The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Hi Ho Hi Ho…off to Houston we go!

Forums General Melanoma Community Hi Ho Hi Ho…off to Houston we go!

Participant

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update on hubby, cause my life is really crazy!!!  Haven't been on here for a couple months.  After Dirk was taken off of IPI (yervoy) in May,  he started on the E-7080 trial.  It's been two and a half cycles, yesterday, our UCLA oncologist pulled him from this trial, too many new tumors growing. This brings our time at UCLA to an end

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update on hubby, cause my life is really crazy!!!  Haven't been on here for a couple months.  After Dirk was taken off of IPI (yervoy) in May,  he started on the E-7080 trial.  It's been two and a half cycles, yesterday, our UCLA oncologist pulled him from this trial, too many new tumors growing. This brings our time at UCLA to an end

Dirk has an appointment with Dr Papadopoulas at MD Anderson in Houston on August 9th.  He believes that this move will give him the best choice of treatment options. I am driving the family, leaving on Tuesday, July 26th.  So long, Southern California, hello Texas…Dirk says he'll be saying "ya'all" in no time!  

Working hard to ensure that the move goes smoothly, and all of "my stuff, his crap" gets there safe and in one piece.  After this, I need a vacation!!   Still trying to arrange transport for our other auto to TX and find us a permanent place to live there.  Luckily, MD Anderson staff have been very helpful in finding us short term lodging until we can find our way around.

I will have to change my sign in name, no more "Jan in OC".   lol

Viewing 10 reply threads
    • Replies
        gabsound
        Participant
          Jan and Dirk,
          Best of luck to you on the move and creating a new home. Most of all hoping you find the treatment that works.

That takes some guts.
          Admiring you from Las Vegas

Julie

Jan in OC
            Participant

LOL   No guts here…just pure insanity, playing the cards we are dealt (a little vegas humor!).  And if houston doesn't work out, we are free to move anywhere we need.  Thanks to the bank that our tax dollars bailed out, we no longer own a house…just a truckload of memories!  We are considering this a new adventure.  When on trips, we just get off the highway and drive the little country roads, getting "lost".  We have had some great adventures and met wonderful people, so will continue our journey.

Jan in OC

Jan in OC
              Participant

LOL   No guts here…just pure insanity, playing the cards we are dealt (a little vegas humor!).  And if houston doesn't work out, we are free to move anywhere we need.  Thanks to the bank that our tax dollars bailed out, we no longer own a house…just a truckload of memories!  We are considering this a new adventure.  When on trips, we just get off the highway and drive the little country roads, getting "lost".  We have had some great adventures and met wonderful people, so will continue our journey.

Jan in OC

gabsound
              Participant
                Jan and Dirk,
                Best of luck to you on the move and creating a new home. Most of all hoping you find the treatment that works.

That takes some guts.
                Admiring you from Las Vegas

Julie

triciad
                Participant

Jan and Dirk,

My thoughts and prayers are with you for a successful move to Houston.  I used to go there a lot on business, and the people are wonderful.  Start listening to country music and practicing your two-step!  Best of luck to you both on your new adventure and treatment!!!

Tricia

Vermont_Donna
                    Participant

Dear Jan and Dirk,

Well melanoma warriors never cease to amaze me, I have read of others up and moving to a treatment center area that has the treatment they want/need. I am sorry that it has come to you not having your house aymore but you sound so flexible and are rolling with what your reality has to be. I know you have a full plate with your caring for your handicapped daughter and fighting melanoma, moving, tracking down treatments, etc. I admire you both so much, and of course hoping that MD Anderson is the magic bullet for Dirk. Glad to hear how helpful staff have been with helping you with lodging, etc. There is that list of resources that can help with other things as well….not sure how you access it here but search the threads for cancer resources.

Good luck, and happy safe traveling to Texas!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

Vermont_Donna
                      Participant

Dear Jan and Dirk,

Well melanoma warriors never cease to amaze me, I have read of others up and moving to a treatment center area that has the treatment they want/need. I am sorry that it has come to you not having your house aymore but you sound so flexible and are rolling with what your reality has to be. I know you have a full plate with your caring for your handicapped daughter and fighting melanoma, moving, tracking down treatments, etc. I admire you both so much, and of course hoping that MD Anderson is the magic bullet for Dirk. Glad to hear how helpful staff have been with helping you with lodging, etc. There is that list of resources that can help with other things as well….not sure how you access it here but search the threads for cancer resources.

Good luck, and happy safe traveling to Texas!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

triciad
                      Participant

Jan and Dirk,

My thoughts and prayers are with you for a successful move to Houston.  I used to go there a lot on business, and the people are wonderful.  Start listening to country music and practicing your two-step!  Best of luck to you both on your new adventure and treatment!!!

Tricia

Drew N
                        Participant

Welcome to H-town. And welcome to MDA. It's the only cancer center I've ever known, and I have only positive stories to share. Might just see you up on the 9th floor sometime.

One tip: check out Shadow Creek Ranch off highway 288. It's a huge development and there are a ton of foreclosures… and it's only about 15 minute south of MDA. You might luck into a sweet lease, as it's hard to sell with all those vacant homes. I'm not a realtor, but the area is in my community college's district.

Good luck and feel free to contact me with any questions.

Drew Nelson

Drew N
                          Participant

Welcome to H-town. And welcome to MDA. It's the only cancer center I've ever known, and I have only positive stories to share. Might just see you up on the 9th floor sometime.

One tip: check out Shadow Creek Ranch off highway 288. It's a huge development and there are a ton of foreclosures… and it's only about 15 minute south of MDA. You might luck into a sweet lease, as it's hard to sell with all those vacant homes. I'm not a realtor, but the area is in my community college's district.

Good luck and feel free to contact me with any questions.

Drew Nelson

PhyllisP
                            Participant

Hi all.  I am another MDA patient.  I see Dr. Lucci(surg) and Dr. P Hwu(onc).  Stage IIIa, currently NED.  I have scans on Aug. 8 and see Dr. Hwu on the 9th.  I live NW of Houston near Cypress. Let me know if I can help in any way.  I will make one point–be prepared for the heat and humidity!  I have lived in the area my entire life and sometimes it gets to me.  At least we have A/C everywhere.

Phyllis

Bosandi
                                Participant
                                  Hi all and welcome to houston Jan & Dirk!

I live near Shadow Creek Ranch. It’s a very nice area w/ lots of new shopping areas.

Phyllis,
                                  I’m an MDA patient too. I was scheduled to see dr. Hwu on Oct 13th but my appt was pushed back to Oct 26th. Currently, I’m stage IIIa NED. My last surgery was sept 12th with dr. M.Ross. As you can imagine I’m anxious about my treatment options. How was/is your experience with Dr. Hwu?

Brandi

Bosandi
                                  Participant

I live near Shadow Creek Ranch. It’s a very nice area w/ lots of new shopping areas.

Phyllis,
                                    I’m an MDA patient too. I was scheduled to see dr. Hwu on Oct 13th but my appt was pushed back to Oct 26th. Currently, I’m stage IIIa NED. My last surgery was sept 12th with dr. M.Ross. As you can imagine I’m anxious about my treatment options. How was/is your experience with Dr. Hwu?

Brandi

Bosandi
                                    Participant

Phyllis,

Brandi

PhyllisP
                                    Participant

Hi all.  I am another MDA patient.  I see Dr. Lucci(surg) and Dr. P Hwu(onc).  Stage IIIa, currently NED.  I have scans on Aug. 8 and see Dr. Hwu on the 9th.  I live NW of Houston near Cypress. Let me know if I can help in any way.  I will make one point–be prepared for the heat and humidity!  I have lived in the area my entire life and sometimes it gets to me.  At least we have A/C everywhere.

Phyllis

NYKaren
                                      Participant

Hi Jan and Dirk,

Safe travels, and I truly hope you find the "right stuff."

all the best,

karen

NYKaren
                                        Participant

Hi Jan and Dirk,

all the best,

karen

NYKaren
                                          Participant

Hi Jan and Dirk,

all the best,

karen

Viewing 10 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics