The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Hepatotoxicity with Combination of Vemurafenib and Ipilimumab

Forums General Melanoma Community Hepatotoxicity with Combination of Vemurafenib and Ipilimumab

• Replies
      POW
      Participant

Thank you for posting this information. The last line of the report should be of particular interest to melanoma patients: "The results of this phase 1 study highlight the risk of concurrent administration of vemurafenib and ipilimumab. Our findings reinforce the need for carefully conducted trials of new combination therapies, even when both agents have regulatory approval and have distinct mechanisms of action."

We are all sorely tempted to push for better and faster treatments and combining approved therapies seems to be a good way to do that. But going forward, we will have to wait patiently for clinical trials of such combnations because strange and unexpected things can happen. Sad but true.

awillett1991
          Participant
            We are still dealing with a disease with no cure and I believe we must pick the best doctors we can and with our own knowledge, use their advice and accept the risks. Many therapies are done with known highly toxic responses, such as HD IL2 or biochemo.

Fortunately my liver recovered and I have no regrets. I think they are focusing trials on how to best sequence Ipi & Zel now.

Bubbles
            Participant

Hey Buddy!!

Good intel. Thanks for posting.  It is a tricky business….how much you can do to a body to kill the melanoma (or cancer de jour) without doing irreparable damage to the body itself.  Obviously we have much to learn.  And…the only way to learn is through lab rats like me and the zillion others out there.  Bottom line…we need to have the say, the vote….regarding what we choose to try…in order to avoid the necessary (otherwise) result of our "untreatable"/"deadly" disease.  No melanoma…No vote. Granted this should be an informed choice, with the best data possible.  It seems to me that combination therapies…like this…in some form…will be the future treatment for those of us living with melanoma.  More poor ratties will have to be utilized to figure out the balance needed.  But…I think we will get there.

Thanks. Hang tough, my friend.  C

gloria
              Participant

So thankful there are willing "ratties" like you.  Thanks you from all of us.

gloria
                Participant

gloria
                  Participant

gloria
                    Participant

gloria
                      Participant

gloria
                        Participant

Bubbles
                          Participant

Hey Buddy!!

Good intel. Thanks for posting.  It is a tricky business….how much you can do to a body to kill the melanoma (or cancer de jour) without doing irreparable damage to the body itself.  Obviously we have much to learn.  And…the only way to learn is through lab rats like me and the zillion others out there.  Bottom line…we need to have the say, the vote….regarding what we choose to try…in order to avoid the necessary (otherwise) result of our "untreatable"/"deadly" disease.  No melanoma…No vote. Granted this should be an informed choice, with the best data possible.  It seems to me that combination therapies…like this…in some form…will be the future treatment for those of us living with melanoma.  More poor ratties will have to be utilized to figure out the balance needed.  But…I think we will get there.

Bubbles
                            Participant

Hey Buddy!!

awillett1991
                              Participant
                                We are still dealing with a disease with no cure and I believe we must pick the best doctors we can and with our own knowledge, use their advice and accept the risks. Many therapies are done with known highly toxic responses, such as HD IL2 or biochemo.

Fortunately my liver recovered and I have no regrets. I think they are focusing trials on how to best sequence Ipi & Zel now.

awillett1991
                                Participant

POW
                                Participant

Thank you for posting this information. The last line of the report should be of particular interest to melanoma patients: "The results of this phase 1 study highlight the risk of concurrent administration of vemurafenib and ipilimumab. Our findings reinforce the need for carefully conducted trials of new combination therapies, even when both agents have regulatory approval and have distinct mechanisms of action."

We are all sorely tempted to push for better and faster treatments and combining approved therapies seems to be a good way to do that. But going forward, we will have to wait patiently for clinical trials of such combnations because strange and unexpected things can happen. Sad but true.

POW
                                  Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics