The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How fast can brain mets grow?

Forums General Melanoma Community How fast can brain mets grow?

Participant

Hi, 

Having quite a bit of scan-xiety today. Had my last brain MRI/CT around a month ago, next one is early next week. I have been having a very dull, though noticable constant headaches for the last few days. Does any one have any insight into exactly how quickly brain mets could double in volume?

Thanks!

Hi, 

Having quite a bit of scan-xiety today. Had my last brain MRI/CT around a month ago, next one is early next week. I have been having a very dull, though noticable constant headaches for the last few days. Does any one have any insight into exactly how quickly brain mets could double in volume?

Thanks!

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

You didn't say if you have had a brain met with the last scan.  

I was so afraid today when I had my last mri and thought of having double vision. It was edema and the tumor is still shrinking.  On the otherside I fb with someone who had a bad headache and speech issues.  He ended up with a huge brain tumor that they could not get it to stop bleeding.  His surgery was last night and he is doing well.

Each person has a different story but you do need to give more info.

Good luck,

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

I was so afraid today when I had my last mri and thought of having double vision. It was edema and the tumor is still shrinking.  On the otherside I fb with someone who had a bad headache and speech issues.  He ended up with a huge brain tumor that they could not get it to stop bleeding.  His surgery was last night and he is doing well.

Good luck,

Linda

benp
              Participant

Hi Linda, 

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, I do have 4 brain mets, all approx 5mm in size. I am quite sure it is nothing, but any anwers might be useful to many people.

Thanks again.

jag
                Participant

A few things affect the rate of growth of cancers.

1.  Mitotic rate: This is how fast cells are dividing, the higher it is, the faster a tumor will grow.

2.  Metastatic rate:  If there are a lot of metastases, the overall cell volume will increase volume and therefore pressure in the brain, 

I wish you the best of care during this difficult time.

John

jag
                  Participant

1.  Mitotic rate: This is how fast cells are dividing, the higher it is, the faster a tumor will grow.

2.  Metastatic rate:  If there are a lot of metastases, the overall cell volume will increase volume and therefore pressure in the brain, 

John

jag
                    Participant

John

benp
                      Participant

Hi Linda, 

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, I do have 4 brain mets, all approx 5mm in size. I am quite sure it is nothing, but any anwers might be useful to many people.

Thanks again.

benp
                        Participant

Hi Linda, 

Thanks again.

lhaley
                        Participant

Good luck,

Linda

Lisa13
                          Participant
                            If you had 4 brain mets a month ago, were they gamma knifed? You didn’t say what the treatment was after your first MRI, so it’s hard to know what this next MRI is all about. If you had gamma knife, headaches can mean edema which is quite normal. Terrible headaches can also mean brain mets, so if you still have those brain mets, this could explain headaches.

Brain mets can grow quickly but sometimes thy don’t. Several people have had 2 or more mets and they are still here beating the odds. Since your brain mets were small a month ago, ther was no reason why they couldn’t gamma knife them.

Don’t give up. I wish you the very best.

Lisa

Lisa13
                            Participant
                              If you had 4 brain mets a month ago, were they gamma knifed? You didn’t say what the treatment was after your first MRI, so it’s hard to know what this next MRI is all about. If you had gamma knife, headaches can mean edema which is quite normal. Terrible headaches can also mean brain mets, so if you still have those brain mets, this could explain headaches.

Brain mets can grow quickly but sometimes thy don’t. Several people have had 2 or more mets and they are still here beating the odds. Since your brain mets were small a month ago, ther was no reason why they couldn’t gamma knife them.

Lisa

Lisa13
                              Participant

Lisa

glewis923
                                Participant

Hey Anon.  Jag/John is correct, but growth rate & Vol. do not exclusively cause or not cause headaches or other associated head problems.  I have /had ?? many brain tumors-  all but 1 or 2 below 1 cm.   I started having dull headaches that became worse because the biggest tumor or necrotic area (they still aren't sure) started migrating or squeesing in 1 direction with a big edema.  The actual size of the tumor/spot didn't grow much at all, but the edema went wild in 1 direction.  Almost killed me 'cause i was too stupid to realize what was causing h-ache!  i thought it was just the after effects of SRS and WBR and nothing to worry about.  Onc. sent me for MRI ASAP the minute i told him, and probably saved my life.  Definatly get MRI ASAP…..Take Care,  Grady.

glewis923
                                  Participant

Hey Anon.  Jag/John is correct, but growth rate & Vol. do not exclusively cause or not cause headaches or other associated head problems.  I have /had ?? many brain tumors-  all but 1 or 2 below 1 cm.   I started having dull headaches that became worse because the biggest tumor or necrotic area (they still aren't sure) started migrating or squeesing in 1 direction with a big edema.  The actual size of the tumor/spot didn't grow much at all, but the edema went wild in 1 direction.  Almost killed me 'cause i was too stupid to realize what was causing h-ache!  i thought it was just the after effects of SRS and WBR and nothing to worry about.  Onc. sent me for MRI ASAP the minute i told him, and probably saved my life.  Definatly get MRI ASAP…..Take Care,  Grady.

glewis923
                                    Participant

glewis923
                                      Participant

glewis923
                                        Participant

jag
                                            Participant

Grady!!

Great to hear you are still kicking some butt.  You are going to make it buddy.

Hang in there.

John

jag
                                              Participant

Grady!!

Hang in there.

John

glewis923
                                                Participant

Thanks!  Must be on same brain-wave as i just noted your heroics in Lisa post.  I've got some decisions to make and would like your advice-  I'll post it t-morrow.  I'm dog-tired tonight.

Take Care-  Grady.

glewis923
                                                  Participant

Thanks!  Must be on same brain-wave as i just noted your heroics in Lisa post.  I've got some decisions to make and would like your advice-  I'll post it t-morrow.  I'm dog-tired tonight.

Take Care-  Grady.

glewis923
                                                    Participant

Take Care-  Grady.

jag
                                                      Participant

Grady!!

Hang in there.

John

glewis923
                                                      Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics