The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How do you test for BRAF?

Forums General Melanoma Community How do you test for BRAF?

Participant

Is the BRAF test a simple blood test? How do you test for it/?

Is the BRAF test a simple blood test? How do you test for it/?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        shellebrownies
        Participant

BRAF test has to come from a melanoma tumor tissue sample. I believe they have to isolate DNA from the tumor and then look for the BRAF genetic mutation. Usually takes 2-3 weeks to get the result, assuming they got a good, viable sample. 

In our case, my husband's original tumor sample didn't have have enough of what they need to process the BRAF. Luckily, since they had to take a sample from a liver lesion to verify his staging, they took another sample then. He did end up testing positive for this mutation.

If you have any measurable disease, I would highly recommend getting this test done. It's good information to have and can save you time later on if you need to choose medical trials.

Michelle, wife of Don

Hope Returning
            Participant

Thanks a lot for the information. It will be very usefull. Thanks a lot.

MichaelFL
              Participant

Make it clear you want to be tested for the BRAF V600E mutation.

There is also others such as V600K, V600D, V600R and more. Believe it or not, the wrong one has been done and time was wasted.

Michael

MichaelFL
                Participant

Make it clear you want to be tested for the BRAF V600E mutation.

There is also others such as V600K, V600D, V600R and more. Believe it or not, the wrong one has been done and time was wasted.

Michael

shellebrownies
                  Participant

Hey, Michael, I did not know that! What are the other ones for, do you know?

shellebrownies
                    Participant

Hey, Michael, I did not know that! What are the other ones for, do you know?

MichaelFL
                      Participant

I hope this does not confuse you, but here it is in a nutshell:

In relation to BRAF: Codons 595-600 of Exon 15 of the BRAF proto-oncogene are usually checked as it is the most common area for the mutation, and #600 is usually called the “hot spot” as that is where they mostly occur. (In the study below, exon 11 was also tested)

In relation to NRAS: Exons 2 and 3 may be checked, and Codons 12, 13 and 61, (61 is also most common area) are usually tested.

Here are some of the more common ones. Out of 90 melanoma samples that were analyzed in a study, 85 came back with results. It also included NRAS and KIT.

BRAF—Exon 15:

V600E 60 of 90 (amount of 90 positive)

V600K 5 of 90

V600R 1 of 90

BRAF—Exon 11:

G469A 1 of 90

NRAS—Exon 3:

Q61K 5 of 90

Q61L 2 of 90

Q61R 5 of 90

NRAS—Exon 2:

G13R 2 of 90

G13D 2 of 90

KIT:

G565V/N822I 1 of 90

P577L 1 of 90

I have a even bigger list, that includes other cancers, but I do not want to confuse anyone further, so I will leave it out.

Michael

MichaelFL
                        Participant

Keep in mind that concerning BRAF, the majority of the clinical trials are done with the V600E mutation being positive. I believe there are also a few with the V600K mutation as well. Without checking clinicaltrials.gov, I am not sure about the V600R or the rest, but as far as I remember, I do not think there are any trials for the other mutations listed.

Michael

JerryfromFauq
                          Participant

I believe the PDGF PLX4032 only takes the V600E-BRAF mutational tumors._

At one time  the  GSK trials took any positive BRAF mutation.  If ne is beiing tested for the PlX4032 trial they will be told that they are BRAF negative even if they have any of the other BrAF proteiins/Mutations.  One must understand exactly what tst is really being run.and what the terms positive and negative mean for that particular test..

JerryfromFauq
                            Participant

OOP's wrong info in clipboard.   I believe the Plexion/Roche PLX4032 only takes the V600E-BRAF mutational tumors

JerryfromFauq
                              Participant

OOP's wrong info in clipboard.   I believe the Plexion/Roche PLX4032 only takes the V600E-BRAF mutational tumors

JerryfromFauq
                                Participant

I believe the PDGF PLX4032 only takes the V600E-BRAF mutational tumors._

At one time  the  GSK trials took any positive BRAF mutation.  If ne is beiing tested for the PlX4032 trial they will be told that they are BRAF negative even if they have any of the other BrAF proteiins/Mutations.  One must understand exactly what tst is really being run.and what the terms positive and negative mean for that particular test..

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

Thanks for the mutational listing.  I like it.  Send me yoour URL reference, please.  Thanks, Jerry

JerryfromFauq
                                    Participant

Thanks for the mutational listing.  I like it.  Send me yoour URL reference, please.  Thanks, Jerry

MichaelFL
                                      Participant

Keep in mind that concerning BRAF, the majority of the clinical trials are done with the V600E mutation being positive. I believe there are also a few with the V600K mutation as well. Without checking clinicaltrials.gov, I am not sure about the V600R or the rest, but as far as I remember, I do not think there are any trials for the other mutations listed.

Michael

MichaelFL
                                        Participant

I hope this does not confuse you, but here it is in a nutshell:

In relation to BRAF: Codons 595-600 of Exon 15 of the BRAF proto-oncogene are usually checked as it is the most common area for the mutation, and #600 is usually called the “hot spot” as that is where they mostly occur. (In the study below, exon 11 was also tested)

In relation to NRAS: Exons 2 and 3 may be checked, and Codons 12, 13 and 61, (61 is also most common area) are usually tested.

Here are some of the more common ones. Out of 90 melanoma samples that were analyzed in a study, 85 came back with results. It also included NRAS and KIT.

BRAF—Exon 15:

V600E 60 of 90 (amount of 90 positive)

V600K 5 of 90

V600R 1 of 90

BRAF—Exon 11:

G469A 1 of 90

NRAS—Exon 3:

Q61K 5 of 90

Q61L 2 of 90

Q61R 5 of 90

NRAS—Exon 2:

G13R 2 of 90

G13D 2 of 90

KIT:

G565V/N822I 1 of 90

P577L 1 of 90

I have a even bigger list, that includes other cancers, but I do not want to confuse anyone further, so I will leave it out.

Michael

Hope Returning
                                          Participant

Thanks a lot for the information. It will be very usefull. Thanks a lot.

shellebrownies
                                          Participant

BRAF test has to come from a melanoma tumor tissue sample. I believe they have to isolate DNA from the tumor and then look for the BRAF genetic mutation. Usually takes 2-3 weeks to get the result, assuming they got a good, viable sample. 

In our case, my husband's original tumor sample didn't have have enough of what they need to process the BRAF. Luckily, since they had to take a sample from a liver lesion to verify his staging, they took another sample then. He did end up testing positive for this mutation.

If you have any measurable disease, I would highly recommend getting this test done. It's good information to have and can save you time later on if you need to choose medical trials.

Michelle, wife of Don

Tim–MRF

Lot's of great information from other posts.  I will just add one note.  In order to get the Roche/Genentech drug, called PLX4032 or vemurafenib, your tumor must test positive on the test that Roche makes.  Even if you have a positive test for BRAF V600e mutation from a certified lab using a certified kit, you cannot get into a clinical trial or the expanded access (compassionate use) program unless you test positive with the Roche kit.

Once the FDA approves the drug that requirement may go away.  The "label" may simply specify a positive V600e test by a certified lab.

And you may all know this, but the name "vemurafenib" was derived from the "v" and "e" in V600e, then "mu" for "mutation" and "raf" from BRAF.  Amazing that someone actually thinks of this stuff.

Tim–MRF

dian in spokane
                                                Participant

Thanks Tim and thanks Michael for all the info. I received a note from the Cell Biology lab down in california yesterday telling me they had some of my tumor cell samples and would like permission to dispose of it. I was thinking I might try to see if that could be tested for BRAF mutation, but had some memory that the actual trial would require a new test, so your info is timely.

I also wondered how they came up with that name. What about 'Yervoy'? how'd they get that? very interesting.

dian

dian in spokane
                                                  Participant

Thanks Tim and thanks Michael for all the info. I received a note from the Cell Biology lab down in california yesterday telling me they had some of my tumor cell samples and would like permission to dispose of it. I was thinking I might try to see if that could be tested for BRAF mutation, but had some memory that the actual trial would require a new test, so your info is timely.

I also wondered how they came up with that name. What about 'Yervoy'? how'd they get that? very interesting.

dian

Tim–MRF

Lot's of great information from other posts.  I will just add one note.  In order to get the Roche/Genentech drug, called PLX4032 or vemurafenib, your tumor must test positive on the test that Roche makes.  Even if you have a positive test for BRAF V600e mutation from a certified lab using a certified kit, you cannot get into a clinical trial or the expanded access (compassionate use) program unless you test positive with the Roche kit.

Once the FDA approves the drug that requirement may go away.  The "label" may simply specify a positive V600e test by a certified lab.

And you may all know this, but the name "vemurafenib" was derived from the "v" and "e" in V600e, then "mu" for "mutation" and "raf" from BRAF.  Amazing that someone actually thinks of this stuff.

Tim–MRF

Viewing 3 reply threads
                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics