The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How long does it take to get CT Scan read?

Forums General Melanoma Community How long does it take to get CT Scan read?

Participant

I've been waiting days. Kaiser SoCal usually takes a day or two or three, but are now making me wait over a week. Do they not understand that this is torture? Does anyone else have these issues?

Roxanne

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        CHD
        Participant

I have heard it called scanxiety.  That's exactly what it feels like it.   It's awful.  I usually have to wait more than a week for my results and my doctors insist on giving me the results in person, even when negative. 

CHD
          Participant

I have heard it called scanxiety.  That's exactly what it feels like it.   It's awful.  I usually have to wait more than a week for my results and my doctors insist on giving me the results in person, even when negative. 

CHD
            Participant

BrianP
              Participant

Democrat,

I'm usually not the squeaky wheel but when it comes to scan results I am.  There's no reason why you shouldn't know your results within 48 hours.  A simple phone call from the doctor, good or bad,  is all it takes.  I recommend you let your oncologist know your desire to be notified by phone as soon as possible and insist upon it.  You are the customer and he is there to serve you, not vice versa.  I'm a firm believe that stress is not good for the immune system so there is no reason to cause undue stress for a week.

Brian

BrianP
                Participant

Democrat,

I'm usually not the squeaky wheel but when it comes to scan results I am.  There's no reason why you shouldn't know your results within 48 hours.  A simple phone call from the doctor, good or bad,  is all it takes.  I recommend you let your oncologist know your desire to be notified by phone as soon as possible and insist upon it.  You are the customer and he is there to serve you, not vice versa.  I'm a firm believe that stress is not good for the immune system so there is no reason to cause undue stress for a week.

Brian

BrianP
                  Participant

Democrat,

Brian

Mom2Addy
                    Participant

I wholeheartedly agree with Brian. I am the bull dog on my husband's behalf and I call multiple times until I get the results over the phone and the findings faced to me. I'm so sorry that you have to wait, it's so difficult. Prayers for good results. 

Mom2Addy
                      Participant

I wholeheartedly agree with Brian. I am the bull dog on my husband's behalf and I call multiple times until I get the results over the phone and the findings faced to me. I'm so sorry that you have to wait, it's so difficult. Prayers for good results. 

Mom2Addy
                        Participant

SABKLYN
                          Participant

I just had my 6 month scan and check-up. As usual,  I received my scan at about 10:30 am.  By the time I see my doc at 12:30, he can give he a quick summary.  1-2 days afterward I receive the detailed report.  What you're sharing seems excessive.

SABKLYN
                            Participant

I just had my 6 month scan and check-up. As usual,  I received my scan at about 10:30 am.  By the time I see my doc at 12:30, he can give he a quick summary.  1-2 days afterward I receive the detailed report.  What you're sharing seems excessive.

SABKLYN
                              Participant

Colleen66
                                Participant

I also get mine same day.  Scans first, then labs, then Doc.  We review it all at the appt.

Colleen

Colleen66
                                  Participant

I also get mine same day.  Scans first, then labs, then Doc.  We review it all at the appt.

Colleen

Colleen66
                                    Participant

Colleen

jbronicki
                                      Participant

Hi Roxanne,

That's a pretty long time, can't imagine the stress.  My husband goes to MD Anderson every 3 months and he gets his scans in the morning and then we meet with oncologist in afternoon and have the verbal results that day.  Something more official usually goes into his chart within a week or so, but we get the main results the day of the scans. 

Good luck and hope you get the results ASAP.

Best,

Jackie

jbronicki
                                        Participant

Hi Roxanne,

That's a pretty long time, can't imagine the stress.  My husband goes to MD Anderson every 3 months and he gets his scans in the morning and then we meet with oncologist in afternoon and have the verbal results that day.  Something more official usually goes into his chart within a week or so, but we get the main results the day of the scans. 

Best,

Jackie

jbronicki
                                          Participant

Hi Roxanne,

Best,

Jackie

CHD
                                            Participant

This must vary by location because everyone I know waits a week or more and receives their scan results in person.  Interesting.  I have called and tried to be pushy to obtain the results over the phone sooner and always am met with a nursing/MA/reception staff who patiently (or not so patiently) informs me that I have to wait until my appointment.  This is exactly the same amount of time I have to wait on pathology results, whether from my surgeon or my dermatologist.  I guess squeaky wheel does not work where I am!   Is there a trick to this?!

CHD
                                              Participant

This must vary by location because everyone I know waits a week or more and receives their scan results in person.  Interesting.  I have called and tried to be pushy to obtain the results over the phone sooner and always am met with a nursing/MA/reception staff who patiently (or not so patiently) informs me that I have to wait until my appointment.  This is exactly the same amount of time I have to wait on pathology results, whether from my surgeon or my dermatologist.  I guess squeaky wheel does not work where I am!   Is there a trick to this?!

BrianP
                                                  Participant

I don't know anonymous.  I do think a lot of hospitals are concerned with customer satisfaction so I think elevating your displeasure with the scan results policy may go a long way.  Most hospitals have surveys or complaint forms and if neither of those apply a letter to the Hospital administration may be order.  I think I would first talk to my oncologist and be as persuasive as possible.

BrianP
                                                    Participant

I don't know anonymous.  I do think a lot of hospitals are concerned with customer satisfaction so I think elevating your displeasure with the scan results policy may go a long way.  Most hospitals have surveys or complaint forms and if neither of those apply a letter to the Hospital administration may be order.  I think I would first talk to my oncologist and be as persuasive as possible.

CHD
                                                      Participant

I always wait a week or two and it drives me batty.  My oncologist likes me, too!  Her staff always tells me I am one of their favorite patients, but still I wait forever.  I wonder if it is larger hospital = more radiologists = quicker results?  I will have to ask them about this.

CHD
                                                        Participant

I always wait a week or two and it drives me batty.  My oncologist likes me, too!  Her staff always tells me I am one of their favorite patients, but still I wait forever.  I wonder if it is larger hospital = more radiologists = quicker results?  I will have to ask them about this.

CHD
                                                          Participant

BrianP
                                                            Participant

CHD
                                                            Participant

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics