The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

High Liver Count

Forums General Melanoma Community High Liver Count

Participant

Hello,

I am on Nivolumab and was doing well with it.  My latest bloodwork showed elevated AST and ALT levels.  The doctor has taken me off of treatment and put me on steroids in an effort to bring the levels back down.  I was wondering if anyone with a similar experience was able to get back on treatment after the steroids were successful in returning your liver levels back to normal?

Mark

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        MikeW
        Participant

I don't have answers…I'm in the same boat right now on pembro but I thought I'd pass along my story and keep you posted….my liver enzymes 'inched up'…took steriods and it came down in 5 days and now I'm tapering off steriods. I'll do another blood lab tomorrow and we'll re-assess. 

My doc said…this means we've activated your immune system so that's a good thing. I may have to wait until the first scan in two more weeks before we get back on the therapy.  I've heard other folks go back on afterwards. 

ed williams
          Participant

How high were the levels Mark?

I had elevated AST and ALT levels after my second combiation treatment with Ipi/Nivo.  I was on steroids and cellcept to bring the numbers down.  I'm on only Nivolumab treatments now.  Not exactly the same but similar.  It took about 3 months to get my liver numbers down however they have been good so far and I just had my third Nivo treatment today.  Dr. Buchbinder said usually there is a 50% chance the liver will react upon restarting treatment but there is no way to tell who will react again.  She had also told me that sometimes patients don't need to restart treatment.  Hopefully you are in this group.  

Casitas1
            Participant
              Hey Mark, I made it through 2 combo treatments before autoimmune pancreatitis. Was on steroids 6 weeks. We tried Nivo. alone but only made it through 2 single doses due to liver counts at 1000 over ten times normal back on steroids 6 weeks. Switched to Pembro after 4 weeks of low dose chemo and had complete response with normal liver counts… Best,Paul
              raun cesar
              Participant

To bring down the AST and ALT levels steroids are good, thought they will take time combined with nevo treatment my doc is confident with the progress

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics