The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Houston, we do not have a problem.

Forums General Melanoma Community Houston, we do not have a problem.

Participant

7 year checkup at MDA in Houston went well. So well that they said coming back in the future is optional. I'm officially NED a little over 7 years from Stage IIA. They are comfortable with me having annual checkups at home w/ my Derm now if I am, but are happy to have me there if I prefer. They did say that my Derm won't do chest xray or bloodwork, but also told me that recent studies/research may soon change protocol so that they also do not do chest xray or bloodwork for stage II anyway. So all in all, a happy day. I love MDA and believe they saved my life.

7 year checkup at MDA in Houston went well. So well that they said coming back in the future is optional. I'm officially NED a little over 7 years from Stage IIA. They are comfortable with me having annual checkups at home w/ my Derm now if I am, but are happy to have me there if I prefer. They did say that my Derm won't do chest xray or bloodwork, but also told me that recent studies/research may soon change protocol so that they also do not do chest xray or bloodwork for stage II anyway. So all in all, a happy day. I love MDA and believe they saved my life. But it feels good to be told they are ok if I don't come back!!  Never been so happy to be told to go away.   Now…………gotta address some heart issues. Might be getting a stint or bypass soon (i'm only 41). But 7 years ago I was afraid I wouldn't be here this long, so what's a little heart repair?  I spent many years of anxiety with melanoma, testing, and questionable spots in my liver, lungs, and breast. It feels good to be past the anxiety of melanoma on a daily basis. I still respect it. But I don't fear it. And it put many things in my life in perspective, such as heart surgery. It's just another bump in the road.

Hope this gives everyone encouragement, especially those stage I and stage II survivors. I wish you all many years of health and happiness and abundant prayers, and I'll be back next year with another thumbs up. God bless everyone on this board.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Linny
        Participant

That is great news!!!! Congratulations on having reached this milestone! When my brother was your age he'd had two balloon angioplasties. He turned 69 this year and is doing great. Technology has come a long way since he had he procedures done so I'm sure you're going to do fine.

Linny
          Participant

That is great news!!!! Congratulations on having reached this milestone! When my brother was your age he'd had two balloon angioplasties. He turned 69 this year and is doing great. Technology has come a long way since he had he procedures done so I'm sure you're going to do fine.

Linny
            Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics