The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Help with suggestions for Anne-louise

Forums General Melanoma Community Help with suggestions for Anne-louise

Participant

Hi all. 

My pet scan on Tuesday shows new uptake in media Steinem. SUV 13.5 neck and on my liver. The report says that inflammation can't be discounted due to my previous severe muscular inflammation. However that inflammation has practically disappeared since I've been on sulfazalazine. So my gut feeling is that the melanoma is back. 

Oncologist suggests trying to biopsy the spots with a respiratory doctor or a vats surgeon so we know what we're dealing with. My husband just wants me to go straight onto pembro or nivo/ipi. 

I am feeling well. I seem to always feel better when the Mel is growing and worse when on pembro!

what would you do? Are there any other options or trials?

i did pembro for 9 months in 2014/15. Lower right lobe resection nov 2016. And I'm braf negative

any advice much appreciated

anne-Louise 

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jahendry12
        Participant

Sorry you are dealing with the 'unknown' again. Personally, I would do a biopsy. 3 times my husband has had things show up on PET scans and biopsies proved it negative for melanoma. He had VATS once and they also took a lymph node and both proved to be negative. My thoughts are why go on treatment if you don't need to. That's just my 2 cents. 

Bubbles
          Participant

Hey Anne- Louise.  So sorry that you are facing ONE. MORE. THING.  First and foremost, I agree that you need a biopsy to see what you are really dealing with.  It really could be something other than melanoma, so you need to be sure exactly what it is so that it can be addressed appropriately.  

My first thought re treatment for melanoma…should that be determined to be the culprit, were I in your shoes, would be an anti-PD-1 with epacadostat trial.  As good a response rate as ipi/nivo with much fewer side effects.  For awhile there, there was a trial using that combo on folks who had progressed on pembro specifically.  However, a look at clinicaltrials.gov this morning shows that while there are three active trials…with either a nivo/epacadostat or the pembro/epacadostat combo….they all have prior anti-PD-1 as an exclusion.  GRRRRRR!!!!  So…here's a deal:  You figure out what is truly going on and I will keep looking for a good option should you need it.  All the while keeping fingers and toes crossed that you will not!!!

Hang tough and keep us posted.  Much love, celeste

Jubes
            Participant

Thank you all. I will keep you posted!!

Bubbles
              Participant

My dear friend Eric found this, Anne Louise and I think it is worth talking to your doc about if you are at all interested….

Here's the trial:  https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT02658890?term=BMS-986205&cntry1=PA%3AAU&rank=1&show_locs=Y#locn  

This trial combines BMS-986205 with a couple of dosing arms of Nivo or an arm that combines it with Ipi/Nivo.  It is offered at several sites in Australia.  It does mention autoimmune disease as a possible exclusion.  A little worried about your prior trouble with pembro. Not sure how that would be viewed, how you feel about it and what your doc would think.  But, it seems like an option worth checking into.

BMS-986205 is an IDO inhibitor.  Here's a report on it:  http://www.onclive.com/conference-coverage/aacr-2017/novel-ido1-inhibitor-shows-promise-in-early-phase-study  

Big hugs!!!  love, c

Jubes
                  Participant

Hi Celeste. I will ask my doctor. He has mentioned that my auto immune reactions might exclude me from some trials. Is BMS 986205 epacadostat?

thanks!!

Jubes
                    Participant

But I think I'll be pushing for it anyway!

Bubbles
                      Participant

No.  Epacadostat is an IDO inhibitor made by Incyte.  This one is an IDO inhibitor made by BMS (Bristol Myers Squibb).  Yes, being on any immunotherapy (ipi, pembo, nivo) may be tricky for you….but forewarned is forearmed and you and your doc can watch things closely if you end up doing one.  hugs….c

Viewing 3 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics