swelling, stiffness and pain to the point of needing crutches to get around.  My rheumetologist suggested Humira, but my oncologist receommended against it.  He believes Humira will hurt the efficacy of Keytruda so I opted against using it.  I am currently on prednisone and it does help some with the knees/ankles.  I don't like the side effects of the steroids, but it does help me get around.  So, to answer your question, I have not used Humira.  However, I just wanted to let you know that my oncologist advised against it, but my rheumetologist wanted me to try it. I wish you the best!

kst
            Participant

My rheumatologist at MDA gave me the option of Humira injections at home or Infliximab IV monthly at hospital.  Was told both would work equally well.  Started with Infliximab for month but CRP still above 110 and joint pain and swelling returns unless on high dose steroids.  Oncologist doesnt seem to mind Humira for short term usage but will transfer me to Actemra if not under complete control in about 3 months.  

aldrichdesigner
                Participant
                  If you haven’t tried Prednisone to treat your joint pain then I highly recommend it. It was the only thing the doc could get to work on my joint pain. Granted we did not try Humira, I felt comfortable trying Prednisone as many on the board use it. I’m on a relatively low dose and don’t experience side effects but I could see if someone is taking a lot. I’m only prescribed 10 mg so not a lot but it was just enough to do the trick.
                  kst
                  Participant

Unfortunately, I am way past prednisone.  The lowest dose I could survive on after my AE's was 125mg daily given by IV.  Was able to taper steroids completely after I was given infliximab.  Was told by docs RFS decreased among patients stuck above 5mg prednisone daily if needed long term

Susanne

kst
                    Participant

Inliximab wears off after about a month though

Jubes
                    Participant

Thanks everyone for your advice. I finished keytruda in August 2015 and did infliximab for 6 months. My tumor in lung increased in size in that time and I had it removed. So now I am 2 years NED. I was on prednisone for a year and I think the docs don’t want me on it forever so that’s why I am thinking of trying Humira if my next scan in October is clear. I have to have fluids drained from my knee regularly and steroid injections to my knee and shoulder. I can live like this although the pain makes me cranky, and I might have to stop working, but my oncologist and rheumatologist both think the risks of Humira are worth it now… hard decision. 

Mat
                      Participant

Anne-Louise, I don't have any advice, but I am in the same/similar boat.  Struggling to stay below 10mg prednisone.  I get decent relief with methotrexate (max dose) for arthritis.  I've now developed hip bursitis and the methotrexate is ineffective for that.  Next step for me is steroid shots to the hips.  I also use Aleve, though trying to avoid long term due to GI.  If you find the answer, please let me know!

Viewing 4 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics