The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How many people here with melanoma also have red hair, blue eyes and have fair complexion?

Forums General Melanoma Community How many people here with melanoma also have red hair, blue eyes and have fair complexion?

Participant

How many people here with melanoma also  have red hair, blue eyes and have fair complexion? Just curious about how many actually fit the stereotype for high risk of melanoma. I have read it has something to do the with melatonin. Thank you

How many people here with melanoma also  have red hair, blue eyes and have fair complexion? Just curious about how many actually fit the stereotype for high risk of melanoma. I have read it has something to do the with melatonin. Thank you

Viewing 49 reply threads
    • Replies
        dian in spokane
        Participant

I have red hair, fair skin, and green eyes.

LynnLuc
            Participant

these days I think my skin is red and my hair is blue…but yep red hair, blue eyes and white skin that freckles up in the sun

LynnLuc
              Participant

these days I think my skin is red and my hair is blue…but yep red hair, blue eyes and white skin that freckles up in the sun

dian in spokane
              Participant

I have red hair, fair skin, and green eyes.

lhaley
                Participant

reddish hair, fair skin and green eyes

Linda

lhaley
                  Participant

reddish hair, fair skin and green eyes

Linda

Jan in OC
                    Participant

My husband has red hair, blue eyes and fair skin also!

(so does my daughter, so I tell her to be aware of the risk)

Jan (wife to Dirk, stage IV)

Jan in OC
                      Participant

My husband has red hair, blue eyes and fair skin also!

(so does my daughter, so I tell her to be aware of the risk)

Jan (wife to Dirk, stage IV)

BethA in VA
                        Participant

Yep…red hair, blue eyes, pale skin.  Never liked being in the sun and have never been in a tanning bed.   Didn't know you could be in the sun and not get burned…till I learned the hard way!

BethA in VA
                          Participant

Yep…red hair, blue eyes, pale skin.  Never liked being in the sun and have never been in a tanning bed.   Didn't know you could be in the sun and not get burned…till I learned the hard way!

jag
                            Participant

dad is a red head, and so is my sister.  Both always sunburned and no melanoma.  

Dad hasn't used sunscreen his whole life and still refuses-he does work outside all the time though. 

I never used a tanning booth, and don't plan on starring in MTV's Jersey Shore.

jag
                              Participant

dad is a red head, and so is my sister.  Both always sunburned and no melanoma.  

Dad hasn't used sunscreen his whole life and still refuses-he does work outside all the time though. 

I never used a tanning booth, and don't plan on starring in MTV's Jersey Shore.

bcl
                                Participant

Strawberry blonde, blue eyes, burned until I learned to hide. No tanning beds, but I probably would have as a teen if they'd been a prevalent as they are now.  Got a bit fed up with being teased about my pale skin  (and beat up for that matter).  I'm Irish and hear there's a celtic gene mutation.

bcl
                                  Participant

Strawberry blonde, blue eyes, burned until I learned to hide. No tanning beds, but I probably would have as a teen if they'd been a prevalent as they are now.  Got a bit fed up with being teased about my pale skin  (and beat up for that matter).  I'm Irish and hear there's a celtic gene mutation.

leni currie
                                    Participant

Husband had dark reddsih hair and all freckled except where the sun doesn't shine, his mother was the same, 2 cousins light hair, daughter of one of the cousins – light, daughter of mother 's cousin light – all have the freckled skin – so all 6 in the family with melanoma are reddsih, light and freckled.

leni currie
                                      Participant

Husband had dark reddsih hair and all freckled except where the sun doesn't shine, his mother was the same, 2 cousins light hair, daughter of one of the cousins – light, daughter of mother 's cousin light – all have the freckled skin – so all 6 in the family with melanoma are reddsih, light and freckled.

SaraJ
                                        Participant

That would be me! Red hair, blue eyes, very fair skin. Stage IIIa

SaraJ
                                          Participant

That would be me! Red hair, blue eyes, very fair skin. Stage IIIa

akls
                                            Participant

Red hair, hazel eyes, freckled skin all over!  That's me.  Good friend in hight school also diagnosed red hair, blue eyes, freckled all over.  Wish we knew then what we know now.  I only used a tanning bed once in my life, but I laid out all summer with very little sunscreen.  The only way I would tan was to burn first. STUPID!!!

Amy S. in Micihgan

akls
                                              Participant

Red hair, hazel eyes, freckled skin all over!  That's me.  Good friend in hight school also diagnosed red hair, blue eyes, freckled all over.  Wish we knew then what we know now.  I only used a tanning bed once in my life, but I laid out all summer with very little sunscreen.  The only way I would tan was to burn first. STUPID!!!

Amy S. in Micihgan

Carmon in NM
                                                Participant

My grandfather was a black Irish immigrant – black hair, white skin, blue eyes. I got medium brown hair, white skin and blue eyes just like my mother. Our maternal grandmother was Welsh. German on my father's side with fair skin, blonde hair and blue eyes. I am the only one in a family of five with four adult grandchildren all with very fair skin who ended up with skin cancer of any kind. 

Carmon in NM
                                                  Participant

My grandfather was a black Irish immigrant – black hair, white skin, blue eyes. I got medium brown hair, white skin and blue eyes just like my mother. Our maternal grandmother was Welsh. German on my father's side with fair skin, blonde hair and blue eyes. I am the only one in a family of five with four adult grandchildren all with very fair skin who ended up with skin cancer of any kind. 

W.
                                                    Participant

Found this sentence in a 2003 study:

Compared with women who had dark brown or black hair, women with blond hair had an approximately twofold higher risk of melanoma, whereas women with red hair had an approximately fourfold higher risk.

http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/95/20/1530.full

And in a 1996 study:

Red and blonde hair were more common among cases than controls, with a significant increase in risk of melanoma for persons with red hair (OR 2.5, 95% CI 1.5-4.2 relative to dark brown hair). Cases were more likely to have blue eyes than brown eyes, but the association with blue eyes was not significant (OR 1.6, 95% CI 0.8-3.3 relative to brown eyes).

W.
                                                      Participant

Found this sentence in a 2003 study:

Compared with women who had dark brown or black hair, women with blond hair had an approximately twofold higher risk of melanoma, whereas women with red hair had an approximately fourfold higher risk.

http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/95/20/1530.full

And in a 1996 study:

Red and blonde hair were more common among cases than controls, with a significant increase in risk of melanoma for persons with red hair (OR 2.5, 95% CI 1.5-4.2 relative to dark brown hair). Cases were more likely to have blue eyes than brown eyes, but the association with blue eyes was not significant (OR 1.6, 95% CI 0.8-3.3 relative to brown eyes).

triciad
                                                        Participant

Red hair, fair skin, lots of freckles, and hazel eyes!  Never a sun worshipper, but I went to Florida every summer as a kid.  Back then you had 3 choices to protect yourself:  sea and ski, coppertone, and stay indoors.  No such thing as SPF.  Definitely had my share of burns…even from the car ride down!

It might be interesting to do our own study.  Perhaps create a survey for all interested patients to fill out and put all data into a spreadsheet.  Characteristics like hair color, eye color, skin type, stage, location of initial tumor, ulcerated, nodes involved, recurrence, treatments, etc.  Of course it might be skewed considering most people on the board are at more advanced stages…but we could see some trends.  Let me know if anyone is interested.  I'll be happy to create the form and enter the data.

Best to all for a 2011 filled with love, laughter, and prosperity…and melanoma free!!!!!!!!

Tricia

triciad
                                                          Participant

Red hair, fair skin, lots of freckles, and hazel eyes!  Never a sun worshipper, but I went to Florida every summer as a kid.  Back then you had 3 choices to protect yourself:  sea and ski, coppertone, and stay indoors.  No such thing as SPF.  Definitely had my share of burns…even from the car ride down!

It might be interesting to do our own study.  Perhaps create a survey for all interested patients to fill out and put all data into a spreadsheet.  Characteristics like hair color, eye color, skin type, stage, location of initial tumor, ulcerated, nodes involved, recurrence, treatments, etc.  Of course it might be skewed considering most people on the board are at more advanced stages…but we could see some trends.  Let me know if anyone is interested.  I'll be happy to create the form and enter the data.

Best to all for a 2011 filled with love, laughter, and prosperity…and melanoma free!!!!!!!!

Tricia

Sharyn
                                                            Participant

Now my hair is grey, thanks to my age and a few doses of radiation, so it's dyed blonde. But as a child, my hair was strawberry blonde. My eyes are blue, and my skin is fair and freckled. Never had a tan in my life, but as a teen and young adult, I always tried to get that elusive tan, and always ending up with a burn. Dumb, or what? I had to laugh when I read that ipi causes vertiligo, because I can't get any whiter than i already am! LOL!!!

Sharyn, Stage IV

Sharyn
                                                              Participant

Now my hair is grey, thanks to my age and a few doses of radiation, so it's dyed blonde. But as a child, my hair was strawberry blonde. My eyes are blue, and my skin is fair and freckled. Never had a tan in my life, but as a teen and young adult, I always tried to get that elusive tan, and always ending up with a burn. Dumb, or what? I had to laugh when I read that ipi causes vertiligo, because I can't get any whiter than i already am! LOL!!!

Sharyn, Stage IV

nicoli
                                                                Participant

Light brown hair, blue eyes and very fair skin. My hair used to have a reddish tint in the right light.  I used to TRY to tan but very seldom got any change in skin color. Probably had fewer sunburns than most people I knew.

More freckles as I grew older. Uneven skin tone, especially on my arms and face, began in my 40s.

My sister, who fried herself and got very tan, developed basal cell skin cancer and was cured with minor surgery.  I have deliberately tried to stay OUT of the sun (especially since early 1970s when I first heard about skin cancer and sun exposure) and I got melanoma.

I grew up in the midwest, no beaches, no tropical vacations, no tanning beds, no sun lotion (except baby oil). Just lots of outdoor play in the sunshine and fresh air. Who would have thought!

Nicoli, stage 3b

nicoli
                                                                  Participant

Light brown hair, blue eyes and very fair skin. My hair used to have a reddish tint in the right light.  I used to TRY to tan but very seldom got any change in skin color. Probably had fewer sunburns than most people I knew.

More freckles as I grew older. Uneven skin tone, especially on my arms and face, began in my 40s.

My sister, who fried herself and got very tan, developed basal cell skin cancer and was cured with minor surgery.  I have deliberately tried to stay OUT of the sun (especially since early 1970s when I first heard about skin cancer and sun exposure) and I got melanoma.

I grew up in the midwest, no beaches, no tropical vacations, no tanning beds, no sun lotion (except baby oil). Just lots of outdoor play in the sunshine and fresh air. Who would have thought!

Nicoli, stage 3b

Rick from NC
                                                                    Participant

Red hair, blue eyes, pale skin, lots of freckles when I was young, plenty of sunburns growing up, followed by basal cell carcinomas, and finally melanoma.  If I'd protected my skin during my first 30 years as I have the last 25, maybe I could have avoided the melanoma.

Rick from NC
                                                                      Participant

Red hair, blue eyes, pale skin, lots of freckles when I was young, plenty of sunburns growing up, followed by basal cell carcinomas, and finally melanoma.  If I'd protected my skin during my first 30 years as I have the last 25, maybe I could have avoided the melanoma.

I do not have red hair or blond hair, it is light brown.   My skin is fair but not ghost white.  I used to tan very dark in the summer and I don't remember any sunburns that were severe.  I know my skin got pink in the first days of sun but nothing that sticks in my memory.  I grew up in the hot sun in eastern Washington, lots of time on the Snake River and working in the apple orchards where I was exposed extensively to the hot sun.  No one knew what sunscreen was back then.  When sunscreen came out in the 80's I became an advocate for it's use and talked to my family about it all the time.  It's rather ironic that I am the one with the melanoma since I am the one who preached "sunscreen…"   Too late by then though I guess. 

Shelly stage IV

Roche Braf trial since June 14, 2010

I do not have red hair or blond hair, it is light brown.   My skin is fair but not ghost white.  I used to tan very dark in the summer and I don't remember any sunburns that were severe.  I know my skin got pink in the first days of sun but nothing that sticks in my memory.  I grew up in the hot sun in eastern Washington, lots of time on the Snake River and working in the apple orchards where I was exposed extensively to the hot sun.  No one knew what sunscreen was back then.  When sunscreen came out in the 80's I became an advocate for it's use and talked to my family about it all the time.  It's rather ironic that I am the one with the melanoma since I am the one who preached "sunscreen…"   Too late by then though I guess. 

Shelly stage IV

Roche Braf trial since June 14, 2010

JewelryCrafterGirl
                                                                        Participant

I have red hair, hazel eyes and pale skin tone.

Nancy
                                                                            Participant

My husband, Buddy, had red hair, but I think the best thing is early detection – red heads seem to to fairer skin, probably need to see derm. 2x year…

Nancy
                                                                              Participant

My husband, Buddy, had red hair, but I think the best thing is early detection – red heads seem to to fairer skin, probably need to see derm. 2x year…

JewelryCrafterGirl
                                                                              Participant

I have red hair, hazel eyes and pale skin tone.

djpayn
                                                                                Participant

my skin is fair with freckles, eyes are brown (mom said cuz im full of shit, lol) and my hair was read ..then an auburn color..now its mostly brown… i have no idea how the hair colors changed over the years…. but i was never a sun-worshiper. however, growing up in florida and having a pool in the backyard, i can remember getting so burned as a child that my skin  would peel off in thick chunks that bled. 

thats me…. melanoma IIIc….. and holding!!

djpayn
                                                                                  Participant

my skin is fair with freckles, eyes are brown (mom said cuz im full of shit, lol) and my hair was read ..then an auburn color..now its mostly brown… i have no idea how the hair colors changed over the years…. but i was never a sun-worshiper. however, growing up in florida and having a pool in the backyard, i can remember getting so burned as a child that my skin  would peel off in thick chunks that bled. 

thats me…. melanoma IIIc….. and holding!!

MaryMary73
                                                                                    Participant

Dark brown hair, hazel brown eyes, fair skin. No family history (of melanoma or any other cancer). Plenty of beauty marks but no moles. No tanning beds. A few sunburns in my past (3 on the front of my scalp and one on the back of my legs) but generally I prefer to stay out of the sun cause I'm not a fan of sweating. No major tanning sessions out in the sun. Was undergoing fertility treatments so my melanoma may have brought on by hormones but who knows. I don't fit the classic melanoma profile in my opinion.

Maria, Stage 1 NED

MaryMary73
                                                                                      Participant

Dark brown hair, hazel brown eyes, fair skin. No family history (of melanoma or any other cancer). Plenty of beauty marks but no moles. No tanning beds. A few sunburns in my past (3 on the front of my scalp and one on the back of my legs) but generally I prefer to stay out of the sun cause I'm not a fan of sweating. No major tanning sessions out in the sun. Was undergoing fertility treatments so my melanoma may have brought on by hormones but who knows. I don't fit the classic melanoma profile in my opinion.

Maria, Stage 1 NED

michelleg
                                                                                        Participant

Blond hair, blue eyes, fair skin……..some sunburns as a child but not a "sun worshipper".  I am 41 years old  and do not remember much about SPF in my childhood years.

michelleg
                                                                                          Participant

Blond hair, blue eyes, fair skin……..some sunburns as a child but not a "sun worshipper".  I am 41 years old  and do not remember much about SPF in my childhood years.

Gracie
                                                                                            Participant

I have auburn hair, fair skin, brown eyes.  I avoided the sun as a child then discovered the beaches as an adult. I even conditioned in the tanning beds before a vacation each year. 

Gracie
                                                                                              Participant

I have auburn hair, fair skin, brown eyes.  I avoided the sun as a child then discovered the beaches as an adult. I even conditioned in the tanning beds before a vacation each year. 

Joan
                                                                                                Participant

Light brown, reddish highlights. A zillion freckles, hazel eyes. Irish/Scottish decent.

I am from the "baby oil" generation. Pale skin was always out. When I was a kid, I thought the more sun, the more my freckles would all blend together and make a big tan. yes, i am the poster child.

Joan

Joan
                                                                                                  Participant

Light brown, reddish highlights. A zillion freckles, hazel eyes. Irish/Scottish decent.

I am from the "baby oil" generation. Pale skin was always out. When I was a kid, I thought the more sun, the more my freckles would all blend together and make a big tan. yes, i am the poster child.

Joan

T.SoCal
                                                                                                    Participant

Yep, Red hair, green eyes, fair skin!

Been reading the board since my diagnosis, finally decided to join. Thank you for all the information I have gained here.

T.SoCal
                                                                                                      Participant

Yep, Red hair, green eyes, fair skin!

Been reading the board since my diagnosis, finally decided to join. Thank you for all the information I have gained here.

kateboston
                                                                                                        Participant

Light brown hair, blue eyes, and fair, freckled skin. I had some pretty good burns as a kid & back then the only reason to avoid a sunburn was b/c it hurt, not b/c it could cause cancer!

kateboston
                                                                                                          Participant

Light brown hair, blue eyes, and fair, freckled skin. I had some pretty good burns as a kid & back then the only reason to avoid a sunburn was b/c it hurt, not b/c it could cause cancer!

NancyGM
                                                                                                            Participant

Irish, red hair, fair and freckled, green eyes….have you heard that red-heads are dying out? Interesting lore about our tribe: We have a lower tolerance to extremes of temperture. We supposedly are more difficult to put under (said an anesthesiologist to my dermotologist). I have heard from a midwife and a tatoo artist that we are bleeders…interesting stuff!

LynnLuc
                                                                                                                Participant

Yep and I also learned in Biology class that it takes 2 dominate red hair genes..one from mom and one from dad or red hair can't happen…go figure…we are oh so special! My kids didn't get red hair..two were mousy brown and two were toe heads…blonde white. But the mousey brown (daughter) gave me a handsome little red headed grand son and the other mousy brown (son) gave me a handsome toe headedgrand son!

LynnLuc
                                                                                                                  Participant

Yep and I also learned in Biology class that it takes 2 dominate red hair genes..one from mom and one from dad or red hair can't happen…go figure…we are oh so special! My kids didn't get red hair..two were mousy brown and two were toe heads…blonde white. But the mousey brown (daughter) gave me a handsome little red headed grand son and the other mousy brown (son) gave me a handsome toe headedgrand son!

NancyGM
                                                                                                                  Participant

Irish, red hair, fair and freckled, green eyes….have you heard that red-heads are dying out? Interesting lore about our tribe: We have a lower tolerance to extremes of temperture. We supposedly are more difficult to put under (said an anesthesiologist to my dermotologist). I have heard from a midwife and a tatoo artist that we are bleeders…interesting stuff!

Viewing 49 reply threads
                                                                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics